icon

multimeters

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
xTimx 
Copper - Posts: 354
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2004 at 5:12 PM / IP Logged  
TY DYOHN your a life saver! :P but one prob...what if i dont have a test cd?! that plays seperate tones, what CD does this?
xTimx
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2004 at 6:04 PM / IP Logged  

Somthing like this has what you need, and a few other fun goodies, too.

Cheers

Support the12volt.com
casedeez 
Copper - Posts: 160
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2004 at 6:08 PM / IP Logged  

I would have loved to learn the correct way to do this with a multimeter. However I went through and did what you described to my amp with the multimeter and a test tone and the voltage that was produced from my amp was not anywhere near what you were saying it should have been which I believe was 47.94 volts. I spent that entire day trying to figure out WHY it wasnt working for me. Perhaps I was doing something incorrectly, I dont know. I mentioned the reason why I think it is a waste of time which you havnt given a response to. You being a professional in this area should know the answer. The question or statement im referring to is that amps produce different voltages at different tones etc etc. Now perhaps there is more that goes into it, but from the standpoint I was at, and any other "beginner" is at, is the difficulty in doing this procedure without having somone who knows how to do it there with them. That is another reason I referred to it being a waste of time. I am also going to refute your comment about being lazy. I tried very hard to get this to work. I consulted people on this forum, local shops, kicker, and JL audio. Each person told me different ways to set the gains. After attempting many ways I decided to go with my standby and do it the way i have been doing it for several years. From a professional standpoint it may be wrong, but its what I know and it works. In all seriousness I would love to learn more about it however I cant afford to take college classes, which I am already taking a loans out for anyway. Although this forum is probably the most benificial thing I have found for mobile audio, some things I would just learn better seeing. Beginner in using a multimeter, yes, what I was refering to was car audio in general. I am going off the definition that beginner is someone who starts or BEGINS something. Amateur is someone who enjoys it as a hobby or pastime.

xTimx- If you cant find a place that sells test cd's you could get a program called NCH tone generator. You would need to have a cd burner though. I dont want you to think that I think you shouldnt try this. You can learn a great deal just playing with it, and if you listen to what some of the people on this forum say, people like DYohn Forbidden stevedrt and several others you are going to learn a lot.

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 16, 2004 at 9:01 PM / IP Logged  
You can download this trial version sine wave generator and make a CD of test tones in a couple of hours.  I used it to make one, check the help menu for recording sine waves.  You can record the .wav files for as long as you want, so for testing make some files at least 5 to 10 minutes long.  You don't have to pay for the shareware, just make your CD while it's free.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
xTimx 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2004 at 9:20 PM / IP Logged  
SWEET! casedeez your also a life saver! haha. right on. i never knew such a thing existed! anything else that your guys arent telling me about?! lol
xTimx
stevdart 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 16, 2004 at 9:32 PM / IP Logged  
You mean something like the automatic foolproof amp gain setting robot?  Not telling you about that one!
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
Teken 
Gold - Posts: 1,492
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2004 at 10:48 PM / IP Logged  
stevdart wrote:
You mean something like the automatic foolproof amp gain setting robot?  Not telling you about that one!
LMFAO...multimeters - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.
Regards
EVIL Teken . . .
xTimx 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 17, 2004 at 3:05 AM / IP Logged  
AW C"MON STEVDART, PLEASE! i'm sure EVERYONE would like to hear this one! including rob and dyohn! :P but that would be so cool to have...(snaps out of dreaming)
i have another Q. is there a tone that would be the same as another tone. for example if i'm needing to get 1khz, is there a hz for being the same as 1khz (1khz=380hz?)
xTimx
stevdart 
Posted: May 17, 2004 at 7:21 AM / IP Logged  
1 Khz = 1000 Hz
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic