icon

What would you do?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
charlie101_1999 
Member - Posts: 40
Member spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2004 at 9:10 PM / IP Logged  
I hate to sound like I have no creativity but I guess I'm just looking for the best my money can buy. I'm afraid of jumping the gun and getting a bunch of things that I'd end up regretting.
I plan on wiring everything myself but I don't feel comfortable building a box. I'd like to but I don't know much about determining air space and freqs. One of the local shops said they'd build one for me for about $250(MDF and vinyl).
Thanks for the input.
superstreet786 
Silver - Posts: 339
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2004 at 9:11 PM / IP Logged  
MB Quart has great SQ but for subs go with the Kicker L7's
---- 1996 Chevy S10 ----
1 Lightning Audio S2.600.2 Amp
2 Lightning Audio 12" Subs
1 Lightning Audio 1 Farad Cap
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 30, 2004 at 9:19 PM / IP Logged  

There's a ton of good info at your fingertips for doing this stuff.  Go to this  http://www.bcae1.com/    scroll down the right menu to #116.  Use the calculator you find there.   When you decide on a sub, just enter the specs into the calculator and the box volume will be given.  You can draw it up to fit best in the vehicle, and either search online for a pre-built box or get someone with some basic tools to help you with it.  Think far less than $250!

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2004 at 11:00 PM / IP Logged  

Charlie,  The Avionixx amp you reference is an OK unit.  Not the best, typical off-shore construction, in the same league with Kicker or MTX.  I don't recognize the sub you reference.

Also, $250 for a standard enclosure is highway robbery.  On the other hand, $250 for a custom enclosure designed for your car and for specific equipment can be cheap.  It depends on what you're getting for the bucks...

charlie101_1999 
Member - Posts: 40
Member spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2004 at 7:36 AM / IP Logged  
The box would be vehicle specific. When he qouted me it was going to be for an L7. I imagine it's going to be about the same for any sub. The sub was a Elemental Designs 10.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2004 at 8:29 AM / IP Logged  
Ah yes, ED.  I cannot recomend them due to some severe quality problems in some of their subs.  Their 12 and 15 inch drivers have a reputation for early cone failure.  They look cool and when they work, they are great SPL producers, just not for very long.  If you prefer quality over looks in the same sort of price range, look at Adire or Infinity Kappa.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic