Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bfeeny 
Member - Posts: 48
Member spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2004 at 9:20 AM / IP Logged  
I just read on crutchfields site:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-csoasptNwJL/cgi-bin/prodview.asp?i=500CDA9835
"Important Note: The powerful output of Alpine's V-Drive internal amplifier requires a direct fused connection to your vehicle's battery! We recommend that you purchase a 10-gauge amp wiring kit."
Is that true? You can't just connect the 9815 like other decks via the Metra harness, you have to run 10awg power to the battery?
94bonny 
Copper - Posts: 108
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2004 at 9:33 AM / IP Logged  

i have a 9813 and i needed to connect a 10awg wire to the battery due to the internal amp draw, im sure with the 9815 you probably would need to do the same.

when i first installed my headunit i could only turn my volume up to level 8 without the headunit dimming and 10 it would clip out, so it is smart to wire 10awg to the battery

Alpine cda 9813
jl 500/1
eclipse aluminum 15"
bfeeny 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2004 at 9:55 AM / IP Logged  
I just don't want to tap 10awg from the battery for the HU, and then tap 4awg for the amp. Is there an in-line distribution block that will take like 4awg, T-off 10awg, and then let the rest of the 4awg pass thru? something like:
4awg
|
|
|    10awg
-------
|
|
|
4awg
You know, I am just trying to keep it all clean. That V-Drive amp in the 98xx's must have some real juice.
bfeeny 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2004 at 12:13 PM / IP Logged  
94bonny,
When you powered it with 10awg, did you ground the HU with 10awg as well? Or just let it ground via the metra harness?
superstreet786 
Silver - Posts: 339
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2004 at 5:45 PM / IP Logged  
wow thats the first deck ive ever heard that about
---- 1996 Chevy S10 ----
1 Lightning Audio S2.600.2 Amp
2 Lightning Audio 12" Subs
1 Lightning Audio 1 Farad Cap
Sweekster 
Silver - Posts: 481
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2004 at 6:35 PM / IP Logged  
It's been around for a while now. You have to run the 10awg wire for both constant and ground. I put one of those head unit's in my buddy's honda a while back. He had a dual post battery (side posts and top posts) and I ran the head unit power wire from the positive side post and the amp (4awg) from the top positive post. I grounded them both using the negative cable from the battery.
Duane...
If you think you're confused, imagine how you feel.   Alpine CDA-9815 requires 10awg power? -- posted image.
bfeeny 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2004 at 6:36 PM / IP Logged  
I am surprised more decks wouldnt benefit from it. I mean think about it, people run 8awg-10awg minimum for amp's, no matter what they put out, and your factory harness is what? 18awg, 14awg at best?
The Alpine is either one of the most powerful built in amps in a HU (not talking SQ, just power) or the most overrated. its boasting like 27W x 4 RMS (and I think thats at 14.4V :))) )......anyways, if the one person said it clips after turning it up, thats enough for me to do it........but if you run 10awg power then I am thinking you gotta run 10awg ground.........so much for a plug an play install :)
bfeeny 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2004 at 7:23 PM / IP Logged  
Is running ground from the battery really a good idea? I mean, don't you want ground to be a relatively short path, say to the chassis?
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2004 at 7:39 PM / IP Logged  
Ya you want a short ground, under 3 feet usually. So try to find a good piece of metal to go to.
bfeeny 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2004 at 8:46 PM / IP Logged  
Sweekster,
I havent actually seen the back of a 9815 yet (mine is being shipped), but isn't the ground lead coming out of HU's typically in the 14-16awg range? How do you manage to ground it with 10awg, when its not 10awg coming out of the HU? I mean wouldnt crimping 10awg wire to say 16awg coming out of the HU defeat any benefit to the 10awg in the first place since higher resistance will be met when the awg changes anyways?
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic