icon

JL Audio Subs

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
furkloven 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2004 at 3:57 PM / IP Logged  

the 12w7 is .3 dB more sensitive than the 12w6v2...then how much more sensitive would 2 of the 12w6v2 be than 1 12w7? 12w7..86.2 dB efficiency and the 12w6v2 is 85.9 dB efficiency

furkloven 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2004 at 3:59 PM / IP Logged  

the 12w7 is .3 dB more sensitive than the 12w6v2...then how much more sensitive would 2 of the 12w6v2 be than 1 12w7? 12w7..86.2 dB efficiency and the 12w6v2 is 85.9 dB efficiency..i just dont see the point in a w7 if i can get 2 w6v2's for about the same price...that are louder and possibly sound better , in my opinion the w7 is like a fad or something i dont see whats so cool about it

ksin291 
Copper - Posts: 114
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2004 at 6:30 PM / IP Logged  

furkloven wrote:
the 1000/1 puts out full power at any impedance between 1.5-4 ohms due to the RIPS technology it was built upon. if you dont believe me go to jlaudio's website to verify it.

No sh*t, I was simply stating that it works well with the W7 because it puts out full power at 1.5 ohms while most other amps in this class need to go down to 1 ohm to put out full power, it's an odd ohm number so it's hard to match to an amp to get the full power to the sub. So before you start going off you should make sure what I  was stating in my post  to begin with.

furkloven 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2004 at 6:54 PM / IP Logged  
sorry man misunderstood your post, i thought you meant that it only put out that power at 1.5 ohms..anyways can you tell me anything about my question in my previous post?
ksin291 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2004 at 7:48 PM / IP Logged  
People generally go with a 1 W7 if they want around the same power that 2 12w6v2's will put out, unless of course we're talking about a 13w7 which puts out 1000 watts rms. I will tell you that I have heard 2 12w6v2's in a ported enclosure and 1 12w7 in a ported enclosure, both were being pushed by a 1000/1 and the w7 owned the w6's. Now that could of been due to other factors such as different hu's and such but I know that the enclosure's were built at the same place so were of the same quality and while hu's make a difference I don't think it can account for the type of difference I heard between the subs. But hey if you get 2 12w6v2's and build the right enclosure for it, power them right and I'm sure you will not be disappointed. I know that I am very happy with mine. Of course there are other options such as the brahma from adire audio which is in the same class as the w7 and cost half as much. I have personally heard one and I must tell you it was amazing, I have a 15" tempest from Adire that I put in my wife's car with a 600 watt amp pushing it and that sub sounds damn good, very clean and very deep and it only cost me $150 shipped.
netboy 
Copper - Posts: 108
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2004 at 8:16 PM / IP Logged  
What do you guys know about the new memphis M3 subs?  The ones that replaced the HPO subs?
Memphis MC-1300
2 12" JLw6v2
Diamond audio M3 6x9
Diamond audio M3 5.25 components
Audio control Matrix
Carputer
furkloven 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2004 at 8:18 PM / IP Logged  

are the products sold by stores unauthorized to sell jl audio products..such as onlinecarstereo.com or procaraudio.com...of the same quality as products sold by jl authorized dealers? are these dealers legit?? if you have any neg/positive experience with these dealers please post...

ksin291 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2004 at 10:24 PM / IP Logged  
There is no way to tell what these stores are selling, for the most part I believe that it's the same stuff that you can buy from an authorized dealer but that is a risk you run. The stuff purchased from an authorized dealer will be covered by jl without a doubt were as unauthorized dealers can only offer their warranty which can be good or bad depending on the dealer. You just never know, I have not had any of my JL products fail but if I did at least I know that it would be covered by JL. Then again my friend bought his XR's, w7 and 1000/1 from ebay over a year and a half ago and he hasn't had a problem yet. It all depends on how much risk you are willing to tolerate to save a few bucks, in my opinion it's worth spending a little extra cash to have piece of mind. Besides if you live in a major metropolitan area you should have quite a few JL dealers around and should be able to shop around for a good price. I got very good prices on all my stuff and it was all purchased from an authorized dealer.
ksin291 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2004 at 10:30 PM / IP Logged  

netboy

I have used Memphis Car Audio gear, in fact my car was all Memphis until recently. M3 subs are really good, I had last years model (HPO's) in a sealed enclosure being pushed by a Memphis ST-1000D (1100 watts @ 1ohm) I also had memphis studio components upfront being pushed by a Memphis ST-300. The HPO's hit very hard, deep and clean and I never had a problem with them, I ran that setup for about a year until I sold all my Memphis stuff. The only reason I switched out was because I wanted to reclaim some trunk space and I have always loved JL Audio stuff. But if you are looking at HPO's they are definitely a solid sub and can be had for a reasonable price, just make sure you power them well, they are very underrated.

netboy 
Copper - Posts: 108
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2004 at 10:54 PM / IP Logged  
Well the M3s are going to be ran by the Belle which in essence is same as  your ST-1000d
Memphis MC-1300
2 12" JLw6v2
Diamond audio M3 6x9
Diamond audio M3 5.25 components
Audio control Matrix
Carputer
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic