icon

Impedance load

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
casedeez 
Copper - Posts: 160
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2004 at 6:36 PM / IP Logged  
Theyre Kicker zr 360's. The subs are 4 ohm DVC I have them ran down to 4 ohms. 2 subs per amp, 4 ohms per amp. Another question I have is I want to measure the voltage my deck is putting out. Do i connect the miltimeter to the rcas, like meters red to rca's red and meters black to ground or to white on the rcas?
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2004 at 7:12 PM / IP Logged  

OK, that amp is rated at 360 watts RMS X 1 into 4-ohms.  So, disconnect your speakers from the amp, set your amplifier gain to minimum, turn up yout head unit to it's maximum output volume before clipping (which you should have already determioned before you begin, and if not try about 75%), play your 50 Hz tone, connect your multimeter set to AC volts (RMS if it has such a setting) to the amplifier output terminals and slowly turn up the gain control until you see no greater than 37.94 volts.  This will be equivalent to 360 watts output into 4-ohms.  Be sure to turn the head unit off before you re-connect your speaker leads.

To check the voltage output on yout RCAs, connect one meter lead to the outer ring of one RCA (red or white it doesn't matter) and the other lead to the inner socket or pin.  Read it on AC volts scale.

Support the12volt.com
casedeez 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2004 at 7:18 PM / IP Logged  
Sweet, thanks. So I want 37.94 volts... not the lower one? Not the other eqaution that I did for 2 ohm. From what I was reading earlier was that a 4 ohm load to a amp thats bridged will give each channel a 2 ohm load? Did i read incorrectly?
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2004 at 7:23 PM / IP Logged  
Yes, but you don't care about that.  You are putting a 4-ohm load on your bridged amp, so you want to see the voltage at the same conenctors you will use for the speakers.  Conenct your meter to the bridged output and calculate for 4 ohms.
Support the12volt.com
casedeez 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2004 at 7:26 PM / IP Logged  
Ok ill giver er a try. SO did the kicker tech guy not know what he was talking about when he said that I need to get the uotput voltage from the deck and match the amp to it? If my deck only puts out roughly 2.7 volts, and taking my amp down to 2.7 volts might not be possible, but in any case, it would leave the gain real real low. Sorry I have so many questions, Im just trying to learn. Thanks for helping me tho.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 13, 2004 at 7:41 PM / IP Logged  

The Kicker guy was right in saying that.  He was referring to setting the amp gain to match the deck output.  But here is where it gets a little confusing:  look at the gain control.  Most amps it is a screw that turns clockwise.  All the way to the left, or counterclockwise is thought of as off, or at its lowest point.  You are starting there to begin matching gain to the deck output.

Now here is what is tricky.  The gain at far left is actually for high voltage input.  And the more you turn it clockwise, the gain is matching lower voltage.  So far left is maybe 10 volts, and far right is 1 volt.  If you are matching 2.7 volts, the amp gain screw will be turned clockwise about 3/4 of its travel.  As a contrast, my HU is factory, and I get about a 9 volt signal from it to the amp, so I find that my amp gain is barely moved to under the 1/4 area to match the input.

This BCAE page  explains it really well.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
casedeez 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2004 at 8:16 PM / IP Logged  
Im guessing im using the meter wrong, but i cant seem to get any voltage out of either my deck or my amp unless i go way down to mV and then its not stable. Am i doing something wrong?
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 13, 2004 at 8:35 PM / IP Logged  

I read the voltage with the speakers hooked up.  Because I thought  the amp won't make voltage without a resistance load.  Read on AC volts at the 200 level.  With a test sine wave,  I got an unwavering reading.

I also read the input voltage of the deck  at the amp speaker terminals, with the amp gain off.  I don't know if this was correct, because the reading was lower than I thought it should be, but I got a volt reading.  Like I said earlier, it was interesting, but then I set it by ear.  Actually, I set the gain more clockwise.

You asked earlier about hearing distortion, or clipping.  When your testing the limit of the HU, listen to the front speakers.  There will be a strong and steady increase of volume as you turn up the dial, but at a certain point you will notice the sound gets fuzzy and the volume doesn't increase at the same rate.  That is the distortion point.  Keep the sub off while you do this.

Then, when your listening at the sub for distortion, unplug the front speakers.  Adjusting the amp gain, you will again get to that point where the sound is dulled, not crisp, somewhat fuzzy.  That's that point again.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
casedeez 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2004 at 9:53 PM / IP Logged  
Ok, I will try it with the - hooked up, I think that might work bc thats what Jl tutorial shows. Anyway when I turn my deck up to half Im good without distortion, soon after that I get distortion with the sine wave cd thingy mcjigger. Now DYohn said to go 3/4 and so does JL but if I go any higher than Half Im getting mad distortion. I would unhook my rca's to my fronts to do this but I have to take the box out and when I do that Im going to re-tune the mid/highs. Im going to go give this another shot. Thanks for the words of advice.
casedeez 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2004 at 10:16 PM / IP Logged  
Ok, this is really starting to piss me off. I have read over jl's tutorial, read over what everyone has said, checked on my batt to make sure my meter works, and I have done everything. I even tried it with the subs hooked up. What the heck am I doing wrong here.
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic