icon

Running wires from kick panel to door?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
snoVVman 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2004 at 3:31 PM / IP Logged  

So in your previous post, JWorm, you mean to push most of the folds in the boot into the door while pushing the snake through?

On the inside kick panel, the entry point is blocked by the parking brake mechanism and auto release/vacuum mechanism.  I can only feel the hole with a couple of fingers but not see it.  Do you remove the mechanism (looks like a PITA).

In my previous attemps, it feels like the snake has gone through the rubber into the cabin but then it hits metal.  I know what you mean about directing the snake up but it seems like a difficult thing to do.

I apprecate any other comments that might be helpful.

JAMES.

draasch 
Gold - Posts: 2,172
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2004 at 4:06 PM / IP Logged  
you can do it.....it will just take time.
if you can pull the boot out instead of in...it might give you a little more room to work with. use a flashlight so you can see where the most room is...
Good Luck
David
Ace Security
813-376-9778
Tampa
Donate to the 12volt
osokrayzay 
Copper - Posts: 54
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2004 at 5:04 PM / IP Logged  
not hijacking thread in simliar situation tho . I am able to remove the boot, but it has a plastic clip with wires so i cant pass any wires trough, any suggestion.
Dodge Ram 1500 regualr cab
tcool 
Copper - Posts: 100
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2004 at 8:27 PM / IP Logged  

I just did the same thing. JWorm is right, pushing as much of the boot as you can into the door is the way to go. Running the wires through the cabin with the boot out of the way in the door is relatively easy. I think you're probably going to have a bigger problem with the current draw. Navigator windows don't roll all the way up and down consistently with modules (at least not the 3 different brands I've tried).  I've tried a generic, an omega and a high current crimestopper model to no avail. I was going to try the DEI 530T, but haven't gotten around to it yet .Let me know what kind of module you used, and if it worked well.

bzzzzttttt
snoVVman 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2004 at 9:00 PM / IP Logged  

tcool's post raises an interesting question.  Some vehicles require more current to move the windows than others, some motors draw more current than others.  As vehicles age, the windows tend to stick more, thus requiring more current.

If the window module has no "normal load" adjustment, how does it know when there is an obstruction or when the window has reached the top/bottom?

I remember, in another vehicle, with an old Clifford "Smart Window" module and the one touch up/down feature: when the vehicle is moving and the one-touch is engaged, when I hit a bump the window will stop mid travel.  The bump translates to more load on the motor, causing the one-touch to be cancelled.

The Navigator/Expedition/F-150s have large windows.  The OE wires from the switch to the motor is very large.  They look like at least 14 ga. wires.  I am sure that they draw more current than those from a Hyundai.

On the other hand, the wires that are on the window module look like 16 or 18 ga.  This is a module I picked up from "asianwolf.com" (please, go easy on your comments), it is a "smart" module that will open the windows a bit to vent when the cabin reaches 110 degrees.  The module will close the windows again when it cools.

I ask because, with all this work, I don't want to find myself with an inconsistent window up/down performance.  Using the same example, I am sure that the module would work fine for a Hyundai.  But what about my 'Gator?

Comments?

Thanks,

JAMES.

snoVVman 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2004 at 9:08 PM / IP Logged  

By the way, I have to say that this is a great forum.  I frequent many forms related to my cars, work, and interests.  As I am sure you all know, there are lots of @$$holes out there and help is hard to come by at times.

Here, I see a great group of people and helpful responses with good attatudes.  Many thanks to those who take the time to help me.

Kudos!

JAMES.

P.S. Now--about what I wrote above...

JWorm 
Platinum - Posts: 2,208
Platinum spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2004 at 12:28 AM / IP Logged  
You're probably screwed if you bought a cheapo module with 16 gauge wires. Get a 530T and do it just once. Otherwise you will be redoing it in the future when your windows only go up part way.
robbie2883 
Copper - Posts: 104
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2004 at 6:57 AM / IP Logged  

osokrayzay wrote:
not hijacking thread in simliar situation tho . I am able to remove the boot, but it has a plastic clip with wires so i cant pass any wires trough, any suggestion.
Dodge Ram 1500 regualr cab

if there is enough room in the clip then you need to drill new holes for the wire to go through....it's the same way on most hondas

if its jammed force it - if it breaks in the process it needed to be fixed anyway
Running wires from kick panel to door? - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic