icon

sequential turn signals

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Beulah Fatback 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2004 at 10:17 PM / IP Logged  

sequential turn signals - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.

Parts:

R1______________1K5 1/4W Resistor

R2____________680R 1/4W Resistor (Optional, see text)

C1_____________47µF 25V Electrolytic Capacitor

D1_____________LED any type

Q1___________BC337 45V 800mA NPN Transistor

P1_____________SPST Pushbutton

LP1____________Filament Lamp 12 or 24V

I found this schematic on the net.  I was going to use it, but it just flashes each lamp once.  I went as far as to go buy the parts to do it with and then realized it wouldn't work the way I want it to.  Would it work if I used cascading caps?

I was thinking of using the turn signal wire to start the chain.

Mad Scientists 
Silver - Posts: 380
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2004 at 8:36 PM / IP Logged  

The transistors might not be able to handle the current requirements of some filament lamps used in automotive applications..

Some thoughts.. depending on how your tail-lights are set up, stepping on the brake might have your brake lights sequencing.. is this something you want also?.. You can use the third brakelight to stop the brake lights from sequencing when you're stepping on the brakes.

There are better circuits out there.. look into semiconductor circuits, not R/C.

regards,

Jim

p71-cruiser 
Member - Posts: 47
Member spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2004 at 1:09 AM / IP Logged  
I don't know they get around the brake light but maybe you shold try this one here http://www.webelectricproducts.com/products.htm
I think it's $40.00 dollars but it might be worth it
I had good luck with their prouducts I bought the dome light dimmer works great.
Also on that link is a lot of faq's so maybe you can find out how he gets aroud the brake lights.
Beulah Fatback 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2004 at 5:00 PM / IP Logged  

xetems

Hey,

Can you design a circuit for me that sequences the three lamps for signals.  Don't worry about the brakes, I'll figure that one out.  I would like for it to use redily available parts, say from Radio Sux, Srr shack.  I don't care if it uses a 555 or any combination of the 55? series.

Thank you for all the help and posts earlier.  And thanks in advance for the help now.

BTW, why would you use a timing IC when the caps do all the timing?  I'm new to electronics, I wire houses and buildings for a living, but have never really messed with electronics.

Thanks again.

-Beulah Fatback

Beulah Fatback 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 17, 2004 at 4:47 PM / IP Logged  

This is not limited to extems only.  Anyone feel free to chime in.  I just copied and pasted from a PM I tried to send him and he had too many.  Thanks all.

-Beulah Fatback

xetmes 
Silver - Posts: 586
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 17, 2004 at 5:54 PM / IP Logged  

ohh sorry I missed this, forgot to delete some of them PMs sequential turn signals - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.

He says to look at semiconductor circuits because for repetitive flashing it will be much more reliable, and the time constants will be kind of large...

I dont really have the time to design anything currently, but if I was going to design this with all discrete components I would probably go with a 555 driving a johnson (decade) type counter (like a 4017) , and some output transistors, probably mosfets to directly wire the lights to. I will try to get some time to design something. Although if I had my way it would be microprocessor based sequential turn signals - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.

Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic