icon

Sealed/Ported Switchable

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
specialblendj 
Copper - Posts: 118
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 29, 2004 at 11:38 AM / IP Logged  

I've built a box for a sub which has an internal volume of 1.4 ft^3.  The sub is a Diamond TDX 12D4.  This volume is within the size constraints diamonds sealed and ported recommendations.  It is currently sealed, If I were to port it, does anyone know of a good way to seal the port if I wanted, without using any permanent caulk or glue?  Has anyone had any positive or negative experiences with doing this.  I'll probably just build two boxes,  but I was just wondering if this could work. 

Also, diamond recommends 4 " diameter round ports.  Could I do rectangular ports, of a different length, as long as the port diplaces the same amount of airspace?

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 29, 2004 at 1:18 PM / IP Logged  

Well, I suppose it could be done.  Use rubber plugs with a very tight fit and seal them with RTV to seal you ports.  Then you could peel off the RTV and pull out the plugs if you wanted the extra SPL of the ports.

You'd be better off building a different enclosure...

There have been many posts in these forums about converting round ports to slot geometry.  Do a search.

Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 29, 2004 at 6:44 PM / IP Logged  
Does it have to look good?
Disaster092 
Copper - Posts: 54
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 29, 2004 at 8:52 PM / IP Logged  
The slot geometry isn't all that hard. Go to http://www.carstereo.com/help2/Articles.cfm?id=31 thats a slot port calculator. It works kinda like the one that is on this site. It's not a hard thing to figure out, you just have to think a little bit more when doing the slot ports. I plan to router all the edges of my slots in efforts to reduce, or kill that annoying whistling, and the common port noises.
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 29, 2004 at 9:17 PM / IP Logged  
I belive there is a port company out there that sells sealable ports, they come with a very fany cap held on by screws.   Heck, ,it would be easy to make a cover.
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
superstreet786 
Silver - Posts: 339
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2004 at 8:04 PM / IP Logged  
im not so sure if you sealed off a ported box youd still have the correct volume but thats just my opinion
---- 1996 Chevy S10 ----
1 Lightning Audio S2.600.2 Amp
2 Lightning Audio 12" Subs
1 Lightning Audio 1 Farad Cap
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2004 at 8:47 PM / IP Logged  
I was dead serious as to weather it had to look good. I came up with this Idea about a year ago and am preasantly  working on making a box for my 4 12's based on it. You make the box  with the intent of using sloted ports. You cut the hole for the port and put in metal threads so that you can used bolts repeatedly to tighten and loosen without stripping the holes as you would if you just tried to use the wood. So you make your ports with an oversized flange so you can bolt them in to the holes you cut earlier. You now have a ported box. Now to address the question of interior volume being different. Superstreet was bang on in saying that generally sealed enclosures are smaller. So instead of making just covers that can be bolted on the ports you actually remove the ports by undoing the bolts and replace them with a new plate that bolts to the existing holes in the box. On the back of the plate you attach a large box that goes through the hole where the ports were. These boxes would decrease the interior volume of the box. I tried it with a single 12" box and it worked really well. I had to make the boxes atttached to the plate in the shape of an L because to take up enough interior volume I need more space than what could be obtained by just a stait box but besides that it worked awsome. Now I am jsut trying to incorporate the same Idea into my wall so I dont have to drive around with a wall that sounds like sh*t all the time, because as we all know that a wall built for spl is tuned so damn high that they sound awful. I hope this helps you some
superstreet786 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2004 at 5:53 PM / IP Logged  
ya know what?  that sounded very logical hahaha
---- 1996 Chevy S10 ----
Sobe_Death 
Copper - Posts: 78
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2004 at 6:23 PM / IP Logged  
wow i would have never ever thought of that!!!  seems like it would work ok!
superstreet786 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2004 at 10:36 PM / IP Logged  
yea it really would
---- 1996 Chevy S10 ----

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic