the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

rough figure for db's of my setup

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 24, 2004 at 9:42 AM / IP Logged  
sorry, had to leave the room for a few.
Yes, this is an example of cabin gain. You get more output with the woofers closerto the back of the car, bucause the sound loads up, the same way a woofer loads up in a house when you shove it all the way in the corner, but you will always get a smoother output (in the car or the house) if you minimize the number of hard surfaces the sound waves interact with. I know, they will interact with ALL the surfaces, I am referring to loading interaction. Infinite baffle yeilds zero dB gain, an enclosure on the floor will yeild 3dB gain, in the corner of the wall/floor boundary will yeild 6dB, and in a corner on the floor will yeild 9dB, but again, these figures are not hard and fast, they will change, based on the boundary surfaces, and frequencies being reproduced.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
chevyman26 
Copper - Posts: 227
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 24, 2004 at 11:02 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks! Can I ask-- what classes and coursework did you take to learn all the minute details of car audio like this?  I took a basic electricity and automotive elec. classes when I was in an Auto. Technicians course 8 years ago, though I do not work with cars professionally. I love to work with car audio whenever I have time, though, and want to know all the little details and what actually makes things work and why. I have been picking up a lot since I joined this forum, but a lot of times on here the surface just gets scratched and I am still left curious about what was being talked about between other members. I live sort of in the middle of nowhere, so I don't have access to any decent tech. schools (unless I quit my job to commute full time, but it gets hard to make a house payment with no job.)

Just wondering I guess...

Thanks

You'd better get me out of this lord... or else you'll have me to deal with. -- Hunter S. Thompson "F.A.L.I.L.V."
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 24, 2004 at 1:16 PM / IP Logged  

I gotta point out 2 things. First off the 8000 are avalible in dual 4 ohm so if he has those then he can get his 2 ohm load. Second of all even if the kicker amp was 2 ohm stable its not near enough power. Those subs are pretty power hungry and since they are inevitably in a small sealed box he is gonna need more power

double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
lspker 
Silver - Posts: 503
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 24, 2004 at 9:30 PM / IP Logged  
We use a very similar formula, and find it a very quick way to get an spl number.  With enough use you can be close on cabin gain.  We used it when competing, helpful to verify meters, and if your compeditor was "legal".  When you get good at it, you can be within 2 dB.
shane7643701 
Copper - Posts: 41
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 25, 2004 at 5:53 AM / IP Logged  
well I have'nt got the subs yet , I was trying to decide on the voice coil, single or dual, also I know that one of the kicker kx800.2 is not enough power for 4 of the subs, they are 400 watts rms each, so I will probally be running 2 of them(amps) also the subs will be in a sealed enclosure under the rear seat of a 94 gmc sierra ext. cab, but here is another idea that I came up with, would it be better for me to run different subs such as alpine's rather than having to buy another amp plus my subs? And I got one more ? I temporarley have 2 12" kick comp cvr'r (dvc 400watts rms) but they wont fit all the way under my seat(looks like crap sticking out) I had this setup in my 89 camaro and the bass was hard hitting, but since I put it in my truck, the bass dont hit as hard anyone have any idea of this? oh but what I was asking is right now I have the 12's in my truck and if I bought like 4 of the alpine's which ever ones have the rms of about 800 watts toal for 4 subs and ran them would'nt I actually have better bass because of moving more air? Thanx for all the help, Is close to 135db's pretty good for daily driver? I dont enter in comps, I just love my tunes! lol
live in your world, come play in mine
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 25, 2004 at 3:28 PM / IP Logged  
How do you gain this kind of info chevyman26, years and years of experience cough cough, oxygen mask please......and most importantly asking a questions to which someone will answer. Stephen Kephart is fairly new to the game (age wise) I would summise (sorry if I am wrong dude), but he has also lined up with a manufacturer that can teach him the proper information and how to use it as well. There should be way more people like that in this industry. There is no substitution for learning something yourself when taught by the proper person or company.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
chevyman26 
Copper - Posts: 227
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 26, 2004 at 12:19 AM / IP Logged  
shane7643701- I'm not able to accurately answer your questions as the others here are, but hey- if you find a way to fit 4 subs under your rear seat without them "sticking out and looking like crap" please let me know. No sarcasism intended here! I want to do something similar in my 97, but don't see it possible without moving the seat or having it stick out. Any new ideas would be appreciated!
You'd better get me out of this lord... or else you'll have me to deal with. -- Hunter S. Thompson "F.A.L.I.L.V."
shane7643701 
Copper - Posts: 41
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 26, 2004 at 5:09 AM / IP Logged  
chevyman26- 10's will fit under the seat, and if you make them front firing you can get 4 in there and still get the box under the seat, and the box will set right under the edge of the seat, so I dont see how this hard to understand, would you like me to build the box for you?
live in your world, come play in mine
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic