the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

2nd time blowing these 6x9's

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2004 at 8:30 AM / IP Logged  

Judging from the description you just posted, you are blowing the speakers because you do not have the gain set properly and you are overdriving the amp, probably clipping like crazy, and burning the voice coils because you are sending DC to the speakers.  You should NEVER use amplifier gain as a volume control!  It is designed to be set ONCE to match the input voltage characteristics and then left alone.  It sounds to me like you simply are mis-using the system.  If you do not understand how to set amplifier gain, please click "SEARCH" at the top of this page and do a search for "Setting Gain."  There have been at least 50 threads on this forum that describe how to do it correctly.

Otherwise, you'll keep blowing those Quarts.

Support the12volt.com
xTimx 
Copper - Posts: 354
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2004 at 8:41 AM / IP Logged  
well i know not to tamper with the gain after its set. i'm not that stupid lol but ya thanx anyways..i'll look that up
xTimx
lensam69 
Copper - Posts: 63
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2004 at 11:13 AM / IP Logged  

xTimx wrote:
when i tweak the system out i disconnect the RCA's that are running the rears and subs and leave the fronts on, turn up my HU till about half (25) but since i dont want a heavy load on the amp i turn the HU up to 30 then

Since you're doing that, maybe the head unit is sending a clipped signal, Which at high volumes you WILL NOT be able to hear, this clipped signal gets amplified, heating your voice coils excesively...

You should set the gain down completely,  then turn up the volume on your head unit until you can hear distortion...  Then turn it dow a bit...  THAT is your max volume  (It doesn't matter if it's only 50% of what the unit says it's capable of). If you go beyond that volume, then the HEAD UNIT is the one that clips the signal, regardless of amp/gain configuration

After you have that volume set, turn the gain up until you hear distortion again... That is your amp distorting, turn dow the gain a bit until it dissapears.  That's it... never touch your gain ever again... And don't go beyond that set volume!

forbidden wrote:
Wrong advice young grasshopper, go back to square one and do not pass go.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2004 at 1:40 PM / IP Logged  
You forgot one thing dude, the crossover settings. I imagine that the smaller 3.5" speakers have a much higher crossover point. What is the crossover point on the 6x9's. To me it sounds like a combination of too low a crossover point, too high a gain setting and do you as well have subs in the trunk that are interfering with the 6x9's?
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
xTimx 
Copper - Posts: 354
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2004 at 7:17 PM / IP Logged  
well i finally said forget it and had a professional installer tweak it out for about 15 mins. so everything is good now. i'm gonna try and get myself some 6x9 hats.
i dont think the subs are interfering with the speakers, i always have my back seat folded down most of the time, and when there is people in the back seat, the music is ussually down cause of talking and stuff!
xTimx
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2004 at 11:12 PM / IP Logged  
If the subs are playing in the same chamberered area as the back of the 6x9's, they are definitely interfering. Spend the $10.00 and put some hats on there. Give the speakers the respect they deserve.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic