the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Alpine CDA-9815 requires 10awg power?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2004 at 9:48 PM / IP Logged  
I always use 12 guage to the 12 guage wires in the steering column then fuse it.  Leave the switched 12v alone, and run a 12 guage ground.     Shure the 16 guage on the deck is a bit wimpy, but its only 6", , where it matters the most is the wireing inside the car.  Usually it is 18 guage and runs for miles before it gets to the fuse terminal.  Lots of resiatance is added up in this case, which results in great power loss.
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
Sweekster 
Silver - Posts: 481
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2004 at 12:54 AM / IP Logged  

BFeeny,

You're right about the resistance thing.  I thought about that after I did it.  But at the time I did that to match the power cable requirement (thinking in terms of an amp).  And it has been said that you should only have 3 feet of length in the ground cable.  But this car already 3 ground points (2 from the battery and one from the Alternator) so I grounded them both at the primary ground point (the shortest of the 2 battery ground cables) to reduce the possibility of a ground loop and alternator whine (which the system is absolutley clear).  I got the "Ground at the battery" thing from a friend of mine who was building a system in an Iroc z camaro for a sound competition.  And it worked out well in both cases.

Duane...
If you think you're confused, imagine how you feel.   Alpine CDA-9815 requires 10awg power? - Page 2 -- posted image.
bfeeny 
Member - Posts: 48
Member spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2004 at 10:04 AM / IP Logged  
I could use some advise.
I *am* going to run the 10awg to the 9815, as well as 10awg ground.
How should I "connect" the 14-16awg power ground wires coming out of the radio, with the 10awg power / ground wires I plan to hook up? I don't like the idea of just soldering and heatshrinking them together because then I can't just pull the radio if I need to. And I am not sure if quick disconnects exist for mis-matched wires sizes (such as connecting 10-12awg to 14-16awg). Does anyone have any ideas?
Damn, I wish they just used spade terminal screw type connections on the back of the HU's for power and ground.........
Brian
94bonny 
Copper - Posts: 108
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2004 at 10:10 AM / IP Logged  
yes i did ground my 9813 with a 10 awg ground lead, i bypassed the harness on that
Alpine cda 9813
jl 500/1
eclipse aluminum 15"
Sweekster 
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2004 at 10:55 AM / IP Logged  
What I did was solder and heat shrink them. It is much better than quick disconnects and crimp connectors. Takes more time but also lasts longer. The only wire from the radio connected to the harness in that car is the switched 12 volt wire-everyhting else is hardwired. He's using two alpine v12 amps in there as well. A four channel to run his speakers and a 2 channel to run his subs (all alpine). And he's running alpine tweeters off the head's internal amp. The sound is a bit strange in that car. He's got alpine 5.25 2 ways in the doors and alpine 6x9 3 ways in the rear deck. Then he asked me to add tweeters up high in all four corners!!!! So it's not balanced at all. But he paid me to do it-so i did it. And he was really happy about it and still is to this day. Hey, whatever works.
Duane...
If you think you're confused, imagine how you feel.   Alpine CDA-9815 requires 10awg power? - Page 2 -- posted image.
bfeeny 
Member - Posts: 48
Member spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2004 at 3:16 PM / IP Logged  
O man, i just canceled my 9815 order.
You all don't know the hell i have been thru, TRYING to give my money to people for a deck. First I wanted the 9815, and everyone was sold out, then I saw online the Eclipse 8454 and was in love. Of course no one can get that until Mid-april, and then it will be like retail $599.00.
I found a place with a 9815, and they charged my card and didnt ship it. The next day (today) I was so peeved, I canceled my order with them, I am sick of the customer dis-service.
So I start looking at the Eclipse 8443, everything the 8454 is, but doesnt have WMA/MP3/Auto-EQ with the Flash Card thing.
I find one for $399 in a town about 300mi from here. I call my local dealer, and he says he will match it, even do better, $379! But then he tells me only the display model is left. Now, I have SEEN people mess with the display models, and they aren't too friendly with the delicate servo motors in the faces, so.......NO THANKS!
Long story short, I ordered the 8443, it will be here in the morning!
So, now I have a damn 10awg amp kit i bought (to install the 9815 with).
Does the 8443 need that? Or can I just go with the Metra power/ground and press on? I mean no doubt it coudln't HURT anything to use the 10awg kit, but I am trying to not go out of my way here unless I have too, I guess I could always put it in later. But the Eclipse amp is just 13x4 RMS (50x4 peak), so even tho its a really good quality amp I dont think its as taxing as the 9815........but i dont know, you tell me?
Sweekster 
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2004 at 4:12 PM / IP Logged  
No that one doesn't need that. You can do standard metra hook up. You would probably be much happier with the eclipse. Don't let the 13 watts rms fool you it'll probably be the cleanest sound you'll ever hear, short of hearing a McIntosh or a Nakamichi. It won't be taxing at all.
Duane...
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2004 at 6:09 PM / IP Logged  
Why not get a cda-9835??  they came out today!
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
superstreet786 
Silver - Posts: 339
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2004 at 6:10 PM / IP Logged  
haha thats why cuz they just barely came out and most places wont have em... hehe just given ya a hard time
---- 1996 Chevy S10 ----
1 Lightning Audio S2.600.2 Amp
2 Lightning Audio 12" Subs
1 Lightning Audio 1 Farad Cap
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 01, 2004 at 6:59 PM / IP Logged  
Just slip that 10 awg wire into the glove compartment...you never know when you'll need something on hand to slip around a saleman's neck when he switches you to a demo model!
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic