icon

Not enough boom for my buck

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Trent109 
Member - Posts: 42
Member spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2004 at 1:20 PM / IP Logged  
if you want, i will take some detailed pictures, on how everything is wired up, and you all can decide on what i am doing wrong
i will have them back up probably tonight
Trent109 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2004 at 1:32 PM / IP Logged  
heres the soundstrems specs on the Divinci, it is the DV-12
http://www.soundstream.com/sub/support_wooferspecs_pg3.html
kickerstang 
Copper - Posts: 180
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2004 at 1:41 PM / IP Logged  
it appears you have dual 2 ohm subs which works perfect with the amps you have. you're info states that your amps are 500 x 2 @ 4 ohm mono. you need your subs voice coils to be wired in series to a 4 ohm load and each sub bridged between two channels.  so you will have 2 subs per amp getting 500 watts a piece. that is how it should be installed, now whether it is or not i don't know. and your box should be fine if it is built to specs because the website did not recomend  a sealed enclosure for those subs.
what!?!?! you want some??
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2004 at 1:49 PM / IP Logged  

I suspect a phase cancellation problem from either a hook-up error or from positioning in your vehicle, and maybe the wrong size enclosure.  Could also be that you are expecting more than it can deliver, but the Divinci subs can crank out the SPL.

Support the12volt.com
Trent109 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2004 at 5:57 PM / IP Logged  
Ok, it took me a little while, but here are all the picures:
Not enough boom for my buck - Page 2 -- posted image.
this is a picture of one of the sub amps:
heres the picture of the highs AMP:
there are more pictures at https://img56.photobucket.com/albums/v172/trent109/Stereo/?action=view&slideshow=true
DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2004 at 6:18 PM / IP Logged  
OK, looks like a nice install, but it doesn't tell me anything about how the speakers are connected to the amps...
Support the12volt.com
Trent109 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2004 at 6:34 PM / IP Logged  
heres something that kinda made me think if this was done right or not, this is the ground the goes into the second battery, is this a good enough ground, or should i have it moved?
it is screwed in the bracket the holds the seat belt bolt in, is this acceptable?
DYohn 
Posted: April 18, 2004 at 6:40 PM / IP Logged  
This is an amaturish move.  Grounds should NEVER be connected to the seat bolts or seat belt bolts.  Get it on its own bolt to the chassis of the car, not to a seat bolt!  This reinforces my impression that it's not your equipment that is leaving you disapointed, it's your install.
Support the12volt.com
Trent109 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2004 at 10:00 PM / IP Logged  
Do you also think that would make the subs make a loud poping noise when you turn it down extremly fast, and when you turn it off.....
thanks
Trent hamilton
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2004 at 10:50 PM / IP Logged  
That would also play into the picture. Do you have a meter? I'm outta here right now so leave some more info and I'll see if I can get around to it in the morning. We've got a busy day tomorrow so no promises. If you do have a meter do a search for the words resistance on a ground lead ( or return) or possibly ground return resistance or something to that effect. It should pull up some info that I have posted.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic