icon

'94 toyota corolla has audio problem

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
vicfuzzy 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2004 at 5:02 PM / IP Logged  

Ok, this is my first post but I wanted to ask anyone with experience to help me with my car's problem.

I have a 1994 toyota corolla and I just got a fairly new rampage  head unit.  But this is beside the point.  Anyway I tried to hook it up and all I could get it to do (when faceplate was removed) was get the little red light blinking.  It would not turn on so I decided to put the factory head unit back in.  BIG HEADACHE that was.  Before I put the original back in I decided to first put in my new speakers.  I was very excited and plugged up the factory unit and all that it would do was turn on.?!?!?  No sound at all.  I changed the fuse and still nothing seemed to work.  So i'm pleading with anyone who might be able to give me some insight, to PLEASE HELP ME.  Anything will be greatly appreciated.  I've tried to fix this for almost 2 weeks and I'm at a loss.  My friend came over to try and help and he noticed that the little chime when you open the door or do not have your seatbelt on doesn't even work now.  I need advice please.                                 

-sincerely-

Vicfuzzy

lagatbezan 
Copper - Posts: 117
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2004 at 6:13 PM / IP Logged  

Get a digital meter and make sure that you have power on the acc. and memory wire.  To me it sounds like you have a blown fuse on the constant wire (thats why when u put the rampage in, only the red blinking light came on).  Check your fuse box and make sure that all the fuses are good.  your car might also have a fuse box under the hood.

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2004 at 6:32 PM / IP Logged  

Two things.  First, did you use the wiring harness adapter for this car or did you cut into the factory harness?  Second, you say there was a red blinking light with the face plate removed.  This is usually a theft-deterent light to make a passing thief think the car has an alarm system in it (Panasonic and a few others do this as well.)  Did you try to turn it on with the face plate installed?  Dumb question, I know, but you never said...  If you replaced the factory head and it turned on but there was no sound, was there an error code displayed on the head (like a security system)?

vicfuzzy 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2004 at 7:36 PM / IP Logged  

to DYohn & lagatbezan

No there wasn't an error message on the factory unit.  Everything looked normal except there was no sound.

Even illumination and the radio station looked fine.  I put in a tape (it's an old unit) and the display looked as if it was playing the tape.  And as for the rampage unit I did put the face plate on securily and it would not power up.  I looked at the car's manual and it was not to helpful with the fuse problem.  It showed what & where all the fuses did and were and it only had one fuse for the whole radio system.  Maybe there is two fused one for the constant & switched.  If you know of two or more fuses it would be greatly appreciated to know of them or it.   also to clerify.  I did place the faceplate on very securily and made sure all availabe connections were made.  As for the under the hood fuse box all the fuses were for everything but the radio.  The only one I saw was under the drivers kick panel and I've made sure that the fuse was the right wattage & everything.  Also made sure that it was in the right spot.  I have read other member's topics' on toyota and some of them have the same problem.  I thank you for looking at my topic and responding with speed.  I thought I would have to wait a few days but you have proved me wrong.  Thank you very much.  If there is anything more you can help me with it would be much appreciated.

-thanks' again-

vicfuzzy

Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2004 at 8:00 PM / IP Logged  

those rampage decks have a reset button, you have to press it before first power up.  The red blinking light meant it had power, but was in "safe" mode i guess, , to tell you that you need to reset it.

And as for the no sound, im betting that its your connections at the speakers, how did you connect them?

2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
lagatbezan 
Copper - Posts: 117
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2004 at 8:28 PM / IP Logged  
Did u check to see if the radio is getting power, constant and ground with a meter?
vicfuzzy 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2004 at 8:42 PM / IP Logged  
yes i did check the power with a meter.  Do you mean the rampage or the factory deck?  but i did check the ground and constant and they get like 120-150 volts or somewhere in-between.  And also i pushed the reset button too but it still did not work.
jimmeezgolfvr6 
Silver - Posts: 258
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2004 at 6:15 AM / IP Logged  
according to memory, the radio fuse that's in the engine compartment is not labelled as "radio".....i can't remember the exact name of it offhand, but it's worth looking into.
you've mentioned that you've replaced the front speakers. check to see that you didn't pinch those speaker wires against the metal part of the door, or something similar to that. disconnect the h/u and see if there's any ground signals coming from the speaker wires.
btw, rampage units usually come with security screws on the body when they come out of the packaging. i know it's a silly question, but did you remove those screws? i'd bet you probably did because they have red plastic labels on them, and the cage would have been tough to pull out with them still there.....i'm just checking all possibilities.
vicfuzzy 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2004 at 11:03 AM / IP Logged  

could one of the wires touching the metal part of the door really cut off all of the speakers?  If so and there's no other fuse then that is the problem.  as for the rampage system, I didn't get it brand new, but I got it from a friend when I went to his house and he was trying to install a complete new sony xplode system and he gave me the old player but for a while he was listening to it so I know that it works but I'm just a beginner at this so I don't know whats what.  But I'm definetely gonna check and make sure that the wires aren't touching the doors.  If you have any more info please let me know.                         

-thanks for all the great help-

vicfuzzy

raydawg357 
Silver - Posts: 769
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2004 at 10:50 AM / IP Logged  
Did you bench check your Rampage unit?  They have been known to come out of the box bad.
Do it right the first time
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic