mtx 9500 vs jl w7

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
94bonny 
Copper - Posts: 108
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2004 at 9:56 AM / IP Logged  

http://www.mtxaudio.com/caraudio/headtohead/w7.cfm

i found this interesting stats sheat, obviously its weighted towards the MTX because they use the 10" models, and jls 10w7 only takes 500 watts compared to the mtx's 750, but if you were going for that punchy bass you get with a 10" woofer, is the mtx a better choice?

has anyonce actually heard both of these woofers in action? id like to hear some input from the forum :)

Alpine cda 9813
jl 500/1
eclipse aluminum 15"
94bonny 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2004 at 9:58 AM / IP Logged  
also im not asking just about the 10", id also like to hear about the mtx 15" vs the jl 13.5, thanks
Alpine cda 9813
jl 500/1
eclipse aluminum 15"
Maxst 
Silver - Posts: 866
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2004 at 11:02 AM / IP Logged  
or spend way less and get a brahma 10- $350, that can take up to 1600 watts rms, and sound equal, if not better than the W7.  If if were my choice, id go for a brahma. mtx 9500 vs jl w7 -- posted image.
I need quality equipment, feel free to donate.
Paradigm 
Silver - Posts: 284
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2004 at 2:08 PM / IP Logged  

If you notice, that "comparison" talks up the fact that it's an SPL sub. The W7 is not an SPL sub, although it does a rather nice job on that end, as well.

Since I've not actually heard both of these subs side by side, I would take that info with a grain of salt...

And Maxst, if you've read my previous responses to the Adire/JL Audio comparison, JL Audio outperforms the Adire. This is not conjecture or hear-say, there was a nice long article I read of a test that Adire did comparing their subs to JL's, and Adire "lost". Yes they cost less and yes Adire only failed to outperform the JL Audio sub by a small margin, but it still counts for something (I've never heard a Brahma, either, so I can't say how they sound compared to one another).

VEHICLE: 2002 GMC Sonoma ZR2
Alpine CDA-7940
AudioControl EQT x2
JL Audio 1000/1
JL Audio 10W6 (originals) x3
Kicker ZR120
Kicker ZR460
Polk GXR-6 x4
Polk GXR-4 x2
xtreamcc 
Silver - Posts: 467
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2004 at 3:07 PM / IP Logged  
Good point Paradigm. The L7 isn't built for pure SPL, its one of the best sounding SPL/SQ hybrids I've heard. MTX's 9500 seems to be pure SPL, which is fine, I'm a fan of SPL and SQ. But the thing about W7's that is hard to top is their ability to be loud and clear at the same time. MTX seems to have just taken sub size up a notch, where as JL takes the technology of the sub up a big notch. Me, I'd still take JL over MTX. Oh, and not to discredit Adire, I do like the Brahma's, I think a W7 at full blast in an Astro van would probably do alot more than just blow the door off mtx 9500 vs jl w7 -- posted image.
"Shiny chrome when used in conjunction with bikini models is particularly effective in inducing brain deficit disorder"
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Monster System on its way.
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2004 at 7:56 PM / IP Logged  
When I heard the 12 inch 9500 in a eclipse running off a mtx 801d it sounded amazing. It was very tight and hammered beyond all belief I was amazed. I heard the jl 13.5 in a 98 swift running off a JL1000/1 and it also sounded very good, although I dont know if it was better than the mtx but it sounded damn good. I do however know that the MTX was louder. Now of course they were in different cars and off different amps and in different boxes. Both boxes were sealed and a I dont know if they were built to spec or not. I have to assume the mtx is a better sub being that it was in the bigger car and off less power. Now with that being said the mtx was getting a little more than its recomended RMS rating and the JL was getting exactly what it was rated for so that could make a difference. Both cars had high volt decks with no optional outboard processing besides what was on the deck but we all know that the deck can make a difference in system as much as any other component so that also has to be taken into account. Like I said at the begining if it was me I would by the 9500, and in fact I am going to buy a 9500 but the JL is by no means a slouch either.
Teamrf 
Gold - Posts: 1,031
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2004 at 9:37 PM / IP Logged  
MTX over the JL
~The Rookie~
Rookie of the year that is...
Don't let the smoke out of your equiptment..it doesn't go back in.
Sobe_Death 
Copper - Posts: 78
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2004 at 1:07 AM / IP Logged  

well, i do know that i would probly go mtx over jl as well. i heard a 12" 9500 in the vented box it comes with at the local HH gregg and it sounded amazing. the w7 i listened to at HIFI buys sounded worse than the alpine type s that was right next to it. could be several factors that come into play but ill stick with my infinity!

94bonny 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2004 at 10:18 AM / IP Logged  

haha the w7 sounded worse than a alpine type s, what was goin on at that store??????????

oh and btw i kno about adire audio, but i was specifically asking about the mtx 9500 and the jl w7 thanks

Alpine cda 9813
jl 500/1
eclipse aluminum 15"
shoupe63 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2004 at 9:25 AM / IP Logged  
hey, about ur asking about the w7 compared to the 9500...i used to have 1 12" W7, and an 8" aswell in my 95 tahoe. it sounded great and hit real hard...but i decided i needed more and went and got 3 12" MTX 9500's powered by 2 mtx 1501D's..HOLY S**T does it pound..and not only is it louder but it sounds better than my W7.     so yes, my tahoe is proof that the MTX9500 is better in all ways than the W7
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic