APS996a install in an '03 F150

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Cptbrainiac 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2004 at 3:54 PM / IP Logged  
Ahh, my first post?
I've been reading through all the different posts and was able to glean a ton of useful information.  That being said, I still have a couple of questions.
I'm going to be installing an Audiovox APS996a remote start alarm this weekend in my '03 F150 supercrew.
My disclaimer is that I have NEVER done anything like this before in a car.  I'm great with computers and I'm great with technology, but a car's electrical system is all new to me.
My first question is in regards to where to place the brain.  I've heard of putting it behind the black rubber/plastic piece that's below the stereo/ac controls/etc.  I've also heard that the "tray" on the dash (passenger side behind the airbag) can be popped out and the brain placed under there.  I was actually considering mounting the brain and the motion sensor under the black liftout tray in the center console.
Yes, I know that if someone knew it was there, they could get to it super easy. My question is, how common is this and would someone even look there?  I feel that with the motion sensor, and the door open sensor (not tied to the dome light, but something else that senses the door opening), that the alarm's either going to be going off by the time they get to this location or it's not.  If the alarm's going off, I've been paged and I'll come running.  If the alarm's not going off, the whole point is moot.  Thoughts?
Second question is where to tie power into.  I've heard run it straight to the battery.  I've also heard that this is too easy for them to find and disconnect (even though I bought the battery back up for the alarm as well as a battery back up siren and an electronic hood lock) and that I should tie into the power wire under the dash.  Thoughts?
Third, does anyone know if I can tie the keypad operation on the driver's side door into the 996a?
Finally, is there any issue with extending the length of the cables with something like a butt connector?  I know you're not supposed to do it with the power cable for amps, but is there a problem with signal/power cables that are part of an alarm?
Thanks in advance for the help!!
--Bill
Bill
Autoobsession 
Copper - Posts: 119
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2004 at 6:02 PM / IP Logged  

When a theif breaks into your car and the alarm goes off they listen for where the clicking is coming from to find the brain. Just put it in the best place you can find and make sure it doesnt get in the way of any moving parts.

To trigger the doors you pretty much have to use the domelight wire. You can also put individual pin switches but that will make no sense. If you are going to hook up the tailgate then you will probably have to hook up a pinswitch back there.

I would just get all my power from the ignition harness coming out of the key. If you wire it nice and neat and harness your wires well it should be ok. Just try to hide them as best you can.

I have never tried or think there is a way to make the keypad on the door operate the alarm system.

There is no problem with using butt connectors to extend wires when installing this.

Good luck!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic