mtx 9500 vs jl w7

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Paradigm 
Silver - Posts: 284
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2004 at 9:58 AM / IP Logged  

shoupe63 wrote:
hey, about ur asking about the w7 compared to the 9500...i used to have 1 12" W7, and an 8" aswell in my 95 tahoe. it sounded great and hit real hard...but i decided i needed more and went and got 3 12" MTX 9500's powered by 2 mtx 1501D's..HOLY S**T does it pound..and not only is it louder but it sounds better than my W7.     so yes, my tahoe is proof that the MTX9500 is better in all ways than the W7

1 12" W7 (and an 8" something) vs. 3 12" 9500's? I would hope like hell the 9500's were louder or I would seriously question the install!

This is not a true comparison between the 2 subs in question, so I would not say "the MTX9500 is better in all ways than the W7." That is very misleading...

VEHICLE: 2002 GMC Sonoma ZR2
Alpine CDA-7940
AudioControl EQT x2
JL Audio 1000/1
JL Audio 10W6 (originals) x3
Kicker ZR120
Kicker ZR460
Polk GXR-6 x4
Polk GXR-4 x2
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2004 at 1:27 PM / IP Logged  
Sobe_Death wrote:

well, i do know that i would probly go mtx over jl as well. i heard a 12" 9500 in the vented box it comes with at the local HH gregg and it sounded amazing. the w7 i listened to at HIFI buys sounded worse than the alpine type s that was right next to it. could be several factors that come into play but ill stick with my infinity!

How the hell can you compare a Alpine Type S sub to a JL W7. The only way the s could be louder then a W7 was if the W7 was running in free air or a 100 cf ported box. By the way, a W7 cant run in a pre-made box, unless you want your sub to fly out the back windsheild.

nerd 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2004 at 11:59 AM / IP Logged  
i own one 9500 in a sleghammer box.I have it in side a 93 mark 8(coupe)i have a sh*ty sony explode amp (1200) watts peak,so they say. Im soposed to be running a 4 guage line but it is only a 8 gauge. i'v got the frengunes level a t about 90 hz. From the subs iv heard and test i can say these subs are nice. there not has clean as the 2 jl10wo 125 watts rms)  ,but they were in a slead factory box with  a 250 watt old punch and they sounded much cleaner and smoother not louder.Now keep in mind all of these facts arnt that effficient becuase these subs was in diffrent cars deffrent head unit and diffrent box. The mtx 9500 slam pretty hard but the woofer dosent move fast enough to cath diffulcult bass note.for instant i was listine to lil Wyan track # 10(where you at) very hard bass line for any ported box to do.but again it might be that sh*ty sony amp. i plan on upgrading to a 1000/1 or500/1jl, the mtx thunder 801d or a power punch series mono block amp.any other good amp let me know.Iv got to say when people hear it they a are amazed a this 10in sub.I think i want to go with a more cleaner sound a be real loud thats hard to do.
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2004 at 1:18 PM / IP Logged  
I wouldnt even think twice about the fact that it is the amp that is causing the poor control on the sub. Also that thing  is seriously underpowered. The 9500, while being rated to handle less power, the test I have seen has shown the mtx to be capable of handling more power than the w7. If you check around there is a video showing the test where they used a w7, a l7, and a 9500. They used a 4000 watt crown amp and measured the voltage that the amp was producing to the sub and the JL crapped out at about 107 volts at 60 hertz which I think comes out to about a 1000 watts. The 9500 took the full 140 volts that the amp could manage and still didnt blow. BTW all these subs were running free air so dont start posting stories about the W7 you have that you are putting 1500 watts to because if the sub is in an enclosure it is of course going to handle more power. If anyone wants to know the L7 bit the big one when it reached 103 volts. This is not obviously a direct reflection of what these subs will do in a vehicle, but since every sub was tested under the exact same conditions I feel its about as good of comparison as any.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
fuseblower 
Silver - Posts: 403
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2004 at 1:33 PM / IP Logged  

The MTX9500 is a better sub according to specifications and design when the two are compared.  But that goes out the door once connected to the amplifier and pushed to it's limits.  But I would take the MTX over the JL.

Nerd, it's your amp that is causing your sub to seem as if it is out of control..

nerd 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2004 at 2:12 PM / IP Logged  

damn yall dont kill me. I defently a big fan of any hting that sounds good.

I know its the amp that sh*ty i even stated that.i was just given an nonaccurat opinion.plus i just resently tried to fine tune it with the same sony amp its got a litile more control,but i know it could sound 10n times better.I ts no dobt that iam keeping the sub.I just wating to decide what amp i want to use.open for sugestion. the 9500 is a 10in 2ohms 750 rms. to raven what do you mean the mtx are under rated. give more. 

Ravendarat 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2004 at 3:12 PM / IP Logged  
All I am saying is even though the mtx says it can handle 750 watts rms it can actually handle a lot more than that without any ill effects to the sub. MTX purposly built the subs so you could run two off a 1501D so if you put a 801D to it, that should make it hit really nicley. I have to also point out that while I do sell MTX I cannot get 9500's and infact I have to compete against them. I just know from installing them how good they actually are. I only wish I had access to these drivers because as far as I am concerened they are a pretty easy sell to anyone with the money for them.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 11, 2004 at 8:54 PM / IP Logged  

Paradigm wrote:

And Maxst, if you've read my previous responses to the Adire/JL Audio comparison, JL Audio outperforms the Adire. This is not conjecture or hear-say, there was a nice long article I read of a test that Adire did comparing their subs to JL's, and Adire "lost". Yes they cost less and yes Adire only failed to outperform the JL Audio sub by a small margin, but it still counts for something (I've never heard a Brahma, either, so I can't say how they sound compared to one another).

I know this was said a while ago.  But I do want to comment on it.  I wouldn't say the Brahma lost to the W7.  They both had things they did better.  The advantage the W7 had was it unloaded a little easier due to their massive excursion the spider provides.  But in that comparison by Richard Clark, you will see that the Brahma was a little more efficient, and had a flatter frequency response.  Here's the comparison of the two:  mtx 9500 vs jl w7 - Page 2 -- posted image.

Now don't get me wrong.  I think very highly of the W7.  But I think RC's comments in that thread you make a reference to were slightly biased as they didn't take these things into account.  The W7 is one of the best SQL subs on the market IMO.  But I also believe the Brahma is right up there with it.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 11, 2004 at 9:49 PM / IP Logged  

And now about the 9500 compared to the W7. 

The W7 is a technological marvel.  It's motor design is very ingenious, giving it less distortion than any other driver with a standard motor topology.  The 9500 is nothing special.  It is just another variation of an overhung motor, which has been done to death.  It might have slight parameter differences to an Eclipse sub, or EDA, ID Max, EVO-R, Magnum, etc. but that is the only difference.  But to list it as better than the W7, which isn't just a variation but an improvement IMO, is just wrong.  I can list quite a few reasons why the W7 is better, and they will make much more of an impact than the one's MTX lists.  And now to play with their claims:

Xmax
(one-way)
10W7 .90"9510 1.00"MTX has 10% greater linear excursion

Sure, in the 10.  But the 13W7 has a linear (DUMAX proven) Xmax of around 32mm.  The MTX's is claimed around 25.65mm.  Now add to it the cone area advantage of the W7.  I'm sure in all the sizes the W7 destroys the MTX sub in linear displacement. 

Smallest Usable
Enclosure Volume
(sealed/vented)
10W7 1 ft3/1.125 ft39510 0.625 ft3/0.75 ft3MTX requires 37% less enclosure volume

Well that's good.  But their smaller enclosure comes at a price.  They either had to give up efficiency or low frequency extention to gain that small box requirement.

Voice Coil Diameter10W7 2.75"9510 3.5"MTX voice coil is 27% larger

And that means higher inductance (which is bad) and higher mass (can be bad).

Surround Material10W7 Foam9510 NBR RubberMTX rubber surround handles vehicle's environmental extremes

Actually foam is supperior to rubber.  Rubber stiffens up over time, well before foam deteriorates.  Also foam doesn't "suck in" like rubber does.  To prevent this, you have to make the rubber surrounds thicker making them weigh more, and stiffer.  Directly off of MTX's website: "Whether it is an airplane wing, or speaker cones, a higher stiffness/weight ratio is always better."

The 9500 sub IMO is way overpriced, and does not come close to out-doing the W7. 

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

Ravendarat 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2004 at 11:16 PM / IP Logged  
This is not at all a slam at you Steven but have you actually used both subs before. I am only asking because I think that first off I think that Bang for the buck you wont find a better SPL sub on the market than the 9500. I wont say that the 9500 is a superior SQ sub because the general opinion is that it isnt. I personally like it better than the w7 but thats just me. The VD on the MTX sub is greater than the w7 and hence will move more air and when it comes to spl thats what it comes down to, what will move more air. I dont know where you are from but I live in Saskatchewan and With the temp extremities here I can say without giving it a second thought that the foam surrounds give way long before the Rubber surrounds do. I see the foam surrounds give out and crack in a 4 to 1 ratio over the ruber surrounds. This is about the most extreme place I can think of to test enviromental extremes without getting into nunavet and yukon. I mean we had temps down to -56 here this year and in  this week alone it went from +25 to -6. For god sakes it was +15 here yesterday and today we had a f**king blizzard that knocked out power in the lower east corner of the province. What a place to live. Anyways thats my argument to cover the enviroment side. Nothing replaces experience. The JL sub has a lot of patents and fancy words and accronyms to go with that sub but what it comes down to is another well done job by, what in my opinion is, the best marketing machine in car audio, JL. Like I said I am going at this from a spl angle but if you wanna go at it from a sq angle then I would put up a focal sub, Boston or Diamond Audio sub against the W7 any day of the week. Once again, just an opinion, which I thin every one is entitled to. I am never gonna tell someone their opinion is wrong, because it thiers and so it cant be anything but right. However I will always try to show a different way of interpreting the facts if I think their is another angle to look at them at.
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic