the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

mtx 9500 vs jl w7

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 12, 2004 at 12:04 AM / IP Logged  

Ravendarat wrote:
  I am only asking because I think that first off I think that Bang for the buck you wont find a better SPL sub on the market than the 9500.

If your goal is to get as loud as possible with one frequency, then you could possibly be right.  But if you want it to sound good as well (daily driver), then I think there are many better subs out there.  Also from an SPL standpoint, the W7 does have one advantage.  It doesn't suffer from BL compression like the 9500 does.  

Ravendarat wrote:
  The VD on the MTX sub is greater than the w7 and hence will move more air and when it comes to spl thats what it comes down to, what will move more air.

I am surprised to see that the MTX's Sd is so high.  I'm not sure if I personally trust their rating, but I will give them the benifit of the doubt for this discussion.  Having said that, I checked the Vd of both the largest drivers offered by the two companies, and they are both at 2.22 Liters.  So it looks like they both move the same amount of air.

Ravendarat wrote:
 I dont know where you are from but I live in Saskatchewan and With the temp extremities here I can say without giving it a second thought that the foam surrounds give way long before the Rubber surrounds do. I see the foam surrounds give out and crack in a 4 to 1 ratio over the ruber surrounds. This is about the most extreme place I can think of to test enviromental extremes without getting into nunavet and yukon. I mean we had temps down to -56 here this year and in  this week alone it went from +25 to -6. For god sakes it was +15 here yesterday and today we had a f**king blizzard that knocked out power in the lower east corner of the province. What a place to live. Anyways thats my argument to cover the enviroment side. Nothing replaces experience.

Yes, but rubber stiffens up way before it starts to fall apart.  This greatly effects the drivers performance, and therefore doesn't last as long as rubber.  For a subwoofer, foam is much more superior than rubber.

Ravendarat wrote:
The JL sub has a lot of patents and fancy words and accronyms to go with that sub but what it comes down to is another well done job by, what in my opinion is, the best marketing machine in car audio, JL. 

I agree that they have done a great job marketing their driver.  But it does not mean that some of those patents don't make a difference.  Becides our XBL^2 motor, no other company has a motor as linear as the W7's.  And any sub, including the 9500 would greatly benifit from it. 

But now let's look at it from another perspective.  Which sub is trying to make themselves look good by marketing?  The W7 has done a lot of marketing, but has gotten their reputation as being one of the best by having a solid product.  Now MTX comes along and directly compares it'self to the "king of the hill", and does it with a great deal of marketing talk, twisting of facts, and half truths.  If you want to chastize a company for poor marketing tactics, you picked the wrong one IMO.

Ravendarat wrote:
  Like I said I am going at this from a spl angle but if you wanna go at it from a sq angle then I would put up a focal sub, Boston or Diamond Audio sub against the W7 any day of the week.

I disagree.  The W7 will have less distortion at any output level than any of the subs you mention above.  This is because of it's flat BL curve.  And that is objective fact, not an opinion. mtx 9500 vs jl w7 - Page 3 -- posted image.

Ravendarat wrote:
 Once again, just an opinion, which I thin every one is entitled to. I am never gonna tell someone their opinion is wrong, because it thiers and so it cant be anything but right. However I will always try to show a different way of interpreting the facts if I think their is another angle to look at them at.

I agree.  That is why I bring facts to the table, which are not subjective.  You can't argue with them, and there isn't another angle.

I guess MTX's tactics have left a bad taste in my mouth.  I'm sure it is a good sub.  But they make some pretty incredible claims, and when looking at the facts their claims just don't hold up.  I know I get a little annoyed at their tactics, so if I come off as harsh in my comments, please don't take them personally.  My annoyance is with MTX, not you.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 12, 2004 at 8:09 AM / IP Logged  
As I said before, everyone is entitled to thier own opinion and I wont take that away from you. I wasnt saying that JL uses false or misleading marketing tactics. I think they are amazing at marketing their subs, they have been doing an amazing job for a long time. When I talked about using those other drivers I am speaking from personal preference and was saying those sound better to me, and that cannot be questioned. You can disagree but my ears dont lie to my brain so if they sound better to me than thats where the buck stops. To others the w7 may sound better. I also have to go off of customers experience and I have had two where I replaced the w7 driver with the 9500 driver and both times the customers were very happy with the IMPROVEMENT in thier stereo. Thats exactly why I say car audio is something not to be bought over the internet, because all the numbers in the world go out the window when you start doing real world comparisions.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
nerd 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: May 12, 2004 at 8:40 AM / IP Logged  

every one hase very good reason why one product is better than another in varius ways.the botom line is  everybody is judging the prouduct towards what  is going to benefit there inital use for it.I would suggest any body whos trying to decide what they want to spend there money on the jl,mtx ,ex. Should listen to them in your car first before you get missleaded by all the hipe.No matter who likes it and don't its eralvent . If it sound right to you its right.

there is know best every thing lacks something the other dont have.

Paradigm 
Silver - Posts: 284
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 12, 2004 at 9:11 AM / IP Logged  
Steven Kephart wrote:

Paradigm wrote:

And Maxst, if you've read my previous responses to the Adire/JL Audio comparison, JL Audio outperforms the Adire. This is not conjecture or hear-say, there was a nice long article I read of a test that Adire did comparing their subs to JL's, and Adire "lost". Yes they cost less and yes Adire only failed to outperform the JL Audio sub by a small margin, but it still counts for something (I've never heard a Brahma, either, so I can't say how they sound compared to one another).

I know this was said a while ago.  But I do want to comment on it.  I wouldn't say the Brahma lost to the W7.  They both had things they did better.  The advantage the W7 had was it unloaded a little easier due to their massive excursion the spider provides.  But in that comparison by Richard Clark, you will see that the Brahma was a little more efficient, and had a flatter frequency response.  Here's the comparison of the two:  mtx 9500 vs jl w7 - Page 3 -- posted image.

Now don't get me wrong.  I think very highly of the W7.  But I think RC's comments in that thread you make a reference to were slightly biased as they didn't take these things into account.  The W7 is one of the best SQL subs on the market IMO.  But I also believe the Brahma is right up there with it.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

Hi Steven! Glad you remember that article. For the life of me I couldn't remember where I saw that or what it said exactly, I just remember that the W7 did do some things better than the Brahma and vice versa. It was not my intention to knock Adire or their products, I was just posting what I could recall from that article (which wasn't very much lol!). Thanks for the clarification. mtx 9500 vs jl w7 - Page 3 -- posted image.

VEHICLE: 2002 GMC Sonoma ZR2
Alpine CDA-7940
AudioControl EQT x2
JL Audio 1000/1
JL Audio 10W6 (originals) x3
Kicker ZR120
Kicker ZR460
Polk GXR-6 x4
Polk GXR-4 x2
Steven Kephart 
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 12, 2004 at 11:17 AM / IP Logged  

You guys are right that everyone has their own preference.  In fact all you have to do is tell some people that one is better, and they will blindly agree.  But you are talking about subjectivity, not SQ.  Sound Quality is the quality of the sound before it enters our ears.  And that is objective.  It doesn't deal with psychoacoustics, personal bias, hearing loss, and poorly installed equipment.  Some people prefer distortion in their music because they are used to it.  They hear a "clean" sub like the W7 or Brahma, and think it sounds thin, or flat.  And that is fine; to each their own.  But what MTX is doing is trying to objectively prove their sub is better, and when the facts are truely looked upon their conclusions are definitely flawed.  After all, isn't this the point of this thread? mtx 9500 vs jl w7 - Page 3 -- posted image.

BTW, when looking at the 9500, I still think you can do better for less.  I would much rather have an ID MAX, which uses the same standard overhung motor (so similar distortion products), but with just as much Xmax and and possibly Xmech.  Oh, and it's cheaper. 

I talked to one of our local dealers who sells both our Brahma (flat BL curve as well), and the 9500.  He is a very respected guy on the forums due to his knowledge and experience.  I asked him a while ago what he thought of the 9500.  He said it was loud, but didn't sound very good.  And he said that his customers agree.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

Steven Kephart 
Posted: May 12, 2004 at 11:27 AM / IP Logged  

Paradigm wrote:

Hi Steven! Glad you remember that article. For the life of me I couldn't remember where I saw that or what it said exactly, I just remember that the W7 did do some things better than the Brahma and vice versa. It was not my intention to knock Adire or their products, I was just posting what I could recall from that article (which wasn't very much lol!). Thanks for the clarification. mtx 9500 vs jl w7 - Page 3 -- posted image.

Yeah, I was part of that conversation.  It was on the Car Sound forum.  Here's the link to the thread: http://www.carsound.com/cgi-bin/UBB_CGI/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=019193;p=1  Wow, that was a year and a half ago.  Once we get our Arachnid spider on the Brahma, several of the points where the Brahma fell behind (mainly in the suspension) are going to catch up I believe.

BTW, I could tell where you were coming from.  You are correct in that Mr. Clark's conclusions were that the W7 was a better driver.  But I think he was ignoring a couple things, which is why I made my comments above.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

djMINIoompa 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 12, 2004 at 7:44 PM / IP Logged  
This is just my 2 cents. For the money, the MTX offers more. The JL i feel are better subs, but is it worth the more watts, making you get a bigger amp, and spending more on the subs themselves? No its not. I am a big fan of JL, but the MTX is a better choice adn you get more for the money. Then again, you will have to make the last finial choice. Anyone can suggest whatever and talk up the worst sub and make it seem good. You have to get out there and be the judge yourself. Let us know your finial verdict, i hope MTX is guilty as charged as being a better buy and getting more for your money. If money isnt a problem, then by all means get the W7.
nerd 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2004 at 8:32 AM / IP Logged  
so another  words the jl sub is better hands down is what your saying Dj?
djMINIoompa 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2004 at 4:22 PM / IP Logged  
In my opinion, no, not hands down. I am saying that if i were buying, i would buy the MTX becaseu the JL is over priced. the sub itself it better, i just dont like the heavy price tag that goes along with it.
Steven Kephart 
Posted: May 13, 2004 at 9:34 PM / IP Logged  

Well as was mentioned above, our Brahma is very similar in performance to the W7.  Plus it is lower in price than the MTX subs as well.  And if you are wondering about it's SPL, Scottie Johnson runs Brahma's and holds 4 world records with them.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic