icon

Jbl bp1200.1 too much draw?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Beerman354 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2004 at 6:13 PM / IP Logged  
I just wanted to know if the jbl bp1200.1 would be to much draw for my truck. its a 2000 F-150 and i think it has a 100 amp alternator???
bfletcher 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2004 at 7:06 PM / IP Logged  
The 1200.1 doesn't really draw a lot of current.  As long as you stay away from the power series then you should be okay.  The 1200.1 is one of my favorite amps it looks good and has great power especially for the money.
bfletcher 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2004 at 7:08 PM / IP Logged  
The 1200.1is great amp and shouldn't draw too much current for that vehicle.  I will reccomend that you put a 1farad cap in with it.  It's always cheaper than a new alternator.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2004 at 7:37 PM / IP Logged  

bfletcher wrote:
The 1200.1is great amp and shouldn't draw too much current for that vehicle.  I will reccomend that you put a 1farad cap in with it.  It's always cheaper than a new alternator.

A cap and an alternator do two different things.  A cap will help the amp maintain full output during high volume peaks.  It will not help with system current draw problems.  Only an alternator can do that.

Support the12volt.com
bfletcher 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2004 at 8:58 PM / IP Logged  

Actually a cap keeps a charge which charges and discharges as the amp requires.Because of this it helps the alternator work less to keep a charge on the system.  Without a cap  a extra drain on the system like an amp will cause the alternator to work harder to maintain the minimal charge which in turn decreases the life of the alternator. If you don't believe it helps then take your cap out and do a voltage draw on your system then put it back in and do it again.

Pola_Trucos 
Member - Posts: 43
Member spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2004 at 9:04 PM / IP Logged  
Same question but with  a 1989 Jimmy S-15 With oem 95 amp alternator.
Dont use ten words when 5 will do fine.
audiocableguy 
Copper - Posts: 630
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2004 at 9:12 PM / IP Logged  
The 1200.1 is a great amp when you consider price/performance. I'm running Zapco C2K-4.0, C2K-3.0, and a C2k-6.0 in a 03' F-150 with a stock batt and alternator without a problem. If the A/C is on and the headlights/driving lights I get a bit of dimming with the amps cranked. Alt life will be shorter than usual. Will replace with a Wrangler 200 amp when the time comes.
Good Luck!
Pola_Trucos 
Member - Posts: 43
Member spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2004 at 9:19 PM / IP Logged  
I just found a site on ebay that sell alternators starting at 89 bucks with 1year waranty at 165 amps. What you think of that???? Should I upgradre my alt to avoid problems.
Dont use ten words when 5 will do fine.
Beerman354 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2004 at 9:43 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks to everybody that replied... Im diffently gonna get the jbl 1200.1

bfletcher 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2004 at 9:48 PM / IP Logged  
I don't think that I would buy a alternator that cost 89.  I wouldn't even buy a cap for that price.  If you go to Powermasters website you'll see that most of theirs run from 200-600 but they are some of the best.  A friend of mine has one on a honda civic with two crown series jbl amps and runs 14 volts at idle.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic