the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Panasonic CY-VMD9000u

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
12v_rep 
Copper - Posts: 188
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2004 at 5:22 PM / IP Logged  
antonio010 wrote:

I'm unsure if you're referring to me but eBay can be a viable venue to obtain products at a fraction of the "local dealer" price.  I took as many precautions as I could to ensure that I'd be purchasing from a legitimate seller.  I haven't contacted the seller today but I had spoken to him numerous times yesterday when attempting the install.  Right now the unit is at an install center being "bench tested" for a nominal fee. 

If it turns out to be bad, I will send it back and receive my $ and have only suffered the frustration of having to wait a few more days to put a dvd player into my car.

I was making a blanket statement when I said what I did about the net and people buying from there, not you specifically. I agree that it is a way to save money, but it can also lead to bad things as well. Luckily it sounds like this guy will make it right if it does not work, but that is not always the case. As a rep and I am sure as a retailer as we have some here, it is discouraging the amount of 12 volt product that is bought from the web. The real kick in the nuts is when some guy, again not you, takes all the persons time on the retail floor to learn about the product only to go home and buy it off the web. Now in your case you bought something used, which is a different case. It is funny because what first brought me to this site was some kid saying that retailers don't mind if  "Joe Customer" comes into the store, uses the salesmens time and knowledge to see if he wants that unit, again only to go home to buy it from the web. The same kid said he comes here for the knowledge...which is cool and all, but this is not a retail store. I end up on my soap box when people like the above mentioned kid says stuff like he did. I just try and stress that if we do not support the local guy he will end up not being there for long, and then who will "Joe Customer" turn to for real advise. Again, this was NO WAY directed at you, and is really off the topic, but I didn't want you to think I was pointing fingers. Man, I hope this thing works out for you though, let us know what happens.

antonio010 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2004 at 8:02 PM / IP Logged  

I understand what you mean and agree with your point.  It must be discouraging to help a potential customer only to have him purchase it elsewhere.  My experience with local dealers is just that their markup leads me to explore other options, ie. the internet.  Sadly, I'm sure others feel the same.  :(

Anyhow, the shop I took it to confirmed our suspicions, according to them the unit is indeed defective.  As you can imagine I am annoyed.  I did, however, open it up to inspect it myself.  It does have a "burnt" smell to it, but I'm unable to pinpoint exactly where.  All the components seem to be in order, and as you suspected the fuses are soldered onto the board which makes replacing them a feat in itself.  The only thing that seems damaged is the cable that connects from the cd player to the lcd, it seems that it should rest flat against the metal but it has been moved.  I'm  unable to tell if the unit was opened before and tampered with or not.  Either way, I'm ready to give up.  I shouldn't have to examine this unit anyway. 

I've contacted the seller via e-mail detailing my problems and providing a link to this thread so he can see for himself that I did try in earnest to resolve it on my own.  Hopefully he does the right thing and gives me $ back.  I'd like to thank you Velocity Motorsports and 12v_rep for you help and quick responses, you guys are an asset to this forum.

When I get my $ back I think I will invest in the Kenwood KV-915 available at the local bestbuy.  My friend works there and they seem to get things at cost, their price for that particular unit is $816 for emplyees.  Being that I'll get it new I hope I have better luck.

Thanks again guys.

dinki 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2004 at 11:46 PM / IP Logged  
Is there a reset button?  That might do it
Panasonic CY-VMD9000u - Page 2 -- posted image.
antonio010 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: May 23, 2004 at 11:51 AM / IP Logged  

Yeah, I had tried the reset button repeatedly.  The unit was dead, I already boxed this thing up and will send it back.  My friend purchased the Kenwood KVT-915 model for me this morning, I'm just waiting until next weekend before I attempt that install.

Thanks though.

Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic