icon

good amp/box for 2 sony 10'' subs?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
icu400 
Copper - Posts: 123
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2004 at 8:27 PM / IP Logged  
yeah, i get the picture. I won't abuse them, my only worry right now is the wiring (but that of course is what I am here to figure out). I was thinking it would be best to match sony subs w/ sony amp, and I have come to trust sony to a degree over the years.
4gauge wire sounds good, would you recommend getting a wiring kit, or visiting radio shack? The only thing that I am not totally sure I could pick up there that is in the kits is the inline fuse near the battery, but I would bet they sell those. Best buy charges 100 bucks or so for a 4g wiring kit, but I am sure I could put one together myself at radio shack for like 20. Thoughts?
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2004 at 8:31 PM / IP Logged  

1. You wire each sub to each terminal. There are two outputs on that amp to make it easier to hook up multiple subs (the two outputs are connected to one mono inside the amp).

2. Ebay if fine for a box, or you could buy one like this off of sound domain.com. The box off of sound domain has a slightly smaller cutout then the sony subs so a little bit of cutting is going to be needed if you buy that one.

3. They probobly blow so often because they are running off of sony amps that have the gain all the way up therefore feeding them a clipped signal, and are in too big or small of a box.

HumbleI 
Copper - Posts: 103
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2004 at 8:44 PM / IP Logged  
4gauge wiring kits for $100 bucks... listen bro... best buys price$ are outragous!!.. although I worked there.. I got heaps of discounts.. now that I dont.. I woud lnever buy anything from there.. although if you buy something from them (like a sub) if you blow it they will replace it if you ge the service plan ( which is sick .. cuz you can blow as many as youd like ;)   ) .... but I would go to circuit city, one of those sorts of places... or you could buy offline... go to INSTALLER.COM and look at their selection they have amp kits sold together.. or you can piece together one by yourself... some of their stuff is a lil pricey but its just an idea.. look around, see what you can find.. If your gonna make it yourself... more power to ya.. just make sure its sealed and holds together tight...
Love-peace-guidance
word-SOUND&power
icu400 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2004 at 9:03 PM / IP Logged  
Alright, now, assuming that amp, and a 0.7-0.77 cubic-ft box, how would I prevent blowing out the subs?
Also, would a .77 cubic sealed box be alright, found one on ebay that looks alright, and would not require cutting like the other one (made of MDF too)
Yeah, I agree, best buy prices are pretty sick. I will probably just get a kit online, just cause saving the 10-15 bucks really isn't worth that much of my time.
Oh, and what is a 'clipped' signal?
icu400 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2004 at 9:04 PM / IP Logged  
Also, if i go with a sealed box, is it wise to get some grills, in the interest of protecting the speakers?
customsuburb 
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2004 at 9:05 PM / IP Logged  

If you carry alot of stuff in your trunk then you may as well.

icu400 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2004 at 9:11 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah, i guess thats a bit more of a personal problem.
So if I just keep the power at a normal level, i should be ok as far as blowing them out, right?
Also, while I am thinking about it, what are the pre-amp outputs on a aftermarket stereo for? Are they the outs that hook up to the amp and take the sound from the stereo to the amp and from there to the subs?
icu400 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2004 at 9:13 PM / IP Logged  
While I am thinking about it, I drive an explorer, dunno if that factors into all this, but I had thought it would be better with an explorer cause the box will be in the back and not behind a trunk wall or whatnot
customsuburb 
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2004 at 9:18 PM / IP Logged  

Preamp outputs send a low level signal (your music) to aftermarket amplifiers.

HumbleI 
Copper - Posts: 103
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2004 at 9:21 PM / IP Logged  
It will sound good in your explorer.. because of rolloff, which is pretty much a fancy word for "it sounds better when its in the same cabin as you".... Im not sure what the box recommendations are for that particular sub but make sure you get it as close to them as you can.. that is CRUCIAL to not blowing them... its always smart to put a grill on them, especially in an SUV... like in my accord, I have come to accept that I just have no trunk lol... so i never put shiz in there but Im a surfer, and definately wouldnt want my fins hitting into the subs and breaking them... ( in the case that that does happen.. a little bit of nailpolish, duct tape and glue or sealant that wont hurt your subs should do the trick)
Love-peace-guidance
word-SOUND&power
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic