icon

Advice on a new CD/MP3 head unit

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
lonewolf 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2004 at 7:29 AM / IP Logged  

Well, I'm giving up on the Kenwood KDC-MP822 head unit I purchased 30 days ago.  While the features and display were perfect, the condensation issues even at moderate temperatures make this unit one to avoid, assuming I didn't get a defective one (I doubt it, it works perfectly once conditions are warm enough).

What I need now is a replacement CD/MP3 head unit, and I'd like some suggestions.  Reliability, and good quality sound are the important things, followed by easy to use controls while driving, and a clearly readable display (one that looks good is a plus, but secondary to the rest).  I'm looking in the $200-300 range, for something that fits single DIN dash openings (I have a `94 Acura Integra GS-R).  Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

--1994 Acura Integra GS-R, 152k miles, still goin' strong.
kiteman 
Copper - Posts: 98
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2004 at 9:25 AM / IP Logged  
     What about the Pioneer DEH-P550MP  or the Sony CDX-R3300/MP
lonewolf 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2004 at 9:46 AM / IP Logged  

Spec-wise, I've looked at the following possibilities so far:

Alpine CDA-9830

Pioneer DEH-P7600MP

Sony CDX-F7700

The Pioneer model you mention above seem a little hard to find, as if they might be on their way to being discontinued.  The Sony is fairly available, but I have some concerns about Sony (see below) though I'm willing to look past them if I know they're taken care of.

If I was sure I wouldn't have the same problem that I am with my current model, I'd also look seriously at the Kenwood KDC-MP825 (or I'd exchange the KDC-MP822 deck if I thought it was an isolated issue).  I heard some things about early Sony MP3 decks clipping the first two seconds off of every MP3 track; I'm not sure they fixed that (people who bought them had to add 2 seconds of silence to every track they owned).  Some people here probably do this for a living and have an idea of what lasts the longest and does the job well, so feel free to point out any problems with the models I've listed, or make suggestions yourself.

kiteman 
Copper - Posts: 98
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2004 at 9:55 AM / IP Logged  
      I have not heard anything on the sony problem,  The pioneer unit was in the premiere line.   I really like the DEH-P850MP but, It's about $100.00 more than you want to spend, but it's a great unit ( also in the premiere line)
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2004 at 1:02 PM / IP Logged  
Eclipse should be added to your list to consider.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
razorbacx 
Copper - Posts: 91
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2004 at 1:17 PM / IP Logged  

I personnally own the Pioneer Premier DEH-P550MP and I love it! Excellent sound and control, display is out of this world and this deck has outstanding versatility with 3 pairs of RCA's (1 pair dedicated for a sub). It takes about 10 seconds for an MP3 CD to load, but there is hardly a pause between tracks. I paid less than $200.00 for it at IKE SOUND ( www.ikesound.com). I have never had a problem with it and Pioneer corrected the clipping or chirping problem that several other HU's were having with this particular model. I did my research on this one before I purchased it, so I believe that if you can find one you'll be more than happy with it.

Regards,

Razorbacx

lonewolf 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2004 at 5:36 PM / IP Logged  

The DEH-P550MP apparently has been discontinued.  I have not found it listed on the sites people have bought it from.

As for Eclipse, we have one dealer in town.  The only deck I could afford that I'd consider is the 3434, but it does annoy me that the deck only scrolls the title once.  That's less annoying however, than the fact that the deck I own is the one I like, it just has one fatal flaw (not playing discs when it's cold, but working perfectly in every other way at every other time). 

I checked out the Sony today, it was pretty good, but the mute is only on the remote, which I find annoying.  The Alpine I listed plays well, but they leave almost no room on the display to even show the song title.  Nobody I went to carried the Pioneer 7600. Arg...guess I have some more work to do, though right now I'm just tempted to try one exchange of the Kenwood to see if a new one will fix the problem (even as I worry it won't).  Thanks everyone for providing valuable advice.

customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2004 at 5:38 PM / IP Logged  
I agree on forbidden. Alpine would be my second choice, then pioneer,......................., kenwood, and finally sony. Advice on a new CD/MP3 head unit -- posted image.
pureRF 
Silver - Posts: 619
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2004 at 7:44 PM / IP Logged  
Look at eclipse. I have a panasonic though and love it.
dream it, build it, fiberglass it
icu400 
Copper - Posts: 123
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2004 at 8:16 PM / IP Logged  
what about this deck:
Kenwood KDC-MPV5025
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic