icon

2001 tahoe stereo

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
pilyo143 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2004 at 9:31 PM / IP Logged  

I have a 01 tahoe with a factory amp running the speakers. I have replace the head unit with  pioneer 6500dvd and I'm wondering if replacing the front and maybe rear with kicker k series 6 1/2 or polk db will make a difference? The stock speakersth are 4 ohms.

Also what would you guys recommend for  amp, i'm thinking of running two kicker l7 or one 15. Which configuration do you guys like better. Is there any difference between last year models and this year. Is the only difference between the L7 and L5 is the power that it can take ? I'm setting my budget between 500 to 700. I'm thinking of getting my stuff on fleebay or online.  Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

lensam69 
Copper - Posts: 63
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2004 at 9:25 AM / IP Logged  
Usually replacing stock speakers makes quite a difference, unless you already have some good stocks to start with.  For example Mercedes-benz use Bose speakers as their "stock".   What's the trim on your tahoe? Is it the base model, or one of the more expensive ones?  How many stock speakers does it have?
forbidden wrote:
Wrong advice young grasshopper, go back to square one and do not pass go.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2004 at 1:48 PM / IP Logged  
ahhhh, forbidden says.... are you after a good sounding stereo or a one note wonder?
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
HumbleI 
Copper - Posts: 103
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2004 at 8:25 AM / IP Logged  
lol why do you always refer to yourself in third person?? jw
Love-peace-guidance
word-SOUND&power
sonicsound 
Copper - Posts: 100
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2004 at 1:21 PM / IP Logged  
Definately upgrade the stock speakers especially since you've got the DVD player and you'll be watching movies.  If one of your speakers sounds bad or for that matter all four, the car theater experience will not be so enjoyable.  Otherwise I don't know much about Kicker so hopefully someone else could answer those questions for ya.
Sonic
Pioneer AVH-P4000DVD
Zapco 360.4
Zapco 500.1
Zapco SP-4SL Processor
Two JL 10 W3v3d2
Alumapro 15 Farad Cap
Thedfndent 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2004 at 1:52 PM / IP Logged  

I'm not quite sure about all the technical number junk, but in addition to handling more watts, I think the L7's have a longer excursion.  Longer excursion = more displacement (air movement) = more bass.

As far as your budget - BEWARE.  I recently got 2 12" L7's and let me tell you, they definitley are an investment.  Be prepared to go big in order to get their full potential out of them.  You'll need a huge amp, huge wiring kit, upgraded alternator, lots of dampening product, two boxes, etc.  I've spent $2,000 already and I still need to buy some nickle-and-dime sh*t.  I'll tell you though, they're worth every single penny.

2 12" L7's
PPI PCX-1500
4 6.5" Pioneer 4-way's
Kenwood KAC-6401
Lanzar Opti-Drive Cap
Sony CDX-F7700 Headunit

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic