icon

Dash Speakers in a 1995 Jimmy

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
vesty16277 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2004 at 3:14 PM / IP Logged  
I am in the process of building a system in a 1995 GMC jimmy. I searched on crutchfield and they tell me i should have dash speakers but there are none they are in the doors...BUT there are empty dash holes with speaker covers...and just a cardboard cover, I was just wondering if there is any plugs just sitting there waiting for speakers? A local stereo shop told me that they should be up there. Front speakers as of now are in the kick panels and show that as aftermarket on crutchfield....So I am just confused on what to do...I was to use the dash setup and if I have to just run my own wires...OR (Hopefully) there are empty plugs waiting for speakers in the dash. I couldn't see any. Theres a big taped up clump of wires...should I cut the tape off and see? Just curious. Thanks.
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2004 at 4:25 PM / IP Logged  
The factory wiring should be in the dash near the speaker holes in the dash. The plugs will be taped to something, but may be hard to reach. They won't be buried inside any harness, but may be taped to it. The right front will have a dark(-)and light green(+)wire in it. The left front has a tan (+) and a gray (-). in it. They should be connected already to the factory door speaker wires.
sparky
vesty16277 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2004 at 5:21 PM / IP Logged  
so the plugs are already used and I'll have to run new wire? Or the wires are modified and sent down to the door so that leaves the plugs still in the dash? Sorry I'm an idiot haha. Thanks tho for the wire color info and polarities
italnpimp59 
Silver - Posts: 427
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2004 at 6:59 PM / IP Logged  
they should be in that hole somewhere.  just pry the grill off carefully with a flathead screwdriver and find them.  left front should be gray and tan wires, and right front should be dark green and light green
vesty16277 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2004 at 9:18 PM / IP Logged  
I don't know guys....i opened both sides and found nothing. Left side had alot more wires, but everything is connected together with something. I'll check for these color wires and see what i can find. No harness's tho. Its just two empty holes, and nothing just taped either to any place. : /
vesty16277 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2004 at 9:58 PM / IP Logged  
ok i said f**k the dash harnasses, and pulled the rubber protectors between the door and body and looked for wires that way...right side correct one green one light green WOOHOO! Left side...heres the doosy...3 tans, and 4 greys...is there anyway to test the wires without ripping them apart? I have a test light that i can poke into the wire, I tried that with the stereo off...then turned it on...to see if it would light but nothing happened so i dunno if thats the way to go, and the speaker on that side doesn't even work...so if theres not a full circuit to the speaker will it light?
vesty16277 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2004 at 10:01 PM / IP Logged  
oh yeah its all power everything, power mirror, power windows/locks. I was just gonna take the door panel off...but my dad did that once before to replace the mirror and he said it took 2 hrs to get the panel back on because of the slide lock on the panel wouldn't hook back up to the metal rod connected to the lock. Any suggestions? Then i could really see whats connected to the speaker.
oldsbravo5 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2004 at 11:12 PM / IP Logged  

Shouldnt be that hard to take off the door.  I took my doors off of my '97 Bravada (same damn thing as a '95 Blazer) over the weekend and it was hard putting the first door back on back on but after that it was a breeze...

Post on here if you need pointers on gettin em off/back on

Bravadas are cool
vesty16277 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 23, 2004 at 12:05 AM / IP Logged  
I dunno I wasn't around when the door came off, I was all for taking it off and my dad stopped me and said better check another way...he blows smoke sometimes. I got the right side hooked up....two green wires....sounds awsome. But the left is still kicking my ass. I think i am just gonna have to test each one to figure it out...Dash Speakers in a 1995 Jimmy -- posted image.
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 23, 2004 at 9:23 AM / IP Logged  
Well... there was a factory component set in my 98 suburban (im not sure if it'd be the same as your 95 gimmy or not) and there were two grays and two tans. One set ran to the tweeter and the other ran to the woofer. I'm not sure you would have four tans and 3 grays though. Here is the info for your vehicle. Try connecting you speaker to one of the tan and gray wires.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic