icon

Subwoofer Orientation.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
oreo lover 
Member - Posts: 47
Member spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2004 at 11:03 PM / IP Logged  

I have two TS-W12PRS Premier subwoofers.  I would like to have the magnets exposed (Outside of the enclosure) since they are quite spectacular to look at.  Installing the subs like this is referred to as what?  Inverted?  Anyway, I heard somewhere that if you install the subs like this, you have to reverse the sub's polarity?  Please advise if this statement is accurate and if so, how do I do this?  The specs call for a sealed enclosure with the volume of 1.0 cu. ft. or 28 liters, both of +/- 10%.

I have all the parameters and specs but do not know how to use them properly.  My Subs are the DVC, 2ohm model.  I am looking to do my install in about a month from now.  I am sure I will have more questions concerning this install.  If you need more info, I will get it.  Please help.  Thanks,

Steve

Ketel22 
Silver - Posts: 976
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2004 at 11:13 PM / IP Logged  
yes it is called inverted, and you need to take the positive of the amp to the negatives of every sub inverted. i really dont understand what or if you had a second question. sry
Quad L Handyman services
oreo lover 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2004 at 11:38 PM / IP Logged  

Yes KETEL22, about my other question.  I guess I forgot to ask it.  It's late, I'm tired.  My Bad.

The second question should have been finding the most accurate volume for my enclosure.  Short of filling the box with water, what is the best method to find volume?  The problem is that my idea for the box is not going to have square dimensions by any stretch of the imagination.  I'm trying to add style to the box.  Picture this: A perfect cube.  12" X 12" X 12" = 1 cu ft. exactly.  Lets say I wanted to change the face of one side.  Lets say, looking at the box at eye level, the front face.  Pivot that face about its vertical center line by 15 Degrees.  Therefore elongating left side of the box while shortening the right side.  Is that box still 1 cu ft. exactly?  I am trying to explain my question as clear as possible.

Bear with me on this one.  Do the same thing to top now.  Pivot it along its dead center line by 15 degrees, whichever way you like.  As long as you respect the fact that you remain on the dead center of the wall you are pivoting, does the volume remain 1 cu. ft.?

Obviously this will be done by computer.  Namely AutoCAD.  Am I making sense here? 

Ketel22 
Silver - Posts: 976
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2004 at 12:02 AM / IP Logged  

im not exactly sure of what shape you are trying to achieve, maybe you could make your c.a.d drawing and import a picture in one of your posts. but i would just use the volume formula's for squares, triangles, etc.

12volt as pretty much every one you can need here,

https://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/boxcalcs.asp

just find the shapes in your box and use the formula's just adding the anwsers of all the ones you use together....

Quad L Handyman services
doc t 
Copper - Posts: 169
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2004 at 5:19 AM / IP Logged  
if the length and width sizes don't change and you keep opposite sides in sink with each other ( meaning, l =12, w = 12, h = 12 as you 1cu.ft states) then you will have not changed the cu.ft out come...however if you want to make an irrigular shaped enclosure, with one side longer than the other then the cu ft will be change. when I built all my sub boxes I used a box calculator....I'm sure you will find one here. they are great and really help.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 15, 2004 at 7:27 AM / IP Logged  

Keep in mind that all box dimensions are measured on the inside of the box.  So then a 12X12X12 box is not 1 cu ft, because the inside dimensions are reduced by the 3/4 or 1 inch thickness of the material.  Draw some basic sketches of what you want the enclosure to look like according to the space in the car you have.  They don't have to be accurate at this time.  Now,  divide that drawing into rectangles.

With a slanted side, you will have a triangle, too.  The square inches of that triangle are figured by:  1/2 base X height X width.  All the rectangles are figured as length X  height X width, with length being the same direction as base in the triangle.

Your specs call for 1 ft3, 12X 12x 12 = 1728.  Play around with your drawing dimensions until you get that.  And those will be the inside dimensions.  Once you get there...you will change it again to accomodate the woofer, or should I say, the lack of it.  Being inverted, it will not be taking up space in the box, but will also be adding space to the box (the volume inside the cone).   Draw it on your sketch for a clear view.

The allowance you have is about 10%.  The speaker displacement is somewhat less than 10% of 1 ft3, I would presume.  So you can get the dimensions close without having to worry about being true to the inch.

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2004 at 8:10 AM / IP Logged  
When you invert a loudspeaker, you must also remember that the enclosure volume will INCREASE by the volume inside the woofer cone, since you have just added that to the enclosure interior volume.
Support the12volt.com
oreo lover 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2004 at 8:58 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks for all the feedback guys.  Can the woofers be installed facing a flat wall?  I've been told that they should not fire perpendicular towards a wall.  That they should be on an angle towards the facing wall.

If this is the case, I will make the floor my box.  Also, does the depth of the box matter?  Can the box be, let's say, two inches deep using the width and length to achieve the volume?  Now I'm thinking to install the subs firing downward and have the magnets sticking upward.  Raising the floor 2 inches or so will leave me with alot more trunk space.  Let me know if there are any important rules to folow when designing an enclosure. 

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 15, 2004 at 9:14 AM / IP Logged  

A rule to try to follow is the "Golden Ratio", to present the best acoustical response.  The ratio is .62 to 1.0 to 1.62.  So that if, for example you replace the 1.0 with 8", then .62 would be 5" and 1.62 would be 13".  For a box dimension of  8 X 5 X 13.  (That box is too small for anything, but just to illustrate the ratio.)

Rarely can this be possible, especially with angles.  But you see that none of the parameters are extremely small.  Angles, too, are good for the acoustics, especially the face or the back.

oreo lover 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2004 at 9:52 AM / IP Logged  

stevdart wrote:

A rule to try to follow is the "Golden Ratio", to present the best acoustical response.  The ratio is .62 to 1.0 to 1.62.  So that if, for example you replace the 1.0 with 8", then .62 would be 5" and 1.62 would be 13".  For a box dimension of  8 X 5 X 13.  (That box is too small for anything, but just to illustrate the ratio.)

Rarely can this be possible, especially with angles.  But you see that none of the parameters are extremely small.  Angles, too, are good for the acoustics, especially the face or the back.

I had heard of the "Golden Ratio" before and wondered if it was still applied to present day calculations.  I say present day because I have some old "N.A.M.E." videos on pod making and enclosure designing that mention the "Golden Ratio".

What do you mean by this paragraph below?

"Rarely can this be possible, especially with angles.  But you see that none of the parameters are extremely small.  Angles, too, are good for the acoustics, especially the face or the back."

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic