the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Buy an amp to overpower subs?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2004 at 11:51 PM / IP Logged  
I agree with Steven... I run 2700 watts to a single Eclipse SW9122, 12 inch, DVC from the Eclipse DA7122 Amp. I can do this because I broke the driver in FIRST, measured the Theil-Small Parameters, after the 48 hour break-in period, and then built the enclosure for optimum alignment. I think I went for a Qts around .9, because it offers me the best combination of frequency extension and power handling. Granted, a Qts that high will usually give a bump in the response, but in this case the bump is at (I think I remember correctly) 87Hz, +3dB or so. I was not worried about this because I knew my crossover into the sub was going to be 50Hz @ 48dB, so there is NOTHING even close to 87Hz getting there for the driver to reproduce. I was also EXTREMELY meticulous in the construction and bracing of my box... It was cut on my buddy's router table, which he uses in his sign shop. I didn't even have to use screws. And before I get grief about NOT using screws, it does not need them, I assure you. I used gorilla glue, with weights and clamps to hold each and every joint until it was completely set. The assembly of the box took 8 days!
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
chevyman26 
Copper - Posts: 227
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 12, 2004 at 8:44 AM / IP Logged  
 So those of you who do overpower your systems- I know my headunit's limits now. I know what to never turn it past on any adjustment. So if I do go the overpower route, how should I set my levels? Set the gain & crossover levels, put my sub level to 0, bass to 0, and slowly go up from there untill it doesn't sound right (I do have a pretty sensitive ear), and then back down a click or two and just never go past it again?
You'd better get me out of this lord... or else you'll have me to deal with. -- Hunter S. Thompson "F.A.L.I.L.V."
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 12, 2004 at 2:17 PM / IP Logged  

It is a very complex equation with no simple answer, which is why I always err on the side of caution and suggest under or equal power for speaker-amp pairings.  The proper enclosure can provide sufficient damping to increase a loudspeaker's power handling capability... and the wrong enclosure can severely limit it as well.  I have also run drivers rated at 35 watts with 300 watt amplifiers, but only with highly dampened enclosures and using carefully selected bandpass filters, and after the driver was properly broken in and tested.

Bottom line: in car audio on a forum like this, always recomend a SAFE configuration first, and always defer to the manufacturer's recomendations. 

Someone who is a competition professional or who really knows what they are doing and understands acoustic and electircal theory can of course build a system using 5Kw amps and 500 watt speakers, but if they know how to do this they probably won't ask how on this forum!  :) 

Support the12volt.com
Page of 3

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic