icon

Spot for 0-gauge

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Thedfndent 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2004 at 10:15 AM / IP Logged  

I'm getting ready to install a bunch of equipment into my "93 Honda Accord and I can forsee a problem already.  I'll be installin a 1000W RMS PPI, so I'm running 0-gauge power wire back to the trunk.  I'm also gonna be running a 0-gauge ground wire from the battery straight back to the amp.  My question is where in the hell do you run two 0-gauge wires in a freakin Honda?

2 12" L7's
PPI PCX-1500
4 6.5" Pioneer 4-way's
Kenwood KAC-6401
Lanzar Opti-Drive Cap
Sony CDX-F7700 Headunit
framedragger 
Copper - Posts: 105
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2004 at 10:18 AM / IP Logged  
make it look like some side markers on your door.....the ricers will dig it! PLAYIN HA, try running it through the hood and fender corner where the door and window meet it, down behind you dash under the center and rear console, and up under the seat
thapimpfromchi 
Silver - Posts: 616
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2004 at 12:53 PM / IP Logged  
easy, do what i did in my saturn. make a day where you have absolutely nothing to do. start real nice and early. Get out all the tools, and a drill and a really big bit. Remove all the interior  of ur car, drill a hole in the fire wall, run the wire, re-install the interior. then, ground the amp to the chassis AS CLOSE AS YOU CAN, do NOT run the ground alllll the way back to the battery. you want to keep the ground as short as possible.
1990 Honda Civic HB:
Clarion DXZ545MP H.U.
2- 6.5" Power Acoustik interiors
Diamond Audio 600.1 amp
Diamond Audio 15" M6MKII
Pyramid PB881X 4 CH. Amp
bryceyaworsky 
Copper - Posts: 152
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2004 at 12:55 PM / IP Logged  

Did you already buy the wire?  If you use flat 1/0 you won't have the problem of where to run it.  I ran flat 1/0 down the side of my car with no problems since it was more like 4awg.

Now it's time for my shameless plug

http://www.knukonceptz.com

My last big install wire came from these guys and it was great.  I'll never use anyone else again.

dudek38 
Copper - Posts: 250
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2004 at 7:39 PM / IP Logged  
go through the pass side fender well and underneath the chassis tucked up and away as good as u can and then through the trunk avoiding the tank. use grommets or alot of electrical tape to protect the wire from shorting on the jagged edges of the holes you drill.
owner of
Motion Marine & Car Audio
the florida keys
Ketel22 
Silver - Posts: 976
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2004 at 1:14 AM / IP Logged  
if all your running is the 1000wrms  amp you shouldn't really need the 0ga. the largest you should really need is 2ga. most setups only need a 4ga wire tho. just advise if you havent already bought the wire. its saves money and easier to install.
Quad L Handyman services
kickerstang 
Copper - Posts: 180
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2004 at 6:25 AM / IP Logged  
why are you running your ground from your battery? that's to long of a ground run and your running a really big risk for ground noise.  a ground run should usually be no longer than 2 feet depending on wire size.  find a good ground somewhere around your amp. plus it'll save you some money seeing as o gauge is around $2-$4 a foot.
what!?!?! you want some??
Thedfndent 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2004 at 8:20 AM / IP Logged  

To answer all your guy's questions:

I've ran wires for systems before, so I know all the nooks and crannyies in interiors.  But Pimpfromchi, my concern is that 0-gauge is gonna leave a pretty nice size lump under my carpet you know.  The PPI takes 4-gauge alone, so I know I have to run at least 2-gauge, but the theme for this system is pretty much that I'm overdoing everything just for the hell of it.  I don't really need 2 L7's or 1000-watts either, my trunk (or the rest of my car for that matter) are gonna rattle to pieces. It's kinda just something for me to do for now, see just how good I can get it soundin.

As for runnin the ground to the battery: I read to do that somewhere but I forget where.  Everybody tells me not to do that so I won't. I either read it in the amp's manual or Crutchfield.

2 12" L7's
PPI PCX-1500
4 6.5" Pioneer 4-way's
Kenwood KAC-6401
Lanzar Opti-Drive Cap
Sony CDX-F7700 Headunit
Ketel22 
Silver - Posts: 976
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2004 at 12:11 PM / IP Logged  
you can run it back to your battery, some systems need to do that to keep the ground resistance lower because the frame doesnt conduct well... its just a more expensive alternative. nothing really wrong with it as long as you use sufficent ga wire
Quad L Handyman services
Chad7n7 
Silver - Posts: 408
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2004 at 1:56 AM / IP Logged  
I haven't had any experiences with that flat 1/0, but have noticed that it is getting more popular, and in your application, seems would be the way to go, if in fact you haven't bought the wire, and for the ground, the shorter the better, just make sure you remove the paint and ground to a bare metal surface, in your application, as you have posted, there is no need to run to battery on ground.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic