Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
icu400 
Copper - Posts: 123
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2004 at 1:30 PM / IP Logged  
Alright, I have 2 sony pentagon 10 inch subs
so, two questions:
1) http://sm.crutchfield.com/S-bFsm51Xwett/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?a=0&s=45&cc=01&g=110&id=morephotos&i=158XM2200#morephotos
is that a good enough amp to power them, its a 2 channel that puts out 200 watts rms at 4 ohm x2, so i was thinking use one channel for each sub? 200 watts per sub, not bad, right?
i can spend about 200 bucks on the amp, and it will only be powering subs, this just looked like a good way to do it, just some input
2) what kind of box would be best, sealed or bandpass? I have heard each is effecient, but sealed is more concise sound while bandpass is more 'bang'. Again, just some input if you would, thanks guys.
TAudio 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2004 at 2:57 PM / IP Logged  
The amp will do fine, but you will be running in stereo (not always an ok thing). Usually if you run an amp bridged it will push the subs a little harder, but you couldn't do that with this amp since it is only rated @4 ohms bridged (correction you could do it, but you would risk blowing the amp because you would have a 2 ohm load). Do a little shopping around for a cheap monoblock that is rated at 400 x 1 watts rms @ 2 ohms. That would pound your subs.
On the box, go sealed. You will be much happier in the long run. Bandpass boxes have a tendancy to shorten the life of a sub and don't pruduce as dynamic of a sound as a good sealed box. Also you would have to have a bandpass custom built for it to sound right. a sealed one you should be able to build yourself.
If quiters never win, and winners never quit, who the heck came up with the idea that you should quit while your ahead?
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2004 at 3:06 PM / IP Logged  

1. [url=http://sm.crutchfield.com/S-AY2DSpgQQ4J/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?s=45&c=3&g=130&I=158XMD500X&o=m&a=0&cc=01&avf=N]This[/url] is what you should use (if you have to use sony).

2. Put those sonys in a good sealed box.

icu400 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2004 at 5:31 PM / IP Logged  
awesome, now, a couple new questions:
1) differance between stereo and mono? (for the sound illiterate)
2) what is the differance between the amp I posted and the one customsuburb posted (if i read this right, the one i put up would give each sub 200 watts rms, but the other one would put 250 into each? is that what is up?
3) why is stereo bad for subs then?
4) where is a good place online to get a good sealed box (low budget, i don't think they cost more than 40-50 bucks to buy, right?)
thanks again
oh, and last thing, in yalls opinion is it pretty easy to wire this stuff up yourself, if you are somewhat technically minded? thanks
customsuburb 
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2004 at 5:48 PM / IP Logged  

1. A mono amp can handle a 2 ohm load at least usually and is a good choice for driving subs. If you buy a class D mono amp it will be more effecient then a stereo amp also.  Stereo amps have 2 channels and can be bridged to run subs also.

2. The amp I posted will output 250 watts rms (probobly less because sony usually overrates their amps power handling) to each sub and the one you previously posted would output 200 watts rms to each.

3. Stereo amps arnt bad for subs they are usually just not as versitale as mono amps.

4. Crutchfield.com sells some ok q logic boxes.

5. wire your subs like this:

good amp/box for 2 sony 10'' subs? -- posted image.

framedragger 
Copper - Posts: 105
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2004 at 6:47 PM / IP Logged  

if u can find one around ur area, you could even get the JBL 600/1 mono block amplifier.....around 200 bucks...maybe 220-240 but worth the money from what others have told me

customsuburb 
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2004 at 7:24 PM / IP Logged  

I wouldnt buy that amp unless you want those sony subs to end up on the car behind you.

HumbleI 
Copper - Posts: 103
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2004 at 7:30 PM / IP Logged  
You know there is a reason that sony calls that line XPLOD.... I worked at Best Buy for a year in their car audio section, thats the sub that got returned the most...we had a lil joke going around the department cuz they quite literally.... XPLOD
Love-peace-guidance
word-SOUND&power
icu400 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2004 at 8:00 PM / IP Logged  
Custumsuburb: Thats a series diagram unless I forgot basic electricity. Now, to adapt that to the amp (http://sm.crutchfield.com/S-FAorIoEPd45/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?s=45&cc=01&g=130&id=morephotos&pi=4&i=158XMD500X&display=XL#morephotos) what wires do you route out from the amp speaker outs to what sub? More acuratly, why are there 4 speaker outs if you are going to wire it like that?
also, crutch sells a bunch of single sub boxes, whats a good site for getting a good dual sealed box, is ebay a good option here?
Humblel: I already bought the subs, so its a little late to return them....but what was causing them to break all the time? Were people putting too much power through them or something, because it seems to me 250 watts is a lot below the 350 max rms they can take...any tips?
HumbleI 
Copper - Posts: 103
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2004 at 8:15 PM / IP Logged  
#1 wire them right, with wahtever amp you get, ... most of the people who bought the subs did their own installations, and I guarantee they didnt know anythign past the basics, #2 dont abuse them, dont give too little power to them, because that could hurt them even more than too much power, and get at least 4g wires... think of it like sucking air through a paper towel roll, as opposed to breathing through a straw..... Just dont abuse them is waht im trying to say.. match them as closely as you can with whatever amp your getting, and take it from there.. but dont expect these to be cheap subs you can bang around.. you get waht you pay for you know??... treat them like diamonds and they could last you some time...
Love-peace-guidance
word-SOUND&power
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic