Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
toyota_4runner 
Copper - Posts: 60
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2004 at 12:00 PM / IP Logged  
Hello, I am planning on buying a 5 channel amp which will power the following:
FOUR speakers with 50 RMS power handling
TWO 8 inch 8 ohms subs wired into 4ohm with 150 RMS power handling.
WHich amplifier would u guys suggest? Also I am still confused if I should go for seperate amps ( one 4 channel for speakers and one for the subs) or one 5 channel. Which makes the system better? and which system is more economical? You can see that I am not goign any higher than 50rms on the speakers so I really dont need a very loud system. Thanks in advance!
Thedfndent 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2004 at 12:05 PM / IP Logged  
I would definitely go with two different amps.  This way you can take the bass out of your interior speakers, and the highs out of your subs using the crossovers that are built into most amps.  The kenwood that I have is a nice quality economical amp I think (model # listed below).  It puts out 35W RMS x 4 at 4-ohms.  It runs around $150.
2 12" L7's
PPI PCX-1500
4 6.5" Pioneer 4-way's
Kenwood KAC-6401
Lanzar Opti-Drive Cap
Sony CDX-F7700 Headunit
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2004 at 12:14 PM / IP Logged  

This is a good amp for the money and should work fine for you

http:///.com/dll?ViewItem&category=39742&item=3093493422&rd=1

double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
Keefer 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2004 at 12:16 PM / IP Logged  
If you get the right amp, it can be fine using 5 channel, and it just so happens that I know the one you should get. It is the Hifonics ZX 8000, it will run you about $250 right now at this site.
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?Productid=13118
Keefe
toyota_4runner 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2004 at 12:22 PM / IP Logged  
I understand what u say Defndant, but wouldn't the 5 channel ap have inbuilt crossovers to seperate the low and high frequencies?
Thedfndent 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2004 at 12:33 PM / IP Logged  

Some do, but this is my gripe with things like that:  The more components you try to fit into a limited amount of space, the less efficient they're gonna be.  Like if you really wanted a competition quality sound, you wouldn't even want to use the built-in cross-over on your amp.  You'd get more sound quality out of an external x-over.

With these 5-channel amps your talkin about a high pass a low pass and five channels worth of electronics shoved into less that one square foot.  Obviously it's gonna be usin just the bare minimums to get the job done. 

2 12" L7's
PPI PCX-1500
4 6.5" Pioneer 4-way's
Kenwood KAC-6401
Lanzar Opti-Drive Cap
Sony CDX-F7700 Headunit
Thedfndent 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2004 at 12:36 PM / IP Logged  
They are economical though, as long as you keep in mind that you're only gonna get what you pay for.
2 12" L7's
PPI PCX-1500
4 6.5" Pioneer 4-way's
Kenwood KAC-6401
Lanzar Opti-Drive Cap
Sony CDX-F7700 Headunit
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2004 at 1:21 PM / IP Logged  
If you look at a decent 5 channel amp than the Chassis of the amp is increased in size to accomidate the extra components. Also one reason why I suggested the MTX amp is because the sub section is 100% independant from the 4 channel section. Also since the mono channel is using adaptive class D as opposed to a normal class D section you wont get any cross talk through the air.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2004 at 5:31 PM / IP Logged  
I would head in the direction of a good 5 channel amp as well, another shameless plug for the Eclipse ea3532  (40w x 4 + 120w x 1) or the even better pa5532 (50w x4 + 200w x1). The latter is one of my favorite 5 channel amplifiers that I used to use myslelf and can vouch personally for it's capabilities and limitations. It would suit you just fine. Another good one is the Crossfire VR705D howver it is not the best match to your system (overkill on the sub channel).
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
toyota_4runner 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2004 at 7:46 PM / IP Logged  
forbidden, my (2) subs are 150 RMS, wouldn't the PA5532 damage the subs since it is 200W X1? or I can make any adjustments so that the subs get lower power than maximum? As I said earlier, my 8 inch subs are 8 ohms and I ll be connecting them in parallel to get 4 ohms.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic