icon

Audiobahn AWT15X Problem

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
97neon 
Copper - Posts: 195
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2004 at 11:37 PM / IP Logged  

i bought an awt15x from my dealer, it's an audiobahn, i hooked it up today to a memphis 1000d.  it was really loud for the whole day, and just out of no where, the thing blew, it made a weird noise as it was blowing, lol, so i opened the trunk, there was no msoke, turned itback on, and the sub wouldn;t even move, the cone was stiff as hell, you couldn;t even push it in, i have never seen this before, you could see and here the voice coil inside moving through the big hole on the bottom of the sub, i don;t understand how the sub blew 1000 watts rms, it says 3000 rms, i know it won't do 3000 rms, but, it should do at least 2000, defect or just crap?

xtreamcc 
Silver - Posts: 467
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2004 at 11:42 PM / IP Logged  
Ok, first off the sub was brand new, right? And you just hooked it up and blasted away? If so you probably overloaded and/or overheated the voice coils and melted them to the magnet. You need to warm subs up or they'll get damaged without signifigant play. Some people say Audiobahn is crap, but personally I find them a good high quality product so I wouldn't say its crap. If you properly warmed the sub up and it blew there was probably just a factory defect. Get a replacement from your dealer and try again lol, thats what I'd do! Audiobahn AWT15X Problem -- posted image.
"Shiny chrome when used in conjunction with bikini models is particularly effective in inducing brain deficit disorder"
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Monster System on its way.
97neon 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2004 at 11:52 PM / IP Logged  
well, finally somebody who finds audiobahn a good company, i think peplel just hate it cause it has horrible SQ, i only care about spl, but still, wouldn;t only sending 1000 watts rms be good for warming it up, also, the specs say not recommened for sealed enclosures, i have it 5 cubic feet sealed right now till i get the ports in there, you tink that would have anything to do with it?>
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2004 at 12:38 AM / IP Logged  

OK since you only care about SPL I am assuming that the amp gains were right pinned so my question is, was the amp clipping. This is where you answer " No Raven you idiot, it wasn't clipping". Then I say are you sure and you go "I am pretty sure it wasnt". Then I say I bet it was and you start thinking to yourself "Mabye it was clipping and I didnt relize it because I was so pumped about getting this massive spl sub that I just pounded the sh*t out of it" Then I say "I have done the same thing, infact most people do this and it is very easy to damage a sub when the amp is clipping" This is were you go "Mabye your right, when I get my new one tomorrow I will have to check it out, I will also have to allow proper break in time before I once again unleash the beast in my trunk". I am glad we could have this conversation.

PS Its like 1 am and I am on a large amount of pain killers for my back so I am not writing this trying to be c**ky or anything, I am just really bored so I am ammusing myself, being I cant lay down to go to sleep and all.

94bonny 
Copper - Posts: 108
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2004 at 9:47 AM / IP Logged  
i find audiobahn products to be good, i agree they get slammed on for sq, but when your looking for spl hey go no farther audiobahn is your answer
Alpine cda 9813
jl 500/1
eclipse aluminum 15"
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2004 at 10:25 AM / IP Logged  

As usual, Raven, even in his reportedly drugged condition, is right on!  :)  Your amp fried your woofer's voice coil and probably because it was clipping like mad.  Memphis makes fantastic equipment and that amp will pump a conservative 1000 watts into 2 ohms, and in clipping mode can probably push an equivalent of 2500 watts before the fuse blows.  Those linear compression subs are, as you say, for pure SPL and are good at what they do.  But I believe the listed 3000 watts RMS rating is BS.  1000 watts is more like it in reality.  I also believe their power handling is limited by the design as they don't move as much air through the VC as standard cones do and therefor tend to heat up a lot more.

Bottom line, if your Memphis amp was clipping more than 10%, it fried your VC and I am not at all surprised.

xtreamcc 
Silver - Posts: 467
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2004 at 11:20 AM / IP Logged  
97neon wrote:
i have it 5 cubic feet sealed right now till i get the ports in there, you tink that would have anything to do with it?>
Like Raven said the amp was probably clipping, I imagin that 1000 watts would be alright for warming up a 3000 watt sub, but still, like they said it magnifies power and thus heat burning the crap out of the VC's. As for the enclosure, I'd think that having that much air behind it would just cause a loss of SQ.... course we dont care about SQ now do we Audiobahn AWT15X Problem -- posted image. haha, I might be wrong with that though as I usually only deal with subs that require 1-2 CuFt, not 5 lol.
"Shiny chrome when used in conjunction with bikini models is particularly effective in inducing brain deficit disorder"
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Monster System on its way.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2004 at 12:44 PM / IP Logged  

OH!!!  I totally missed the "5 cuft sealed" comment.  Yea, that's why it blew.  This woofer is designed for a MAX 2 cuft sealed enclosure, and a MAX 4.5 cuft Vented enclosure.  Putting it into a 5 cuft sealed enclosure is pretty much the same thing as running it with NO enclosure.  The cone will not be excursion limited, and I would guess the power handling would be reduced to around, oh, maybe 250 watts MAX.  I'm surprised it lasted more than an hour with 1000 watts, even if your amp is set up perfectly and clipping was never an issue.

Your box did it.  Or rather, YOU did it by using the absolute worst case type of box for this woofer.

Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2004 at 1:07 PM / IP Logged  
Ya, 5 cubic feet is a little large:) That could definatly mess up you driver. I dont know if the power handelling would be reduced from 3000 watts to 250 watts but it will definatly be reduced an could very well have caused the damage.
97neon 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2004 at 1:17 PM / IP Logged  
5 cubic is ther ecommened size guys, not 4.5, you can make it 4.5, but you can also do it 5, go to the site and look, it says 5 cubic feet, get this, i brought it in today, they woon;t replace cause they said i blew because i used 4 gauage wiring, instead of 2 gauge, so it;s my fault, so basically gave them money for nothing, is that possbile?
Page of 7

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic