the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Distortion?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 28, 2004 at 10:46 PM / IP Logged  

Ravendarat wrote:
Steven you arent quite right but very close. If your amp is rated for 200 watts and your sub is rated for 400 so you decide to just crank your gains up then your amp could be clipping and if it is its gonna cause a great deal of distortion and create enough heat to blow the sub. So to little power combined with stupidity will also do it.

I can assure you that too little power will not blow your subs.  If that were true then your speakers would blow every time you turned down the volume, or the music got quieter. 

I used to run a Soundstream Reference 500 on my sub.  My sub was in a .36 cubic foot sealed enclosure, and is rated at 1600 watts rms, 4800 peak.  Each voice coil was hooked up to a channel of the amp.  I still to this day don't know how it happened, but I noticed that one of the channel's gains was up all the way, while the other was set correctly.  Now there definitely was distortion (that's why I checked) but my sub didn't blow.  Distortion doesn't blow subs, too much power does.  If the power level is lower than the sub can handle, then it won't blow.  And that is true no matter how much distortion is being played.

I understand what you are trying to say, but I think your wording is a little off.  Sure the amplifier is rated lower than the sub, but it still blows it.  But that is because the clipped signal generates more power than the sub can handle.  So it isn't too little power, but too much power.  Your comment must be based on the  outcome, not the rating. 

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

Steven Kephart 
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 28, 2004 at 11:02 PM / IP Logged  

forbidden wrote:
I'd be careful dude, Steven is very very well versed in alot of aspects of car audio, he knows his stuff. He does not post here often but when he does you should definitely read what he writes. I have learned a couple things from him and I would think that he has from me as well. You have to read between the lines in his post but I tend to agree with him, you can clip a signal and feed it to a speaker, if the speaker is designed to dissipate the excess heat buildup it could in fact hang in there all day long being fed a fully clipped signal. Not straight dc of course. Now most speakers are not built to handle this kind of torture. Heat is the number one killer of speakers, it is a natural byproduct of producing power. Clipping  = more power = more heat. Constant use = more heat. With the scenario you posted above I will agree with you if it assumed that a basic sub is used. If it is something that Steven hinted at, well that's a whole different ball game.

Wow, thanks for the compliment Forbidden.  I really appreciate it.  And yes, I have learned a lot from you as well.  Your extensive experience and knowledge from installing for so long is a very valuable asset to this forum.  You have been missed at Car Audio Talk.

I do want to add that my comments are for basic subs too, and any speaker for that matter.  If you have a blown speaker, then you applied too much power.  It is as simple as that.

Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2004 at 1:26 AM / IP Logged  

OK fair enough. Mabye my wording wasnt very clear. I may have missed what you were saying as well. All I was saying is that an amplifier that is rated much lower than the sub and placed in the wrong hands could blow a speaker just as easy as a amp with too much power. All I was trying to say is that if someone is trying to use a small amp and compensate by cranking the gain to the point of clipping it will blow the sub. If you back track that problem it comes down the the amp not being big enough and a customer who isnt properly informed.

PS. I wasnt trying to imply that you didnt know what you were talking about or disrespect you in any way. I just thought it was a point that was missed. Sorry for the confusion

double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
Steven Kephart 
Posted: April 29, 2004 at 1:56 AM / IP Logged  

No problem at all.  I actually hear your argument quite a bit.  Basically you were looking at it from a different perspective.  You are correct that a lower rated amp could in fact destroy a subwoofer with a higher power rating.  But putting it as "too little power can hurt a driver" is misleading to others that don't understand.  They see that and start posting it everywhere.  What they don't understand is that in the scenario, it wasn't too little power that did the damage.  It was a misused amp.  Because of that confusion, I like to set things strait when I hear that phrase.  Too much power killed the sub.  The ratings have nothing to do with it, so they shouldn't be commented on.

Maybe that would be a good argument for max ratings on amplifiers.  If people matched that to their drivers, then we would probably see fewer blown subs.  Distortion? - Page 3 -- posted image.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

doc t 
Copper - Posts: 169
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2004 at 5:46 AM / IP Logged  
Got to listen to it this morning driving to work and the sq is definatly more clear, still pounds! my subs are rated @ 150wrms and the amp puts out 500wrms. the thing that i did wrong was I got the remote bass control confused and actually thought it was a remote gain. sooooo not the case. with reguards to the coaxials, the 3.5 mid/tweets that i have are not rated @ 65 wats but more closer to 10-20, american legacy, had them lying around my garage and wanted to add more sound, play with fiber glass, and build something. now to balance the car out a little need to add to the rear channel. I kinda want to stay with a 3.5 mid tweet vise something like the mtx t6000 tweeters, they are nice, but no mids with them. fiber glassing is fun, messy!, but fun.  
PimpVan 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: May 06, 2004 at 9:37 PM / IP Logged  
I feel that it is better to have it mixed.I feel that it is good to have the gain at half and the head unit at half.That way your not hurting one more than the other and your keeping them at safe volumes.But always remember if you like the sound turn it UP.IF you dont like the sound....... than do something about it!!! Just make sure you keep the Kickers LIVIN' LOUD.It runs in the famliy.Distortion? - Page 3 -- posted image.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2004 at 1:31 PM / IP Logged  

W

T

F

R

U

talking about Willis? Turn what up, the volume or the gain? If you want to turn the volume up then you had better be bang oon with that gain setting or your trusty old Livin' Loud is going to be Livin'SixTeetUnder.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Page of 3

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic