icon

Alpine CDA-9815 requires 10awg power?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
SpacemanSpiff 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2004 at 10:05 AM / IP Logged  

please tell me this thread is an april fools joke or something.... i find it hard to believe this many people are falling for crutchfield's marketing. if alpine wanted you to run a 10ga power line directly from the battery, do you think they'd have a 16-18ga power line out of the head unit? no.

go to radio (s)hack and buy yourself some primary wire that's at least the same gauge as the yellow line coming out of the head unit and you'll be more than fine.

as for running TWO 10ga lines directly to the battery.... go nuts if you like spending lots of cash and making more work for yourself. if you look on the aforementioned yellow wire, you'll see a noise choke block that has a 15 or 20a fuse in it. that's certainly nothing that needs a direct run to a battery (when they tell you to go directly to the battery, it's a figure of speech meaning not to tap off of another distributed line). the main reason they tell you to run your own line is that they can't predict what manufacturers are going to have for a stock stereo power line and don't want to assume responsibility for melting your car. run the wire to the positive block on your interior fuse panel and you'll be more than fine.

oh, to qualify my statements, i've had a 9815 for over a year and it's had no problems whatsoever.

raydawg357 
Silver - Posts: 769
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2004 at 1:42 PM / IP Logged  
Alpine and most Clarion decks say they require 10ga power wire, but both work perfectly fine connected to standard harnesses.  It's a recommendation, not a requirement.
Do it right the first time
SpacemanSpiff 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2004 at 2:35 PM / IP Logged  
just went thru the 9815 manual.... no mention of 10ga wire. they just specify that you go straight to the battery. logically it would make no sense to run 10ga to a 16ga line. alpine certainly isn't going to use a wire that would melt under normal usage, and if their 16ga yellow wire won't, neither will yours.
jo90 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: May 12, 2004 at 5:22 AM / IP Logged  
I run the same unit and never had trouble using 20 Amp cable direct from the battery. Wouldnt recommend using anything but due to the VDrive using all of that 20 Amp pull in full use
SpacemanSpiff 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 12, 2004 at 7:22 AM / IP Logged  

of course you CAN use any size cable you like -point is, you're not doing yourself any favors or making your stereo run any better.

all i'm saying is that it's overkill to go any larger than what alpine gives you with their yellow wire. if it required a 10ga power line, why would they give you a 14-16ga one that goes into the back of the head unit? if the stereo did in fact pull enough amperage to need a cable that large, the one they give you would heat up (and probably melt) under normal use. obviously they aren't going to do that -what company sells their product with wires that aren't good enough to run it?

i guess i don't know how to explain it any more... spend as much as you like, just realize places like crutchfield are taking advantage of you.

Teslank 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2004 at 10:30 PM / IP Logged  

hi all im going to buy a 9815 in 4 days and dammit after reading all of this damn sh*t do i need a wire straight from the battery to the HU or not,

oh i have a toyota corolla 1997 if someone had a bad luck with this car and HU tell me before i scrap up lots of money!!!

thanks to all!

Page of 3

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic