icon

Not enough boom for my buck

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kickerstang 
Copper - Posts: 180
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2004 at 6:42 AM / IP Logged  
it looks like you have the boxes facing opposite directions or is that one box?  that could cause cancellation which may be a part in why you're not satisfied with your set up. maybe try a different configuration for your boxes and see if the makes a difference. or build a box with all for facing up or maybe even try a downfire box, just give yourself a few inches of clearance from the floor if you do a downfire. try and get all 4 subs firing in the same direction to reduce cancellation
what!?!?! you want some??
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2004 at 9:58 AM / IP Logged  
Thats exectly what I was looking at as well. If your subs are facing oposite directions thats gonna be a huge problem and if a pro shop did that they are a piss poor shop. You need all 4 subs firing the same dirrection.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2004 at 10:16 AM / IP Logged  
Indeed.  Acoustic cancellation is the result.  I didn't realize you were showing four subs...
Support the12volt.com
Trent109 
Member - Posts: 42
Member spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2004 at 4:19 PM / IP Logged  
The rear part of the box that is facing the door is angled up, the guy who designed it said that i would bring a little more DBs in the long run, there is a divider in the middle to where only two subs are on each chamber, do you still think it could be cancelling out?? if so, does someone think they could design me a box to get the MAX db's possible, i bought all this stuff to take to a show, and i know it wont win right now, so im tryin to get everyone opinion on everything.
What do you think now?
Thanks
Trent Hamilton
DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2004 at 4:36 PM / IP Logged  
You could get a good result with the setup you have, but it will reqyuire some digital delay equipmwent (DSP) for the front set of subs.  You need what's called a time-alignment device.  You'll want to add a delay to the amp sending the signal to the front set of woofers so that the sound they produce arrives at the driver's seat at the same time as the sound from the rear woofers.  There are some EQs with delays in them, and some dedicated delays that would work.  You'll need a real-time analyzer or at least an SPL meter to set them up correctly.
Support the12volt.com
Trent109 
Member - Posts: 42
Member spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2004 at 8:30 PM / IP Logged  
I noticed today while i was showing some of my friends my system that on one of my amps the RCA OPEN light is off, it is on, on all the other amps, does anyone know what this means?
DYohn 
Posted: April 19, 2004 at 11:58 PM / IP Logged  
"RCA Open" on Soundstream amps indicates bad RCA cable leads.  This could be your problem.  Take it back to wherever did the install and have them fix the ground and replace the RCA cables.
Support the12volt.com
flynntech 
Copper - Posts: 275
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2004 at 12:11 AM / IP Logged  

WOW......a pro installation...

An absolute discrace.....

kickerstang 
Copper - Posts: 180
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2004 at 6:56 AM / IP Logged  
do those subs only need .75 ft3 per??  i'v enever heard of an SPL sub that needed that little of airspace.  i think building a new box would be faster, cheaper, easier, and acheive better results than buying delay equipment. hit us back with the measurements of your cargo area and sub specs and we can help you design a new box.
what!?!?! you want some??
Page of 3

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic