Repairing Rip in Subwoofer edge?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Dreamweaver01 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2004 at 9:07 PM / IP Logged  
RTDopp wrote:

Ok guys, I am really in need of some help here, so hopefully someone out here can.  Here is the deal.  I have a MMATS Juggernaut 12", brand new.  As I was screwing it into the box, the drill slipped off the screw and poked into the foam surrounding.  It is not very big at all, and it's not an actual hole, but if you pull back on the rip you can feel from the back you can tell that it punctured all the way through.  What I'm thinking is maybe using epoxy to just seal it up so there is no air leaks and so in the future it wont get bigger.  I have some 2 TON Epoxy (the kind where you mix the hardner and resin), but am afraid that the epoxy may eat through the foam.  Does anyone know what else I can do to fix this, or know if the epoxy will really eat at the foam or not?  Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance!      

Ricky

Why not just get a surround repair kit. they are around 10-20 bucks

I remain.
Dreamweaver.
M.E.C.P. Master Installer
A+ Certifacation
F.C.C. Technician
C.E.T.
Roku-Dan @ Part time Ninjutsu Instructor.
osokrayzay 
Copper - Posts: 54
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2004 at 9:11 PM / IP Logged  
My nephew took a screwdriver into my 13w7 cone, while i was placing my wire. It crakacked and left a 1 inch cross shaped crack. Took some jb weld and slapped it on there and all is good.
flatulatta 
Silver - Posts: 356
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2004 at 9:26 PM / IP Logged  

to answer the Q about the infinity i did the exact same thing and it played just as well as the other one... so its all kool

RTDopp 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2004 at 8:35 AM / IP Logged  
To you peoples that said you use your hand kinda as a guard and to guide it, I did that to, it went into the sub asfter drilling a 1/8" hole into the skin between my thumb and pointing finger.  The goudge is approxamantly at the most a 1/4 of an inch long.  Like I said, it's NOT BIG AT ALL.  I will try to get a picture of it to pst, untill then , thank for everybodys input, and I welcome everymuch more.  Thanks guys/gals!!!
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2004 at 10:31 AM / IP Logged  
Dude, don't be a fool.  An MMATS Juggernaut is a $700 SPL monster woofer.  Get the surround repaired for crissakes, or you will be hating life soon.  This speaker can pound out dbs and the cone moves a LOT of air, which means lots of pressure and lots of flexing on the surround.  The hole you punched will only get bigger and the speaker will eventually fail.  It will also not perform anywhere near its capabilities with a damaged surround.  Don't use RTV or any other glue, get it fixed by an authorized service center.  Spend $200 now to fix it rather than another $700 in a few months after the speaker fails.  This to me is a no-brainer!!
Support the12volt.com
RTDopp 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2004 at 8:18 AM / IP Logged  

OK, so i guess I'm not explaining it that well.  I have hooked up the sub and there is no difference with that little goudge being in there.  Actually, it doesnt leak even the slightest amount of air out of it.  It's almost like it punctured half of it, but at the back end, it just made a "flap" that if you pull you can then tell that it went all the way through.  When playing, no air leaks what so ever.  I just want to seal it so it doesnt rip in the future.  I just looked at it again, and the size is almost the size of a normal size screw that you would use to mount your sub.  I will get a pic and post on my next message, proboly wont be till tomarrow morning though, being that I work nights.  Thanks for the input!!

Ricky

f150on22s 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2004 at 10:59 AM / IP Logged  
Ok....I just want to know why it is so hard to put some screws in a box?  I'm only 18 and I have never messed up.  Just listen to what dyohn says.  He knows what he is talkin about.l
casedeez 
Copper - Posts: 160
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2004 at 11:59 AM / IP Logged  

I am only 21 and I have not done it either. Thing is some of these guys in here are older and have installed more speakers/ subs than myself. A lot of the guys in here do that most of there days. I would have to say that the more you do something the more likely it is your going to jack it up at some point.

Another thing I want to bring up. Regarding "Just listen to what dyohn says." I want to make sure that everyone understands that whenever getting information from other people, make sure you are getting the correct information. Now, by all means Dyohn is pretty damn smart, however a lot of people post on here that are new and dont know or have not read his posts. In my head this forum is a great place to bounce ideas off other people. Dyohn and Rob at Forbidden are two of the best on this forum. Regardless be careful some of the stuff you read because that little hole could possibly lose you a couple bucks. Me being in college and not having mad cash to spend on equipment makes it important I dont break something. Now in no way am I trying to diss on Dyohn, in fact he is probably the most correct in the way to go about your problem. All I am saying is filter the information you get in these forums. All it takes to get access to posting is a email address and username and pass. I would encourage you to get information from several different resources.

gumby_55 
Member - Posts: 38
Member spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2004 at 5:29 PM / IP Logged  

I had the same problem when I was 16 and installing my first system into my truck. I actually used hot glue on the nside and outside edges of the tear and it worked absolutely GREAT! That was 3 years ago and the sub is still going strong except it is now in my little brother car. It was a 10" fosgate HE2. Nowhere near a juggernaut and handles a lot less pressure levels but it might be worth a try. Let us know how it works out. GOOD LUCK!!!

Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic