icon

sub enclosure joined into truck bed

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
its_chevy_baby 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2004 at 9:46 AM / IP Logged  
I was wondering if and how can i join the cab and bed together to fit my subs flush against the back of my cab because i have an s-10 and there isnt very much room behind the seats. i have two 12" audiobahn subs with a flamed chrome basket and i want to be able to show the basket off. I was wondering how to make an enclosure to house the two subs and to have a clear back to it so i can show the chrome baskets through the bed of my truck
[]d[][]v[][]d
Trinity 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2004 at 3:38 PM / IP Logged  
break out the warrantty killer, THE SAWSAW
soup 
Copper - Posts: 79
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2004 at 5:33 AM / IP Logged  

If it was an SPL truck, I would just say get a welder, and a sawz-all and go to town, but by the sounds of it, it will be a daily driver. You need to keep the box moving free from the cab. You need to create a grommet to go in between. I have only seen one in person and up close once. I am not sure how exactly they fabricated the rubber grommet to go inbetween, but basically, you cut out a hole, reinforce around where you cut out, put in the grommet and seal it, then start to build your box on either side. If you are running your subs free air, then all you need is a mounting plate in between, and the back of your subs will be viewable from the trunk bed (of course you will need a topper or something to shield from the weather) Or you could build a box, then put plexi glass on theback to show the subs.

Basically the hardest part is sealing around the box and the cab. Good luck! It won't be easy, let us know how it goes!

audiomechanic 
Silver - Posts: 388
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2004 at 7:37 AM / IP Logged  
you can get the grommet from a place that sells truck caps. i think it is about $5 a foot. it is called an accordian boot. also keep in mind that the bed sits an inch or so higher than the cab in most trucks. so make sure the holes line up when you cut them.
its_chevy_baby 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2004 at 9:02 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the replies ill keep you posted with pictures.
[]d[][]v[][]d
defective 
Silver - Posts: 642
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2004 at 10:47 AM / IP Logged  

i have a customer who has a seamless cab and bed.... they've been joined for show appeal..... do you think i would suffer any consequences if i were to cut out the cab and bed to put a box through them?..... would there still be any flex? and would the glass deal with it without breaking?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic