icon

Dual ported box for 2 15 Kicker CVR's

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Xgen.m@$t3r 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2004 at 9:29 AM / IP Logged  

I need some help on deciding what kind of box to make for 2 15" Kicker CVR's 2003.

I was thinking about making a sealed enclosure for them, but think a ported would sound better.   Anyone got ideas?

eurotech 
Member - Posts: 44
Member spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2004 at 1:33 PM / IP Logged  
It depends on what you listen to, what kind of car its going in, how much power you are running to them, etc.  judging by the woofers you've selected I am going to imagine that you want a lot of bass.  A ported box will give you more bass, if you dont mind the port noise.  If it is going into your trunk...you probably wont notice it.  a sealed box will give you more accurate, tight sounding bass.  But 15's are pretty sloppy anyways.  So I would probably reccomend ported
southside 
Copper - Posts: 220
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2004 at 3:38 PM / IP Logged  
also the way i look at it. if u go ported u won't beable to put that much power to the subs. but if u go sealed u can get a lot more power to the subs. so i would go with sealed. it sounds better imo an can throw more power to them wich will equal a lot more bass. an sound quality.
southsider
Xgen.m@$t3r 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2004 at 10:01 PM / IP Logged  

They are going in a 1986 Jeep Cherokee, I know someone that has 2 15" Kicker comps 500 watts each, he has a sealed box (Pretty big box in his truck) and that stuff pounds. He has a Kohler 1200 watt amp hooked up to them. I'm going to have 2 400 watt Jensens hooked up to each one of my subs on each coil. I would buy his box, but its most likely to big to fit in my jeep.

djMINIoompa 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2004 at 8:20 PM / IP Logged  
Go with sealed. Ported boxes work best in trunks where the sound can bounce off the trunk lid and sides, hence why people have to dynamat the trunk. In the jeep, there is nothing to reflect against. It will hit the back hatch and disperse into the car. Thats not letting your subs work up to their potential. The sealed will contain the air movement. Also it will hit harder and cleaner. The ported boxes, in some cases, may sound louder, but i find they also hit sloppier and dont sound as clean. Find a sealed box.
Xgen.m@$t3r 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2004 at 9:14 AM / IP Logged  

Ok, I am thinking about going ahead and getting a box for 3 15" 

A Kicker CVR and 2 kicker comps

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2004 at 9:28 AM / IP Logged  

Xgen.m@$t3r wrote:
I'm going to have 2 400 watt Jensens hooked up to each one of my subs on each coil.

Yikes.  Two issues here.  First, Jensen amps are pure crap and the 400 watts they advertise is more like 60 watts of true clean power.  Second, it is a VERY BAD idea to connect seperate amps to each voice coil of a DVC woofer.  Unless you really know how to set them up properly, including adjusting internal transistor biases and soldering in new power resisters inside the amp, don't do it.  This is a technique best left to SPL competition guys who don't mind buying new woofers after they blow out their 158bd for 30 seconds and fry the voice coils and look at each other and say "Whoa, dude, that was friggin loud!"

There are no two amps in the world that are exactly the same, and this is what is required to safely run seperate amps to each voice coil.  They must send EXACTLY the same signal at exactly the same time or you will eventually fry one or both windings.  No amplifier does this well, and cheap amps like Jensen are about the worst possible choice to try this.  Don't do it, spend your money on better, bigger amps if you want high power.  Unless of course you don't mind running for a few months then buying new speakers.  It's up to you.

Support the12volt.com
flatulatta 
Silver - Posts: 356
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2004 at 9:46 AM / IP Logged  
i completely agree ^^^^ dont do that....looks like ur tryin 2 get 800w per sub....sell those jensens on ebay or something and buy you some better amps.... y spend that kinda money on subs if ur just gonna give em crap for power.... sell the 15s buy some cvr 12s and get a jbl 1200.1 ull prob end up saving money and be happy with spl and sq
Xgen.m@$t3r 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2004 at 10:39 AM / IP Logged  
I've already hooked 1 of my Jensen LXA300 watt amp to 1 15" kicker comp and it sounds great, It dont have the wattage as a kicker amp, but it made them hit.
Xgen.m@$t3r 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2004 at 10:42 AM / IP Logged  

I had those 2 amps hooked up to 2 10" polk audio subs in a bandpass box and they were hitting hard Lyke Woh.

That was my old system though, but I still have them.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic