icon

Dimming

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hot_shot_guy123 
Copper - Posts: 114
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2004 at 2:15 PM / IP Logged  
I have a 2002 dodge neon RT. I installed my stereo and now I am having slight dimming of my headlights when the bass hits. If I added more grounds to my car would that help? Such as another one from the battery to the chassis? Fill me in please.
chasesaccessori 
Copper - Posts: 198
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2004 at 2:20 PM / IP Logged  
Just an old problem you need to solve. You are using more power than your little alternator can give you. You either need to install a cap on your system, get a heavy duty battery, and a bigger alternator. I personally would do all of the above.
(owner/installer)
Chase's Accessories
Ridgecrest, CA
in business since 92
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2004 at 7:44 PM / IP Logged  
Beg to differ, there are very very few circumstances that warrant use of a cap, matter of fact I can only think of one in the last year that needed it or infact warranted it. Electricity is an algebra equation, what you do to one side you must do to the other. If you have all these monster power lines being used and have small ground returns, then that is the first place you should start. Upgrade all ground wires from battery to chassis, battery to alternator or engine block etc. Sometimes a power wire upgrade from alternator to battery helps as well. If this does not improve things, a high output alternator is in your future. Why no cap, because a cap does not make power, it uses and stores power.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
eclipse8053 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2004 at 12:25 PM / IP Logged  
i agree with rob to an extent...do upgrade all stock electrical system wiring, thats always a good idea. The cap does store and use power, however it may (i stress the word may) stop your headlights from dimming. I would suggest a deep cycle dry (gel) cell battery, the stinger spv44 is a great battery and i bet you could find it for about $149.95 at a local shop. Thats not much more than a 1 farad cap anyway...try that first....
We Can Plant A House, We Could Build A Tree...
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2004 at 1:00 PM / IP Logged  
Alternator.  Alternator.  Alternator.  Cap and battery will not help with lack of available current capacity with a running engine.  Caps only help amplifiers sustain maximum output ASSUMNG enough reserve ampacity is available from the alternator to recharge them.  Batteries, same thing.  Batteries are critical if running the system with the engine off and for starting the car.  Get a high-output alternator and follow Rob's advice on system wiring upgrades.
Support the12volt.com

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic