icon

2001 chevy tahoe w/ onstar, new HU?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
slow_hoe2001 
Member - Posts: 42
Member spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2004 at 4:38 PM / IP Logged  
 i have 2001 chevy tahoe w/ onstar. the problem i have encountered is when i wanted to upgrade my stereo deck i had to disconnect my onstar b/c it went through the factory radio. does any one know if there is a way u can use an aftermarket deck and still utilize the functions that onstar offers? also, every since i installed a mobile video set up in said truck i have been experiencing "whining" noise at low volumes. the local shop said "it was probally from the onstar" could this be true? i have upgraded all my grounds,changed my alt. to a higher amp 1, upgraded and rerouted my rca's. could it maybe be b/c i'm using a ps2 as my media source?   any help would be greatly appreciated
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2004 at 5:09 PM / IP Logged  
I believe metra makes an adapter for that truck... it re-locates the factory HU to behind or below the driver... all of the functions remain intact. I THINK it might be 70-2006 and or 70-2003T. You might need both... Never used one, just know of their existence... (I found both of these ">here) Or this is a link to right here on the12volt...
Noise, being CAUSED by the OnStar? I don't think so, especially if it is disabled, because of the lack of the factory HU... sounds to me like they don't want to work on the thing, or are just lazy... I'd find a different shop.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
dudek38 
Copper - Posts: 250
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2004 at 11:03 PM / IP Logged  
i installed a kenwood hu in a 2003 yukon. i used to metra wire harness( model # ) that is necessary for the premium sound and onstar. it worked fine but had a major problem. after installing it, i had major engine noise on the front channel. the front channel on that wire harness utilizes rca's. i dont know why but it connects the factory's front speaker wires to wires that direct them through rca's, making you hook up to the hu's front rca's preouts. i finally found that the rca's were picking up the noise. i had to bypass the rca's. you'll know what im talking about when you see the kit. my cost for the kit was around $50. it should've been made better.
there are 3 kits for u depending on if u have onstar and premium sound. vt-gmos-01 just onstar, 02 onstar and bose, 03 onstar & factory premium
owner of
Motion Marine & Car Audio
the florida keys
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2004 at 7:38 PM / IP Logged  
There isn't any radio interface required for you to replace the radio.   The Onstar system won't be causing the noise. There maybe kits available for you to still utilize your Onstar system. All that is required is to take the low level audio signal form the Onstar system and amplify it and run it through a speaker. As for the noise in your video system, try installing a good power line noise filter on all the ignition feeds to every component in the video system except the power inverter running your PS2. You may also require a RCA style ground loop isolator installed between some or all of the video components. Ground all your components to a clean portion of the body.
sparky
Leoayers 
Copper - Posts: 73
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2004 at 8:48 PM / IP Logged  
THere is a part you can buy that allows you to use your onstar without the original head unit. it is part number SOUNDGATE STARMOD1V2 onstar solutions
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 09, 2004 at 10:02 AM / IP Logged  
look for a module called GMOS-01 which allows you to replace the radio and maintain door chime AND OnStar....i think i buy them from metra
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic