icon

trunk rattling

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Audiobahn1500 
Copper - Posts: 91
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2004 at 5:18 PM / IP Logged  
Well this is kind of a dumb question cause i'm sure i know the answer already but i have two 12" L7's well we all know they pound. Well the trunk on my car rattles to beat hell well i turn the box around this should cut back on this right??
IIrjII 
Copper - Posts: 103
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2004 at 5:19 PM / IP Logged  
Dynamat, dynamat, dynamat, dynamat.
Sweekster 
Silver - Posts: 481
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2004 at 6:19 PM / IP Logged  
Brown Bread works just as good and is cheaper.
http://www.b-quiet.com
Duane...
If you think you're confused, imagine how you feel.   trunk rattling -- posted image.
HumbleI 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2004 at 8:32 PM / IP Logged  
where exactly would you put the dynamat in the trunk.. and would it reeeeeeeeeeeallly help the rattling.. i have an accord with 4 mtx 8000's in the trunk and you wouldnt believe the amount of noise coming off that thing....... I have alot of Dynamat cuz I worked at best buy and got it for like 11 bucks for whatever I wanted... madd cheap but now that I quite that place.... I ve heard of people using the stuff the put on houses.. in the roofing section of any homedepot or leow's.. its got a tar side and a foil side.. just like dynamat.. brownbread is thicker.. but when you can buy a role of roofing stuff for $50 bucks for a 100ft role.. who cares?? lol..... need help with the trunk though.. I put dynamat in the rear deck.. but now the roof of the car rattles... could this be from the wires for the overhead dome light?? and is there a way to stop it?? thanks...
Love-peace-guidance
word-SOUND&power
robbie2883 
Copper - Posts: 104
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2004 at 9:52 PM / IP Logged  

What you are dealing with is called resonant frequency. Here's the solution......

robbie2883 wrote:
the best way to do that is trial and error. I know that's not what you wanted to hear, but....look, the best way to sound deaden a car is not to just cover everything in dynomat. You don't have to go that far. start by getting your subs and amp in the vehicle where they will be installed. Get your hands on a cd that will run a bass wave sweep through all the frequencies. start with the lowest freq. and find the parts of the vehicle that are rattling. Deaden just those areas with dynomat ad expanding spray foam. Hit the next bass frequency and do it again and again untill you've gone up to around 160hz. That should cover you through the midrange. What you are doing is finding the resonant frequency of your specific vehicle. It may take some time, but it will produce exactly the rock solid result you are looking for, ad ya won't have to spend alot on dynomat. Good luck.

if its jammed force it - if it breaks in the process it needed to be fixed anyway
trunk rattling -- posted image.
robbie2883 
Copper - Posts: 104
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2004 at 9:53 PM / IP Logged  
by the way...the stuff you are talking about from home depot is called peal and seal. it's use for sealing window and door frames....but you are right. It works great as a dynomat replacement
if its jammed force it - if it breaks in the process it needed to be fixed anyway
trunk rattling -- posted image.
HumbleI 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2004 at 11:35 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the info...Yea I know coating your car in Dynomat is a dumb thing to do... even thoguh I still have alot of it.. I've been doing like you said with the trial and error... Where can you buy those cd's from?? I know you can download stuff on kazaa but Im not sure what to use and waht not to... I just use regular songs and make a mental note when I am driving of hearing rattles... but the trunk is nuts... I have a spoiler on... ( wasnt my choice, it was on when I bought it cuz its a used car) I like it with the spoiler on, and I filled it with pour foam ( by the way is ther any way to get that off your car cuz thers a inch by inch place you can see it) that stuff is scary and Im not going to use it again but what type of spray foam can you get.. any names I should look out for specifically?
Love-peace-guidance
word-SOUND&power
Ketel22 
Silver - Posts: 976
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2004 at 4:06 AM / IP Logged  
have you tried to change the bump stops on the trunk making them hold the truck tighter against the lock? or even tightened the whole truck assembly as to bring it down closer to all of the seals.
Quad L Handyman services
HumbleI 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 16, 2004 at 11:23 AM / IP Logged  
How would one go a bout doing that?? I have tightened screws etc... but I dont know what/where the bumpstops are...??
Love-peace-guidance
word-SOUND&power
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 16, 2004 at 5:10 PM / IP Logged  

HumbleI wrote:
Thanks for the info... Where can you buy those cd's from??

Here is a link to software that will do the job.  http://www.softpile.com/Education/Mathematics/Review_21743_index.html

I used it to make a CD of all the freqs from 19 to 50, and 55 up to 100 by fives.  Then some selected higher freqs.  It's shareware but you use it free for 14 days.  I made the CD the first day and haven't looked at it again.  Select the sine wave and type in the freq you want, and record a .wav file.  Click on the help menu for the instructions.

This will let you record as long as you want for each low freq, so for looking around the car for rattles you can have each one at two or three minutes.  Then switch to the next track to go to the next higher one if you don't want to wait the full time.  I haven't used it yet specifically for rattles (I can't afford the deadener yet!), but I used it to break in the new sub I got yesterday using the 22Hz track, and that was a great sight to watch.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic