the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Subs Not Kicking?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2004 at 3:49 PM / IP Logged  
Disconnect the subs from the amp. Take a handle little 9v battery and briefly touch it to the speaker leads, if the subs go thump and move, the subs should be OK, leading to an amp problem. I'm assuming you don't have a meter, thus the 9v battery. The amp is still on, correct? Run a new rca cable from the cd player to the amp, in case the original rca cable is grounding out. Plug subs back into the amp (provided the passed the test above). If you still have no sound, then you have smelly amplifier disease. It is best treated with 2 weeks of really hard work to buy a new amplifier that does not say, what was that name again? I thought I was the 99999 person, man I'm so jealous. If the subs no worky, then you have smelly subwoofer disease, take 2-4 weeks of good hard work, time to research and level set the gain properly, do not use bass control on the cd player or a bass boost circuit on the amp. In 2 - 4 weeks your system should be healthy again with new subs.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Jay T 
Copper - Posts: 169
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2004 at 6:22 PM / IP Logged  

Some times people overlook simple things too.

If it was working but now there is no sound at all, its probly a input connection on the amp or sub.

If it is working but really quiet, Try cleaning the battery post terminal and the connector on the post.  I have to do it about once a month through the winter months other wise I experience a loss of power / volume drop in subs

100,000watts 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2004 at 7:43 PM / IP Logged  

I think it could be a wire touching another. Or you got one postive or negative hook up to the wrong terminal, switch'em, it should work if thats whats wrong. Make sure you check inside the box.

Hope it works.

88 caddy
One 15 inch Eclipse sub.
rattles my trunk and the car next to me!
flatulatta 
Silver - Posts: 356
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2004 at 7:49 PM / IP Logged  
well i dont think he has em hooked up wrong b/c he clearly stated that they just stoped working.. possibly the wires touching somewhere making a big loop happend 2 me but the amp went into protection b4 any damage... make sure that none of ur wires are stripped more than they need to be....if they are tape one or both wit some electrical tape to cover the uncovered ends..
stro720 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2004 at 8:52 PM / IP Logged  
wow so many answers!  my guess is the voice coils are toast. get a multimeter and check to see that they are still reading 4 ohms. (or what ever resistance they are or set up to be) if they are not, hope you got a service plan. remember, damaged subs can change impedence which could possibly damage your amp.
what do you think would happen if you hooked that wire to that wire :D
BangBang 
Silver - Posts: 287
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2004 at 12:30 AM / IP Logged  

OK found out the problem. THe HOt wire was loose. so it would go on and off.

Acutally about  5 inches before the hot wire is connected to the amp... THERE is this cut... where i put black tape aroudn it..

becuz i cut it.. then put it back together.. it was loose ... so now i'm gonna cut it off. then put a new gold terminal.!

fo sho fo sho.! fo sho!

Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic