icon

Audiobahn AWT15X Problem

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
97neon 
Copper - Posts: 195
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2004 at 1:18 PM / IP Logged  
no, the map wasn;t clipping, im not that dumb, i had the amp gain at half, i sub controls at 0, they go to 6 on the deck, so i was punding it to full potential, so it wasn;t clipping,
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2004 at 1:23 PM / IP Logged  

You blew it because of wire gage?  No, that is complete bull sh*t.  Whoever told you that does not know what they are talking about.  Demand that they explain that one to you, and if they start talking about high resistance wire or "limiting amps" or some such crap, tell them they lie like dogs.

The Audiobahn technical specs for that driver say 4.5 cuft MAX for a ported enclosure and 2 cuft MAX for sealed, and they recomend 1.6 to 3.0 vented.  Here's the info:  http://www.audiobahninc.com/tech/2004/boxParams/AWT_box_specs.pdf

97neon 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2004 at 1:33 PM / IP Logged  

the total volume says 5 cubic feet at the bottom, my local etailer told me that, and they called audiobahn, and audiobahn suppively said the same

97neon 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2004 at 1:34 PM / IP Logged  
the store doesn;t know how big my box is, they think it;s ported 5 cubic feet, they said there wasn;t enough current going through the wire to the amp, so the sub blew
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2004 at 1:38 PM / IP Logged  
A sub does not blow all on it's own, something causes it to blow, my bet is that the signal was in fact clipping and coupled with the box design (man that's a big box a big box) ultimately did the sub in. Speaker wire being the cause, don't think so.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
97neon 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2004 at 1:41 PM / IP Logged  
k, thanks, but there saying the wire is the problem, so it should  be under warrenty then, the amp was not clipping, the gain was at half, no possible way
97neon 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2004 at 1:42 PM / IP Logged  
so should i bring it back an argue this problem with them, should i get my warrenty on it, what do you tiik forbidden?
forbidden 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2004 at 2:09 PM / IP Logged  

The one thing that you have not considered as far as the clipping is also the cd player, if the preout on the cd player is clipped (and most do) then the amp will reproduce that clipped signal and pass it on to the amp, this is why I pronounced the amp as clipping. I would try the warranty avenue first, see how you make out.

Did I read the first post right, that the cone would not move and the voice coils still were. This means cone separation and a possible flaw in the construction of the speaker, a DEFINITE design flaw and totally within warranty. Best of luck with it.

97neon 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2004 at 2:11 PM / IP Logged  
the cone would not move after it blew, and you know the hole on the bottom of every sub, im not sure what you call it sorry, but you could see copper colored wire in there, it was flapping whe i turned the sub on after it blew, thats the voice coil right?
forbidden 
Posted: March 26, 2004 at 2:20 PM / IP Logged  
That is correct and if was still moving, then it is not a voice coil problem, it is a cone separation problem that may have been caused by heat melting the cone to voice coil former adhesive, it may have just been a weak join, it could have been faulty from day one, but if the speakers voice coil former and voice coils are still moving when power is applied, they are probly damaged but still operational. Have you metered the sub yet to see if they show impedence?
Page of 7

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic