icon

Help me find a DVC 2+2Ohm Sub

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2004 at 9:36 PM / IP Logged  

If that amp is 800 watts rms at 4 ohms mono which I think it is, then the 8 ohm load would see about 4oo watts rms. Also the higher load would give the amp the chance to produce cleaner power by lowering the THD and hence helping in your quest for sq

double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
sunshine 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2004 at 9:41 PM / IP Logged  
Ravendarat wrote:

If that amp is 800 watts rms at 4 ohms mono which I think it is, then the 8 ohm load would see about 4oo watts rms. Also the higher load would give the amp the chance to produce cleaner power by lowering the THD and hence helping in your quest for sq

Ok...that sounds like a good wattage for me.  So now I am looking for a sub to fit that profile?  Alpine Type R?  The Eclipse?  MQ Quart? 

1991 Mazda Rx-7
Alpine HU w/iPod adapter
PG 600.2Ti, Alpine 35x4
Optima Yellow
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 04, 2004 at 10:07 PM / IP Logged  
For your 8 ohm load you want a dual 4 ohm woofer, like this Diamond rated at 500 watts.  http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?Productid=12440  Look at 400-500 watts RMS for the sub.  And, of course, the Eclipse Aluminum is highly favored for SQ.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2004 at 10:42 PM / IP Logged  
Can't go wrong with Diamond.  Good call, Stevdart.
Support the12volt.com
kickerstang 
Copper - Posts: 180
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 05, 2004 at 6:48 AM / IP Logged  
forget about the 8ohm load and the dual 2 ohm subs, go get yourself a good svc 4 ohm sub......problem solved, no wiring the voice coils in series or parallel, just hook it up and go.
what!?!?! you want some??
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 05, 2004 at 3:01 PM / IP Logged  
Actually that may represent a problem. This amp is rated to porduce a minimum of 800 w rms @ 4 ohm mono. Even though the gain will be turned basically off, it stillpresents a huge amount of power to run the sub. This power has a natural byproduct called heat. Heat leads to sss on pretty much any sub in the industry. Even though the origanal post states that he wants sq, to use this much power in a system is fine but it is probably overkill. To find a single 4 ohm 10" sub that can handle this large amount of power and heat is going to be a task. Consistent and sustained volume levels also do not do much for the dissippation of heat as well, matter of fact it makes things worse. I stand by my recommendation to get a dvc 4 ohm sub, wire it in series to an 8 ohm load thus knocking back the amp power to a minimum of 400w rms and let it fly. You cannot miss with either the recommended Diamond or Eclipse subs that we have mentioned.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
sunshine 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: May 05, 2004 at 3:32 PM / IP Logged  

forbidden wrote:
I stand by my recommendation to get a dvc 4 ohm sub, wire it in series to an 8 ohm load thus knocking back the amp power to a minimum of 400w rms and let it fly. You cannot miss with either the recommended Diamond or Eclipse subs that we have mentioned.

Thank you all for your patience and help.  I am going to take this recomendation...and am in the process of trying to figure out which of the two abovementioned subs will work better in my enclusure.  I am having a bit of trouble getting hard data on what internal volumes the Eclipse likes best.  Also, I was thinking the M6 Diamond will be better than the M3 that was posted above.  Also, anybody have any leads for an M5???

Thanks,

-a

1991 Mazda Rx-7
Alpine HU w/iPod adapter
PG 600.2Ti, Alpine 35x4
Optima Yellow
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 05, 2004 at 3:59 PM / IP Logged  
Hard data on the aluminum series. The 10" can and will play in a sealed enclosure of .5 cu.ft. up to my favorite box of 1.25 cu.ft. It is a very respectable subwoofer. Eclipse also has a new Aluminum driver out, that's right folks a new sub, model# is SW7304DVP and will also work in a small sealed enclosure of .5 - 1.0 cu.ft. It has a slightly lower power handling than the sub I originally recommended. Spend the extra $ and get the original tried and true SW8102DVC. Remember, the one thing that can kill a sub is heat, with either a clipped signal (improbable in your case but not impossible) or a large amount of power (probable in your case) it is easy to generate a large amount of heat in the voice coils.  One thing that the Eclipse does quite well is remove heat from the former like no other. Basically all subs have a vented pole piece and some hind of perimeter venting these days, this is great, sucks cool air in the back and blows the hot air out the perimeter vents and then reverses on the inward stroke. Eclispe stepped this a little further by thermally bonding the aluminum former to the aluminum cone, now the surface area of the cone is actually a heat sink as well. Not too many people are actually aware of this little fact. As far as the great Diamond speakers go , well I do not have tons of experience with the Diamond drivers, I'll let someone else speak their merits.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 05, 2004 at 5:09 PM / IP Logged  

Since I suggested the Diamond I'll throw my bits in and duck out.  The M6 seems to tend toward a higher wattage than the CM3.  It looks like it wants to be at from 800 down to 600 watts.  The 3 would be full of juice with 400-500 watts.  To keep in line with the rest of your system, I would go with the 3 even though the 6 is a more substantial subwoofer.

And I like the little half-moon shaped thingie on the Diamonds...

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
chevyman26 
Copper - Posts: 227
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 05, 2004 at 8:34 PM / IP Logged  

www.imagedynamicsusa.com      - just check it out. Dollar for dollar i haven't been happier. The Q-series will work in sealed enclosures from .25 to .5 cu. ft. and they handle 250W rms each, so it wouldn't take very much room to put 2 of them in, and your amp is just about right if you get 2 2-ohm dvc subs and wire all together in parallel you'd get your 8 ohm load.

forbidden wrote:

No replacement for displacement..

You'd better get me out of this lord... or else you'll have me to deal with. -- Hunter S. Thompson "F.A.L.I.L.V."
Page of 3

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic