icon

Amp turns on, and then off?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
DaLynQwenT 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2004 at 11:07 PM / IP Logged  
Hey, I was wondering if anyone could help me out with this.
I installed a Rockford 351M, and to my knowledge, everything looks kosher, but there's a problem, my amp turns on, but I'm getting no signal.. No sound!! So, me thinking it's my wiring, I hook my rinky dink amplifier up which has a protection light on it (wow rockford, good amp, no protection light for verification :P ) and the amplifier protection light came on.. So I then ripped apart the dash, removed the REM wire, and hooked it to the fuse box.. Nothing. The amps are getting power, because they both light up, and if they didn't have the remote wire hooked correctly, they wouldn't even turn on.. The ground is good... So I'm at a dead end road here, I have no clue...
Could anyone help me with this problem? Or give me some suggestions before I do the last resort and take her in to the local car audio shop..
I'm totally lost on this one, I've never ran into this problem before installing.
thapimpfromchi 
Silver - Posts: 616
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2004 at 3:38 AM / IP Logged  
yea... check your rca's. happened to me once. everything was wired properly, but i got no sound. i felt like an ass when i shipped my amp out for service, got it back, they said it was fine. I checked my rca, there it was. my rca crapped out for some reason. its worth a shot. Also, check the sub connections. lol, i had a wire come off my sub before too. sent the amp in for service on that one too. (i drive like a maniac, (I LOVE THE E-BRAKE) sorry) lol
1990 Honda Civic HB:
Clarion DXZ545MP H.U.
2- 6.5" Power Acoustik interiors
Diamond Audio 600.1 amp
Diamond Audio 15" M6MKII
Pyramid PB881X 4 CH. Amp
DaLynQwenT 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2004 at 9:35 AM / IP Logged  
Think it might be the RCA's eh? I don't know how they crapped out, they are brand new out the package lol, but I'll check those out today. Anybody else have a suggestion on what it might be? Also, do rockford amps have internal fuses?? I didn't see one outside of it.. What if it blows??
Back to the subject, if anyone else has suggestions, it'd be gladly appreciated.
jugga-nemo 
Copper - Posts: 81
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2004 at 10:23 AM / IP Logged  
Rockford amps don't have internal fuses.  You are supposed to place one on your power wire just before the amp.  As far as the size goes, check your owners manual for specs.
5.25" Components & 5x7 Coax Kappas w/Power Acoustik OV4-800
KAC 7252 powering 2 D3 8" Diamonds
KDC-MP728, KGC-4042A
DaLynQwenT 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2004 at 12:23 PM / IP Logged  
Place one in addition to the inline fuse or no?
DaLynQwenT 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2004 at 12:27 PM / IP Logged  
Place one in addition to the inline fuse or no?
kiteman 
Copper - Posts: 98
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2004 at 12:29 PM / IP Logged  
       You could also check to see if you have a signal coming out of the radio?
jugga-nemo 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2004 at 12:55 PM / IP Logged  

You should have one in-line fuse next to the battery to protect your car, and usually, amps will have a fuse on the outside of the amp, but with Rockfords, you should also place an in-line fuse next to the amp (since it doesn't have one).  That one is to protect the amp in case of a short.

KDC-MP728, KGC-4042A
DaLynQwenT 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2004 at 7:36 PM / IP Logged  
Oh.. I getcha. A friend of mine told me it might not be anything at all with the wiring, it might be that the REM is not getting 12 volts, and if it doesn't, it won't turn on.. Anyway to fix this? Charge? Or anything else?
jugga-nemo 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2004 at 9:22 AM / IP Logged  

I haven't heard of this being a problem.  But if you would like to test it, just run your REM from another power supply with like a 5amp in-line fuse on it.  That's how mine is done (just tapped into an accessory wire in the fused block for the car).  Or if you have a voltmeter, just test it with that.

KDC-MP728, KGC-4042A
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic