the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Buy an amp to overpower subs?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 11, 2004 at 6:20 PM / IP Logged  
Some articles written by Steve Brown.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
chevyman26 
Copper - Posts: 227
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2004 at 6:33 PM / IP Logged  

yeah- it was in the competition corner articles

You'd better get me out of this lord... or else you'll have me to deal with. -- Hunter S. Thompson "F.A.L.I.L.V."
stevdart 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 11, 2004 at 6:41 PM / IP Logged  
No doubt he knows what he's talking about, he's built some amazing comp systems.  Let me not be the one who says he's wrong.  But is there a philosophy among high level competitors about this?  Is it because they are so precise with every detail that they can go this overpower route?  And is it a sane approach for the regular street guy building his system?
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
chevyman26 
Copper - Posts: 227
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2004 at 7:07 PM / IP Logged  

stevdart wrote:
Is it because they are so precise with every detail that they can go this overpower route?  And is it a sane approach for the regular street guy building his system?

My question exactly! Those are the words I was looking for!

You'd better get me out of this lord... or else you'll have me to deal with. -- Hunter S. Thompson "F.A.L.I.L.V."
Ketel22 
Silver - Posts: 976
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2004 at 7:29 PM / IP Logged  
clipping is created when you set your gains incorrectly. if you have an amp rated for higher than the rms value of the sub and your gains are set properly or a little under then you should have no problem running your subs or have to worry about them burning up or getting a clipped signal
correct?
Quad L Handyman services
stevdart 
Posted: May 11, 2004 at 7:43 PM / IP Logged  
Two things here.  Even with a properly set gain you can easily send the speakers into clipping.  How?  By turning the head unit volume up past the point where you should stop.  The signal to the amp becomes distorted and, of course, is amplified.  Second thing...you say if the amp is rated at higher output than the speakers can handle...but the gain is set correctly...then there is no fear of burning up or clipping?  Possibly true to the clipping part, but there is still the HU, and you know there is a point where it will distort.  But the burning up part?  How would you know?  Until you hear the voice coil banging or smell smoke?  Overpowering is a certain killer unless you know precisely where to stop turning that dial....and you would have to rely on meters because you wouldn't hear clipping to tell you to turn it down.  That's why I don't think this way of doing things is good for the average guy.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2004 at 8:14 PM / IP Logged  

While I agree that having amplifier head room is a good thing (this would be the theory behind using an amp well below it's power limits) I will argue that it is much safer to use loudspeakers designed to handle much more RMS power than the amplifier you use.  When I specify a professional sound system, I always specify loudspeakers rated 2 to 3 times higher than amplifier RMS power rating.  Then, set up the amplifier properly so it can never clip with max pre-amp input, and both the amp and the speaker are operating well inside their normal ranges, staying away from maximums and peak excursions, and all is well.  I usually drive professional loudspeakers designed for 500 watts RMS with no more than 250 watts of amplifier power.  If I need more acoustical output, design in more efficiency or choose higher power rated speakers.  The worst thing that can happen in pro audio (or in theatres, my real bread and butter) is to blow a speaker because the amplifier was too powerful.  That is called never work in the industry again.

Now in car audio, most people want their system to be as loud as possible, so they tend to match RMS ratings.  Then if everything is set up properly the amp and the speaker are both at their "hairy edge" of safe operation and will operate at their "best".  The danger of doing this is it doesn't take much to push the system off the edge and blow something, usually because of clipping.

The danger of overpowering a loudspeaker is driving the voice coil too hard and frying it, either with electrical power that is too much for the windings or by driving the speaker to its excursion limit, stopping VC movement and frying it with heat (the exact same sort of failure mode clipping causes.)  In my opinion, it is only safe to overpower a system if you know exactly what you are doing, have a very good pre-amp that yu can setup precisely, and NEVER drive the amplifier near the range of damage to a speaker.  This is the worst case condition for most every-day car audio users, unless buying new speakers every time the urge hits to "crank it" is acceptable to your pocketbook.

Support the12volt.com
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2004 at 9:21 PM / IP Logged  
Well said DYohn! I also agree that this overpowering aspect is best left to people who REALLY know what they are doing. If you cannot hear a speaker being overdriven, then do not take this route. (I never knew you were into theatre...) I have been doing it for years, like DYohn, and I can hear a driver being overdriven. I am a firm believer in dynamics, and I DO take the overpowering route, for this very reason. If you cannot keep you hand out of the volume control, you will ALWAYS be best off matching your amp power to driver rating.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2004 at 10:59 PM / IP Logged  
This is the way I have always treated this question. When I have a customer ask me I tell him to get an amp that has more power than what he needs and I will explain why. Lets say I set the gains on the system and the kid leaves. He looks at the system and decides that he wants his sub to be louder. He looks at the amp and see's that there is still room on the gain dial. So he turns it up. Now he is getting more bass but his amp that only puts out 230 watts rms is clipping his 400 watt rms sub like crazy because he cranked the gain. He either doesnt know what that sounds like or can hear the sub clipping cause its in his trunk. He blows the damn thing up and comes back pissed cause his sub blew up, claiming the sub is a piece of crap and that it shouldnt have blown up because the amp was barely putting half of the subs max power to it. I try to explain to the customer about clipping and he looks at me like I am a sleazy ass just trying to cover my tracks for a faulty product. Now if the same customer buys a sub that handles 400 watts rms and an amp that does about 500 watts rms and I set it up. The customer is far less likely to want more from the system because the sub is already being driven to full potential. It is also easier to explain to that same customer why he shouldnt turn the gain up higher than it is because in his mind he knows that he has more power than what the sub could handle and doesnt wanna chance blowing it up. While we are own the topic of power, we all know that manufactures tend to rate the equipment differently so if you by a Eclipse sub and a rockford amp, just cause the eclipse sub says it handles 600 watts rms and the rockford amp says it handles 600 watts rms that doesnt mean its gonna match up so that is where experience kicks in. I know that a kicker xs100 is not a good match to a punch stage 1 because even thought the kicker amp is rated at 50 x 2 and the stage 1 says it handles 150 watts rms, I also know that that kicker amp is underrated big time and would tear that little stage 1 apart. I also know that a American Legacy that is rated at 200 watts rms x 2 isnt gonna sufficently power a mtx 8000 because even thoug the rms power would match up the same I know the American Leagacy is bullsh*t ratings and are only gonna do those numbers right before it melts down. Mabye you think My theory is wrong but I have always overpowered everthing I use and it comes down to the fact that amps can always be turned down but if you try to turn it up so its no longer matched up to the head unit you are gonna clip and are gonna have problems. Everyone I know around here who either competes or runs higher quality equipment always over power their stuff. Also the lower you can keep the amp the less its gonna have to work and the longer its gonna last. Heat creates distortion and distortion creates, to borrow a quote from forbidden, sss. Smelly Speaker Syndrom and no one wants that.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 11, 2004 at 11:21 PM / IP Logged  

I think you guys are forgetting something, and that is the enclosure used.  I know people who run 3 kilowatts to one of our subs, and yet I have seen this sub break with only a 250 watt amp.  The enclosure makes a large difference in the power handling of the subwoofer.  The thermal rating is somewhat useless once it is installed in a system.  Especially when you add the fact that many companies aren't too honest about their power ratings.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic