the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Sub and Amp?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2004 at 5:04 PM / IP Logged  

The larger you go on a sub, the larger the amp, the larger the box is a good general rule of thumb. If you only have the stock infinity system, you do not want to have bass overkill. You may want to consider two of the subs, in the 8 ohm version and the Strike amp, model # S2.600.2. Two subs tend to smooth out the bass response. It takes the strain off of the one sub to hit all the lows and give good loud volumes as well. Two subs also are going to play louder and deeper. More power will also allow it to play louder, you could also go the route of dual 12" for louder and deeper yet. There is really no end to it. If you purchae locally from a good shop, make a deal with them to change the amp if you need more power or to add a second sub if it is not quite enough. This is where the local dealer will be able to help you more than any other.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
djMINIoompa 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2004 at 8:58 PM / IP Logged  
First, i would like to say that Robs sarcasim and harsh advice is awesome. You should have you own website. i love reading you posts man, and the subs he recommened would work perfect for your application.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 03, 2004 at 9:31 PM / IP Logged  

djMINIoompa wrote:
First, i would like to say that Robs sarcasim and harsh advice is awesome.

I'm going to add this to my list of memorable quotes...

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2004 at 11:14 PM / IP Logged  
Why do you say two subs will play deeper than one sub. To me that makes no sense. I understand that 2 subs will play louder but them playing deeper doesnt fly with me. If you take that sub and put it in a 1 cubic foot box, or if you take two of those subs and put them each in their own 1 cubic foot box or a box that is chambered with 1 cube per chamber should the subs not have the exact same frequency response and have the same play range, provided they are both being provided with the same amount of power. I could be wrong but like I said it doesnt make any sense to me.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
forbidden 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2004 at 12:35 PM / IP Logged  

With two subs there is also an effect known as mutual coupling, another reason as to why people place subs in close proximity to each other. Not only does it play louder, but two drivers working together have a different effect on response. You are correct with the assumption that they can both play the same deep frequencies, however two drivers playing the same frequencies are now reinforcing each other for the full range of frequencies being played. Two drivers operating at the same frequency no doubt have more output and hence will play (lack of proper words) the same low frequencies, they will just be played with more authority, thus the perception of deeper bass. I should have written that a little different, sorry for the confusion.

Mrhunter 
Copper - Posts: 86
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2004 at 1:01 PM / IP Logged  
Im not going to be running the stock system in there. I have a head unit on the way.
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2004 at 1:34 PM / IP Logged  
That makes more sense to me now
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
bbusbee 
Member - Posts: 39
Member spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2004 at 4:27 PM / IP Logged  

I am still fairly new to this forum but I'm going to put in my 2 cents.  I wanted the same thing you did, nice clean and crisp sound with hard hitting tight bass when you want it.  I also am on a budget like most of us and also don't want to rattle the body off the frames of most cars around me, including mine.  I choose the Infinity Perfect 10.1 sub and the Blaupunkt PA2100 amp.  The sub can handle 350 wrms and the Blaupunkt amp can produce 300 wrms bridged.  The amp is pretty compact and does not get as hot as the older designs.  If you choose this sub make sure you purchase the Perfect 10.1.  Infinity makes several different versions of the 10" sub but only a few that can handle 350 wrms.   

I will probably catch some flak from some of the guys on this forum for recommending the Blaupunkt but from my experience it worked very well.  Good luck.   

forbidden 
Posted: May 04, 2004 at 4:31 PM / IP Logged  
Nothing wrong with Kerplunkt, you just have to know the line and for that matter any other brands strengths and weaknesses. I sold the line for years and would have this year if it would not have been for an oversight from the rep.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 04, 2004 at 4:37 PM / IP Logged  
A recommendation based on user experience is always alright by me.  :)
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic