icon

Cap or Alternator?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Jay T 
Copper - Posts: 169
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2004 at 1:54 PM / IP Logged  

8g wire to a fused distro block then 8 gauge to:  400w Kenwood 4 channel, 400w Power Inverter / PS2, 14 guage to:  10.4" lcd, and DIN DVD player.

I haven't had any problems with the carging system or battery.  Its a full size ford van.  100 or so amp alternator. My question is.... When I have big bass hits the lights on the the distro block (series of led's) dim like i'm drawing too much power.  But all my electrical components IE headlights, dash lights, heater fan etc. don't even budge and I haven't seen them dim ever once.  Is this a concern at all? Would a cap on the amp solve this problem? I don't really think its the alternator. Maybe battery? Mabye Upgrade Initial wire before block to 4g?

Thanks!

Feedback is greatly appreciated.

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2004 at 2:26 PM / IP Logged  
Your situation is one of the few instances where a cap might help you.  It cwertainly won't hurt to try one.
Jay T 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2004 at 2:28 PM / IP Logged  

I thought it might, but after researching about 50 posts everyone is always saying "don't buy a cap you don't need it"

I'll pick up a .5 or 1 farad cap and give it a shot I guess. couldn't hurt.  Now, would I mount it between the battery and distribution block? or distro block and amp? 

thanks again.

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2004 at 2:42 PM / IP Logged  

It really doesn't matter where it ties into the circuit.  I usually suggest mounting them on the battery side of the distru block and using a seperate ground for them if you can.  Basic circuit in case you need it:

Cap or Alternator? -- posted image.

customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2004 at 4:15 PM / IP Logged  
Try to keep it pretty close to the amp.
cheagreen 
Copper - Posts: 62
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2004 at 5:54 PM / IP Logged  

I would suggest investing in a HO alternator. It really makes upgrading anytime in the future, MUCH easier.

Head Unit:Pioneer-Deh-1600
Fronts:Kicker 6x8 S57's
Front Amp:Coustic PowerLogic Amp460
Rear Fill:Stock 6x8's
Subs: 2 10" JL Audio W3's
Sub Amp: JBL bp600.1
Wiring: KnuKonceptz
Jay T 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2004 at 6:03 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks guys.

I"m gonna try a .5 farad cap first only because my amp is relatively small and I don't think I"m having any alternator problems. After that I believe there is an OEM 130amp alternator for my van that should only cost me about $150.

Thanks for the help 

superstreet786 
Silver - Posts: 339
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2004 at 7:07 PM / IP Logged  
just get a high output alternator
---- 1996 Chevy S10 ----
1 Lightning Audio S2.600.2 Amp
2 Lightning Audio 12" Subs
1 Lightning Audio 1 Farad Cap
iwmaudio 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2004 at 11:13 AM / IP Logged  
Just remember that caps are like a band aid and they don't ever solve the problem 100%, especially if you are planning on adding more stuff in the future.  The way I refer to it is that the alternator is the heart of the vehicle's electrical system, and with a big strong heart, anything is possible, but with an average heart (alternator) you will get average performance.  Everything in the car electrically is based on the performance of the alternator, and a high output alternator will allow you to solve your problem and upgrade in the future.  They aren't cheap, but they aren't expensive either.  If someone is willing to spend over $3000 for a system, then what is spending $250-$400 to make sure it all works properly and efficiently.  If interested in a high amp alternator, just let me know the year, make, model, and engine size and I can let you know what we can do...
Jay T 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2004 at 1:57 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for all the input dudes.

I'm gonna go with a Cap first mostly because I haven't  hade and failing alternator signs or anything like that.  Secondly because my amp is fairly small and can't really be drawing that many amps.

If I do need an alternator though. I'm gonna go with a Ford OEM one.  They make higher output ones that bolt in to my application painlessly, and are relatively cheap compared to aftermarket ones.

Thanks Agian!

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic