icon

Better sound

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
PimpVan 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: May 06, 2004 at 9:45 PM / IP Logged  

I have 2 kicker comp 12" subs.I just had a question as if i was to flip the subs to where the magnet is fasing out, is that going to change there sound at all.Like will they hit harder or not harder, or would it stay the same and nothing change.

thanks

xTimx 
Copper - Posts: 354
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 06, 2004 at 10:10 PM / IP Logged  
well i had my 2 12" MA audio 12D6 subs in a 3 cu ft sealed box. and they pounded hard. but when i inverted them, they actually put out more spl. this way i have them now does 139.6 on the SPL scale. just remember to reverse the polarity. some people have diff opinions on inverting subs, mainly cause of the look. luckily for me the 12"s i have, have a chrome basket with a blue magnet and they look awesome!
xTimx
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 06, 2004 at 10:10 PM / IP Logged  
It will not change the sound at all if you put them in the correct enclosure.  If you simply invert them in theur current enclosure, the sound will likely lose definition and become more "flabby."
Support the12volt.com
markcars 
Silver - Posts: 662
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 06, 2004 at 10:17 PM / IP Logged  
You'll probably be using a bigger box (to protect the protuding magnet) besides keeping within the required specs such as volume of box etc. If space is not a concern, go for it. What kind of vehicle are you using the sub in? Are you using a ported enclosure or non? That would also make a difference.
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 06, 2004 at 10:32 PM / IP Logged  
The only way it would make a difference is by when you invert the sub , more airspace in the box is freed up for the sub to move more freely, but i can guarantee only electronic testing equipment will be able to see the difference.
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
markcars 
Silver - Posts: 662
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2004 at 6:47 AM / IP Logged  
If the box is ported, would that not allow the sub's cone to move "freely" since there is no "sealed" air volume in the box?
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2004 at 8:22 AM / IP Logged  

Inverting a speaker does nothing to allow the cone to "move more freely'."  What it can do is increase the airspace in the enclosure, ported or sealed or otherwise.  When you invert a speaker, you 1) remove the basket and magnet assembly from the inside of the enclosure so it is no longer taking up space, and 2) add the volume inside the cone to the inside of the enclosure.  These things make the effective air volume larger and this must be taken into account in the enclosure design. 

If an enclosure is designed for conventional mounting and then the woofer is inverted, the enclosure size increases by somewhere between 0.1 and 0.25 cuft (or more) depending on the woofer.  This means the performance of the enclosure changes.

Why all the questions about inverted speaker mounting I wonder?  The ONLY reason to do this that I can think of is for looks (unless you are building an isobaric enclosure, I suppose.)

Support the12volt.com
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2004 at 1:15 PM / IP Logged  
Noticed alot of posts about this topic, might be something to cover with a sticky.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
xTimx 
Copper - Posts: 354
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2004 at 2:33 PM / IP Logged  
yes that too Rob and the gain Q's are coming in like crazy! i suggest you make both of them sticky
xTimx
PimpVan 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2004 at 9:21 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks everyone for your post and to let some know its going in the back of my grandvoyger or what everyone calls a miniVan.I like the van though because of ALL THAT AIR SPACE i get to play with. It will be a sealed box,and i do know about the polarity thing.And i heard that when i invert them i will have to make a much smaller box for them.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic