icon

Testing Used Speakers

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
four door 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2004 at 11:26 AM / IP Logged  

Amature installer needs advice! I want to test used speakers before I purchase them to see if they work. Is their a simple/inexpensive device to test speakers without hooking the speakers up to a 12 volt power source(headunit/amp)?

four door
ravenndude 
Silver - Posts: 250
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2004 at 12:07 PM / IP Logged  
get a 9V (or a lil bigger) battery and connect it to both leads .... you'll see the speaker move out when you connect it and and in when you take it away. One of my friends told me this so i could terst the speakers i got from ebay. Also helps to determine the polarity if you are unsure. If the dust cap moves out the terminel connected to the + of the battery is the + term. If the dust cap moves in the term connected to the + is the battery is the - term
Ketel22 
Silver - Posts: 976
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2004 at 2:57 PM / IP Logged  
buying used speaker is not always a great idea, unless you can tell the history of them. the previous user may have treated them badly, overpowered them or run a distorted signal to them causing the life of the speakers to be shorter.
Quad L Handyman services
four door 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2004 at 4:06 PM / IP Logged  

The cost of new OEM Lexus dealer Nakamichi LS400 speakers is absurd so I'm going to purchase some from a salvage yard. Hopefully the used speakers will still be in good shape and not abused by the prior owners. I want to test them before I go to the trouble of taking the doors apart. Thanks for the advice re the 9 volt battery and leads. If this doesn't work any recommendations on aftermarket 4" midrange component speakers (20-40 watt). Could I disable the tweeter in aftermarket two way speakers to duplicate the original component speakers?

four door
Alien509 
Member - Posts: 42
Member spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2004 at 6:26 PM / IP Logged  
Put your hand on the cone, push it in and out to feel how loose it is. If it's extremely loose then the speakers are near the end of their life, if it's mildly lose then that means that the speakers are broken in, if there is much resistance to your push then the speakers have barely been put through anything.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2004 at 7:06 PM / IP Logged  

four door wrote:
The cost of new OEM Lexus dealer Nakamichi LS400 speakers is absurd so I'm going to purchase some from a salvage yard. Hopefully the used speakers will still be in good shape and not abused by the prior owners. I want to test them before I go to the trouble of taking the doors apart. Thanks for the advice re the 9 volt battery and leads. If this doesn't work any recommendations on aftermarket 4" midrange component speakers (20-40 watt). Could I disable the tweeter in aftermarket two way speakers to duplicate the original component speakers?

Yes, OEM prices are always obsene and not nearly the quality of aftermarket equipment, even in the Lexus Nak system.  I assume you need to replace your stock speakers because they failed?  That is unusual.  What heppened?

But, to answer your question, there are some very nice 4" comp sets available from Memphis Audio, MB Quart, Diamond Audio, Focal, and JBL that will rival the aftermarket Nakamichi sets and will blow away the OEM components.

In terms of installing a 4" co-ax and disconnecting the tweeter, yes, this could be done, but it may not be the best solution.  If you just need to replace your 4" mid drivers, take a look at Parts Express and see if they have a Vifa or Morel or Audax 4" driver in your price range.

four door 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2004 at 7:59 PM / IP Logged  
Really appreciate all the terrific advice re inspecting the speakers. My '92 LS400 had a stock Pioneer/ Lexus premium audio system with no cd changer. So far I have been able to upgrade the system with a OEM Lexus Nakamichi headunit with cd changer controls, Nakamichi subwoofer amp and Nakamichi subwoofer all from a '92 LS400. The CD changer is a Pioneer/ Lexus from a '95 ES300 with a custom cd changer cable. All the equipment was plug and play and works perfect. Next step was to replace the original Pioneer OEM door speakers with more powerful Nakamichi Lexus door speakers. Since '92 I'm sure that speakers have improved a great deal and I will check out the speakers you have recommended. Many thanks, Four Door.
four door

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic