icon

Glue for MDF and enclosures

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
djdaveoc 
Copper - Posts: 231
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2004 at 3:46 PM / IP Logged  

I'm building some amp racks and other structures similar to what Alpine did in a couple of their demo vehicles.  What glue should I use to glue the pieces of particle board to each other and to the metal of the truck frame?  I plan to glue pieces of MDF in certain places to make a frame and then stretch fleece over it and staple that in place so I can resin it, Maraglass it and sand, then apply Rage Gold and sand before I remove it from the truck and have it professionally painted.  Alpine refers to their glue as "Super Glue".  But if they're talking about the name brand stuff, it's like Krazy glue I think.  It comes in two tiny tubes for about $3 and I'd need about $500 of the stuff to finish everything I'm doing.  Should I buy a hot glue gun and use that?  Or is there some other glue like krazy glue that's incredibly strong, dries fast, and comes in large quantities for not too much dinero?

Please help a noobie out!!! Thanks :)

Glue for MDF and enclosures -- posted image. Plan, Research, Do
pjon 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2004 at 6:33 PM / IP Logged  
wood to wood: i would use liquid nail, its in a tube, you would need a caulking gun and you can both of those at lowes, home depot, etc.. as to glueing it to the metal don't know, oh and maybe you should add some layers of fiberglass mat in there somewhere after the fleece. -justin
ummm.. smells like styrene
audiomechanic 
Silver - Posts: 388
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2004 at 10:03 PM / IP Logged  
the stuff they use is a 2 part glue that you can get at hobby shops. it is a cyroacrolate (spelled that wrong) or CA glue. it is about 6 or 7 dollars for the glue and about the same for the activator. there are different types just get the gap filling stuff. it should work best all around for what you are gonna do with it. i use it daily and can do a average install with about 1 or 2 bottles of glue and activator.
djdaveoc 
Copper - Posts: 231
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2004 at 12:12 AM / IP Logged  
Hey audiomechanic, do you know the brand name of the two part glue you're talking about?  Also, is it used only to glue the MDF to the metal, or to the other pieces of MDF too?  Thanks.
Glue for MDF and enclosures -- posted image. Plan, Research, Do
audiomechanic 
Silver - Posts: 388
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2004 at 10:57 AM / IP Logged  
it works well for attaching most anything to anything. i use it alot on plastic, MDF, and fiberglass. it works best on more porus materials, but if it is not a permanent hold it will work on metal.
the kinds i know of are cyberbond, select products sells some, loctite has some, bsi adhesives (insta cure), hot stuff, and many others. i think you can get it at most electronics places, hobby shops, and some home improvement stores.
One_Evil_Necro 
Copper - Posts: 115
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2004 at 3:50 PM / IP Logged  

Jet, Zap,Hot stuff are another couple of brands of cyanoacrylate glue.  Any of these works great, I prefer the gel type versions.

~Jay

TAudio 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2004 at 10:44 AM / IP Logged  
I think there is a kind of Liquid Nails that is made for that type of application. I once used some kind of specialty L.N. to stick dry wall to brick. Go check it out.
If quiters never win, and winners never quit, who the heck came up with the idea that you should quit while your ahead?
TAudio 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2004 at 10:46 AM / IP Logged  
another quick thought. silicone caulk would probably get the job done. I mounted an amp rack to the metal floor pan of my friends jeep with the clear stuff and we had a hell of a time getting it out. just sand with coarse (40 grit) sand paper beforehand.
If quiters never win, and winners never quit, who the heck came up with the idea that you should quit while your ahead?
beyondamfm 
Copper - Posts: 105
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2004 at 9:16 PM / IP Logged  

I have used heavy duty liquid nail thatr is the name of it, the trick is the prep work if you try to apply it to smooth painted or bare metal it will not work all that well unless it is in a crack. So just take some sand paper and score the metal bfore you apply and you will be alright.

The Clear Bra Guy
KCs premiere paint protection guru
shaddr3 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2004 at 10:04 PM / IP Logged  
I would use Gorilla Glue.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic