icon

4x10's anyone?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
chevyman26 
Copper - Posts: 227
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2004 at 9:22 AM / IP Logged  

one of the stock rear ceiling 4x10's is blownin my 99 tahoe. It was already blown when I bought the vehicle, and it only had the factory radio. I have replaced the factory deck with a Alpine CDA-9873 and will soon be replacing all the stock speakers and adding an amp or amps. I'm going to use MB Quarts in the front and rear doors (all are   6 3/4"). Herein is the problem - MB doesn't make 4x10's. The best ones I can find are the $99 Pioneers. Not to dis pioneer at all, but I have had to use these in a couple of other vehicles, and I was not impressed. Does any company make any good 4x10's? Oh yeah- I won't use any audiovox or urban audio or any of that other crap you can buy at Kmart.

Thanks for any input!  

You'd better get me out of this lord... or else you'll have me to deal with. -- Hunter S. Thompson "F.A.L.I.L.V."
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2004 at 10:15 AM / IP Logged  

Most higher end companies stay away from 4X10's as they tend to not have the most predictable frequency response curves and their SQ can vary from one to the next.  I agree you should steer clear of Pioneer, Pyle, Boss, etc.  If you can find a pair, Eclipse made a nice sounding 4X10 coax, model 8403.  I don't know if they are still available...

Cheers!

Support the12volt.com
chevyman26 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2004 at 10:29 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the info. I'll look around. -- Another queston-- would you consider using a different size speaker (like maybe a good 4" with a baffle) in this case? Or should I just keep looking for the 4x10's? It's my wifes daily ride and she won't let me do anything that changes the stock appearence of the vehicle.  Otherwise I would cut it out a bit and use a 6x9 with baffle.
You'd better get me out of this lord... or else you'll have me to deal with. -- Hunter S. Thompson "F.A.L.I.L.V."
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2004 at 10:35 AM / IP Logged  
Metra makes an adapter plate model 82-4000 designed to adapt a 6X9 to a 4X10 opening, but it may not work well in your case as it might force the new speaker to extend beyond the factory "grill" covering.  With a little work you could build your own adapters and put 4X6 (which tends to be more stable in the midrange than 4X10) or 4" or probably even 5-1/4" into your factory openings.  Or heck, just go listen to some locally available 4X10s and if they sound OK, put them in!
Support the12volt.com
chevyman26 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2004 at 11:01 AM / IP Logged  
ok- thanks for all the info.  I wish it were as as easy as just going to the local shops,  but it's at least 2 hours to the nearest decent stereo shop from where I live.
Lifesavermobil 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2004 at 11:21 AM / IP Logged  

I've had alpine coax 4x10's forever, cannot remember the model #, in an extended cab S-10. Think they were/are great. I'm in the process of switching to all 4" because the system is old and the 4x10s have always over powered the front 4x6's. I'm putting 2 in each pillar where 4x10's are for the rears. 2 in the dash and 2 in the kick panels for the fronts.

LifesaverMobil
Sweekster 
Silver - Posts: 481
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2004 at 12:36 PM / IP Logged  
Eclipse still makes a 4x10. It's a 3 way model but it should sound a lot better than what you got going now.
Duane...
If you think you're confused, imagine how you feel.   4x10's anyone? - Last Post -- posted image.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2004 at 1:35 PM / IP Logged  
Eclipse does indeed make a 4x10", model# SE8403. Personally if you have MB Quart going in everywhere else, I would make a nice baffle board and fire a basic 4" coax MB Quart back there and limit it's frequency range with either a cap or amplifier with a crossover.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Chad7n7 
Silver - Posts: 408
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2004 at 1:17 AM / IP Logged  
HA!! Rob is the man, I like his idea very much, I am also fond of running all the same components in a setup, in which your case i understand that you were trying to, but didn't have the right light bulb running in the head, lol, but I think Rob has a very good suggestion, would be the way to go to me, could make all the difference, all quart=very clean, one set of mismatched sounds=pioneer 4X10's, hmmmm, wouldn't be satisfied!!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic