82 cadillac deville, JVC El Kameleon

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
thewill02 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: May 18, 2004 at 9:01 AM / IP Logged  

Hello all,

I am new to the forum so I am not sure if you guys can answer my question, but I have faith in you.  I have a 1982 Cadillac Coupe DeVille.  I want to install this radio my brother gave me.  The JVC El Kameleon head unit.  Now I got it to flash on, but the only thing I could do is put a cd in.  The power wasn't running through it.  The problem I'm having is, which wire is the power wire.  I am using a metra wiring harness.  The harness has several wires that do not correspond with those on the radio.  I am also an ameture at radio installation.  Can anyone give me a hand?  Thanks

T. Williams
Spaceman Spiff 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: May 18, 2004 at 9:19 AM / IP Logged  
KD-LX333R
KD-LX110RE - Don't know if this is the correct model. I only found to models for the El K. and KD-LX110R is what this one is supposed to be, but this is what resulted from the search.
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 18, 2004 at 10:30 AM / IP Logged  
Sounds like your ignition wire isnt gettin power. If you have a multimeter or a test light, turn the vehicle on and check for voltage running through the wire. It would be helpful if you told us which wires dont corospond on the metra harness. Some of them such as the blue and orange wires dont matter for you.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 18, 2004 at 12:26 PM / IP Logged  
the blue would matter if you have a power antenna ( many Caddies do )...but the wiring of the Metra harness and the wiring of the JVC should both be an EIA standard... it should be a case of simply matching up red to red, yellow to yellow, etc.     Like Ravendarat said, there may be some superflous wiring on the Metra cable, if there is just cap those unused wires
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 18, 2004 at 12:35 PM / IP Logged  
Sorry, to clarify I ment the blue and orange wires arent nessasary to get the deck to function. The Blue is definalty a nessasaity for power antenna though. I gotta start reading through my own stuff before I post it.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
thewill02 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2004 at 1:35 PM / IP Logged  

Hey guys,

Your last set of info was helpful.  I got the system to work fine, however, I am having a problem with the player not playing.  To clarify, I mean that the deck will play a cd for a while.  Then it will stop playing.  I got the idea that it was too hot or something.  I also thought that the cds may be too beat up.  So I put a brand spanking new cd in, and it did the same thing.  Can any one give me a clue as to what I should do, or who I should ask about this.  Thanks.

T. Williams
Ketel22 
Silver - Posts: 976
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2004 at 4:04 PM / IP Logged  
i had that problem with an kd-lx30 it "overheated" if i put the ac on it or if i pulled it out of the dash it played well.. have you tried to keep the deck a little cooler while its playing?
Quad L Handyman services
silversi17 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2004 at 4:48 AM / IP Logged  
Those kameleon decks where riddled with problems.  We get so many back for service calls that it's disturbing.  My suggestion would be to get rid of it and get something else, cuz once you get it working again, it's gonna break again.
thewill02 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2004 at 10:36 AM / IP Logged  

Hello all

I have an 82 cadillac deville,  I installed aradio, and it works, how ever I couldn't get it to memorize stations or the time,  Everytime I turn off the car the stereo resets.  I have jvc kameleon stereo,  I also have a changer that I have to reset every time I cut the car off. How do I test to find out which cord is a memory cord, or how can I hook it up to help the memory work

T. Williams
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2004 at 11:05 AM / IP Logged  
Your memory wire is not powered.  It needs constant power from the battery.
Support the12volt.com
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic